Author Topic: 28 ARC flywheel  (Read 5221 times)

Offline boonesfarmer

• View Profile
28 ARC flywheel
« on: May 20, 2006, 10:42:44 am »
Hey guys,  I havnt been posting any but I've been reading tons.  My name is Brauc and thank you all for your info.   I have a question I havnt seen yet...  to start  I got an ARC flywheel not long ago and also got the Nippo starter to go along with it.  My problem is this...  It seems as much as I can posibly shim the starter in or out it shreds the heck out of the aluminium ring gear on the flywheel.  It also doesnt appear to have enough throw on the starter to catch the flywheel completely.  So I guess its only shreding the bottom half of the teeth.  I've got the flywheel down as far as I can get it.  Anyone else seing anything like that??

Nice to meet you all and keep the shiney side up!

Offline boonesfarmer

• View Profile
28 ARC flywheel
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 09:51:13 pm »
so has nobody had that brand of trouble or have I not posted enough to be one of the gang?  I'm seriously curious and thankfull about any and all imput you all have.

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
28 ARC flywheel
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 10:23:40 pm »
Patience is a virtue!!!! :wink:  Sometimes it's takes a bit for someone to get to your question. NOW give a bit more info so we maybe can help with your situation. Which motor have you put this wheel and starter on!! Have you lapped the wheel to the crank per instructions. Have you removed the charging system/altenator/stator from top of block before putting wheel on? I have installed one on about every thing they are made for and have yet to have any problems mounting them or them working correctly. Shim out too much they eat the gears off don't shim emough the starter gear hangs but will wear it to fit and work correctly eventually. I shim to a happy medium between that. I want it snug but not to the point it hangs.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • North Dakota Lawn Mower Racing Association
28 ARC flywheel
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 10:58:30 pm »
Hi brauc,

Have you contacted Tom Cole at ARC concerning this problem? He's very conscientious about customer satisfaction, and if you're having a problem I'm sure he would like to hear about it. Click the memberlist link up top there, he's the first name on the list around here. Give him a shout, I think you'll find him very helpful.

Rocky

Offline boonesfarmer

• View Profile
28 ARC flywheel
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 08:46:33 pm »
Are you kidding me!  

Darn it I feel like an idiot!  Sorry George, I didnt mean to offend you or anyone else by not responding quicker.  I'm just darn glad you did.   So what your telling me is that all that electronic garbage on top of the crank is indeed garbage.  I can tell now by looking at it not having the magnets inside like the stock flywheel.  But at the time I installed it (with no directions from the factory mind you) I was under the consumption that I should take the old one off and put the new one on with the keyway in the same place.  Drive it down as far as I could and go racing.   I honestly got nothing but a parts list from ARC and a invoice.  So if I'm hearing you right...Get rid of the electrical junk.  Drive it down a little further.  Get a new ring gear  for the new flywheel 'cause mines now officially junk.  And then go beat the pants off my friends and foes.  WOW!  I just wish I would have known better having droped the kind of coin I did.  (I'm sure you know what that stuff runs).  I havnt dropped ARC a line yet.  I wanted to see if anyone had that problem first.  Do I feel like an idiot!!  And I wish they would have let a cat know before I wrecked it and had to ask around.  Makes sence to me now.  Thanks again, George and Mowdak.

P.S.  28 inch flatty made in 94 Electric start B&S

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
28 ARC flywheel
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 09:08:43 pm »
I am not offended! Are you! :shock: I simply was saying we sometimes can get to all posts right NOW so to speak. And when diagnosing we need more info. And yes remove the charging system and lap the wheel to the crank and try it again.
George Herrin #6
Retired from BP

Offline boonesfarmer

• View Profile
28 ARC flywheel
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 09:43:17 pm »
Heck no buddy!  Your the man around here!!!!  I'm certainly not mad and on the contrary... darn glad to have folks like you around to talk shop with.  Thanks again.  I am however afraid that ring gear may just be garbage.  A little too much showing off with the new speed parts.  Didnt take it long to be hamburger half way up the teeth.  I knew something must be goofy.  I'll get 'er straightened out and be back on the track.  Like I said before, I just think its :censored: that happened without knowing any better.  And believe me when I tell you I didnt know any better.  If I had ANY directions of ANY kind it was a stupid thing that could have been avoided.  I'll take that up with them.  I just hope it doesnt happen to someone else.  Once again, thanks george and I look foreward to chatting with you and everyone else about anything and everthing I can contribute to burning gas and killing bugs at high speed on anything that comes out of my shop.

Brauc

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
28 ARC flywheel
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 10:21:27 pm »
good deal :D
George Herrin #6
Retired from BP

Offline TomC

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
28 ARC flywheel
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 03:14:06 pm »
I don't know why you didn't get any instructions with your flywheel, you should have received some, but you are not the first person to mention that to me, so I will check into it.

We do have an 800 number listed on our website, with a contact us page with email info.

Plus, there's this website, which I built to help with questions just like this.

My phone number is 800-521-3560
My email address is tom@arcracing.com
And if you ask for me directly here, one of these guys will let me know in a hurry.  PLEASE don't hesitate to contact me with questions or problems.  I promise I'm not a mean guy (unless we are on the same racetrack  :) ) and I will try to help you.

anything