Author Topic: New Guy, Couple Questions.  (Read 6442 times)

Offline TomC

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
New Guy, Couple Questions.
« on: November 05, 2005, 09:14:23 am »
New Guy, Couple Questions.
Post by Squidd on May 13, 2005, 8:09pm

Hey everybody...

I'm ready to take the plunge into LMR and set up my first mower...

Starting in IMOW (under15hp Flathead)

I have two chassis available to me...which is "better"

A Craftsman w/straight 4speed and 3/16" "folded" channel frame...or an "H" pattern (3 speed) Dynamark with thin "stamped" frame...

Seems the Craftsman would be the stronger of the two, but would it be too heavy/stiff...? Seems to be a bit "tall"...

Or is the Dynamark (with tube reinforcing) be lighter/lower?? Or too weak overall...?

And a "tech" question...In IMOW, can I mix and match chassis and transaxel... or am I stuck with what came "stock...?

Re: New Guy, Couple Questions.
Post by George Herrin on May 13, 2005, 8:37pm

The chassis is personal preferance you will want to keep both tires on the ground as much as possible. From what I have seen the heavier mowers actually do better. Remeber you cannot modify the transaxle at all and yes you can swap transaxles around.

Post by Squidd on May 13, 2005, 8:45pm

Is there any way (or is it "legal" ) to lower the chassis...??

IE: Can I "raise" the transaxle (lower over frame) and "chop the front axle into the frame to lower it...?

The Craftsman is 12" from the ground in "stock" configueration and the rules state 8" "minimum"..

Also can I "channel" the body over the frame to lower seat, fenders and hood...??

Post by George Herrin on May 14, 2005, 2:06am

NO to all except the building a front end. You may fabricate the front axle but it must remain 8" high at the lowest point on the front of the frame. You cannot lower the rear at all. You can not alter the body work at all. The intent on IMOW is a regulated class but faster than stock. Most front axles suck is why we allow the fabricating of them. And there is specific type axles it must still use in IMOW class. If you no not have the rule book go to letsmow.com and download it for more specifics.
George

Post by Squidd on May 14, 2005, 7:35am

I have the "Rule Book" but it is still relatively "vague" on certain "interpretations"... ;)..

That's why I'm asking ahead of time...

IE: "B-4 Body"... Must be stock, without external modifications...Hood must be secure..."

OK I can leave the "external" body panels stock, but can I lower the internal mounts to lower the entire hood slightly..??

Can I remove the seat springs/hinges to lower seat to fender pan...?

Can I "discreetly" lower fender mounts and fenders to sit tight on frame...?

"Decks".. Says "mount factory deck" and than further on " Deck halves may be mounted to running boards"... So...

Sounds like I can cut an old deck up and mount a smaller piece up under the running board so that it "looks" like a full deck...

On one side I have a "rounded" edge (where blade spins") on the other side I have a big, open, exhaust "chute" ...

Can I cut up two smaller decks and have two rounded edges (seems safer) or do I need to "box in' the open chute and mount that, or do I leave the big, open raw edge of the chute on the right side of the deck...?

Stuff like this needs a little "clarification" or an old stock car racer like me will, uhhh, "push" ;) the rules to my advantage...

Actually, I'm hooking up with Eric Hollinger and a couple Northwoods Racers this afternoon for a bit of hands on "bench" racing...Just wanted to get a bit of a heads up...

I don't want to show up with a 50lb "deck" if everybody else has 15lb 1/2 panels... :-/

Post by George Herrin on May 14, 2005, 8:13am

Answers follow your questions in caps.
George

OK I can leave the "external" body panels stock, but can I lower the
internal mounts to lower the entire hood slightly..??
NO YOU CANNOT

Can I remove the seat springs/hinges to lower seat to fender pan...?
YES YOU CAN

Can I "discreetly" lower fender mounts and fenders to sit tight on
frame...?
NO YOU CANNOT

"Decks".. Says "mount factory deck" and than further on " Deck halves
may be mounted to running boards"... So...

Sounds like I can cut an old deck up and mount a smaller piece up
under the running board so that it "looks" like a full deck...
CORRECT

On one side I have a "rounded" edge (where blade spins") on the other
side I have a big, open, exhaust "chute" ...

Can I cut up two smaller decks and have two rounded edges (seems
safer) or do I need to "box in' the open chute and mount that, or do I
leave the big, open raw edge of the chute on the right side of the
deck...?
EITHER WAY WILL WORKWHICH EVER YOU PREFER

anything