Author Topic: 18 hp model 42  (Read 3849 times)

Offline nothingtogain244

• View Profile
18 hp model 42
« on: May 12, 2006, 10:40:41 pm »
I have recently picked up a 18 hp opposed twin that is a model 42 and i was wondering how these engines hold up. I havent really heard to much about them. How many RPM's can they handle stock. And also, is there any aftermarket high performance parts i can find for this motor? Thanks for any info.

Offline tory

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
18 hp model 42
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 10:53:46 pm »
From what I understand the secret to holding them together is to keep the rpm's low.They are a good low end torque moter but do not hold up well under high revs.Loosining up the moter to high specs seems to help also(especially the top rod)Unfortinitly I dont think there is to much availible aftermarket for them.you have to get creative.TB

Offline speeddemon0308

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
18 hp model 42
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 11:35:34 pm »
i had a 14 opposed twin ( same thing pretty much...) and i had it revin to about 5500 rpm i know that they can take that much but not for mabey over 5-10 seconds......  and they do have alot of bottom end torque
ww.soltra.ca
Modified Class 3X
speed_demon0308@hotmail.com
Belle River Ont.

I promise won't load anymore 39 kb pictures to my signature!! :D

Offline nothingtogain244

• View Profile
18 hp model 42
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 09:55:38 pm »
thanks. i was wondering what parts go bad on them at high RPM's so i can have them made for me. (i know a machinest. Good people to know) any input would be much apretiated. And also, What do you mean by "losseing the motor up to high specs?

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
18 hp model 42
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 11:12:35 pm »
Rods are the weak links
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline tory

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
18 hp model 42
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 08:46:49 pm »
If you hone or loosen the rod journals and cylinder bore to high tolerance,when they swell under high temp. you well have less chance of it setting up and breaking the rods.On a tight moter you can almost feel it bind as it heats up.If you know a good machinist,I would check into making stronger rods,but you may need to be concerned about balence.Maybe not with a 2 cylinder.Also make shur the oiling holes are there and maybe find a way to help lube the upper rod better.That seems to be the first one to go.hope this helps.TB