Author Topic: Test and tune for 08  (Read 5652 times)

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Test and tune for 08
« on: May 17, 2008, 11:00:44 pm »
Well we had our test and tune today for the '08 season. The 28 on my boys tractor runs extremly well. No problems, and has a whole lot more power. His engine is a stock bore 28 with an ohv rod, light piston, billet dog bone and a lmt with a bottom adjuster and a air cleaner setup from Don G. I also put an 11hp head on it with some very mild port work on the block. You guys know about my big opposed twin. I have stock rods with bearing inserts, Don G cam, billet steel flywheel, crank trigger ignition and alot of port work and block prep. I am very impressed with the twin. I pulled it 6 times and it only pushed out 4 oz. of oil into the catch can. Pulling in the same class as last year at 800lbs I ran a 25 tooth third wich is 2mph faster than last years 23 tooth gear. about 16% faster. The engine ran up into the rpm and stayed there. The tractor is alot faster and the engine ran a higher rpm even with the faster gear. I can't tell how high it revs because i don't have a tach yet. I do know when checking the rpm with the hand held laser tach we use in our club with a quick run of the throttle it will run 6000-6100. That is 1200 rpm more than it would turn last year. I can say an opposed a 6000 is insane.

Dennis
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline outlawmower

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Test and tune for 08
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 08:36:34 am »
It sounds like you had a good day of pulling! Got any pictures? Video?
PUT YOUR GAME FACE ON!!!

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 10:41:46 am »
I pulled it 6 times and it only pushed out 4 oz. of oil into the catch can.
:omg:  Is that normal and acceptable in a twin...??? :omg:
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 12:38:59 pm »
I am not sure on the amount of oil Randy. I am pretty sure that it has alot to do with the way the sheilded area in the block is designed. There realy isn't a real good spot to place the vent ports in the block. I don't think it would be as bad in vertical form because the oil has to go up into the sheilded area 2 inches to get out. On my horizontal motor the sheild area is laying horizontal as well. The oil sits in the sheild area and doesnt run out and gravity has no effect because it is a shelf basically when you lay a twin on its side. I know on the roundy round your engine goes to peak and then down. My engine was at WOT for half a minute loaded when going down the track. In normal operation at idle and part throttle I can take the vent lines off at the block and not get any oil push. You do get oil with a wide open burp of the throttle. If I had to do it over I would have tig welded some stock into the block and extended the sheilding out towards the pto cover. I am positive you wouldn't have the problem in vertical form.

Dennis
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 02:09:56 pm »
Got it...

Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"