Author Topic: Crank Trigger Ignition  (Read 11231 times)

Offline Yosimite Sam

• View Profile
Crank Trigger Ignition
« on: March 19, 2008, 10:18:31 am »
Hello Everyone,

I race with a group in Northwest Louisiana and I am currently building an engine for a Super Modified class, which has very little restrictions on the motor. Reading Brian Millers tips, he talks about crank trigger ignitions that will will work on virtually all small engines. He mentions crank trigger set up on a Briggs Vanguard, using a Ford Control Module with one crank sensor and two coils. I am interested in putting this iggy on my Kohler 18 HP V Twin.

My question is: With this set up, when #1 plug fires, #2 plug fires also. If #1 is 25 degrees BTDC, that would position #2 lagging 45 degrees behind #1 which would be 70 degrees BTDC. At this point would there be a mixture in #2 and what would result when #2 fired? I understand that both plugs fire during compression and exhaust strokes, with no harm, but I'm confused about the sequence of compression strokes. Am I overlooking something?

I think this has been done successfully, but any help or input for my understanding would be greatly appreciated, before I invest in parts.

Thanks,
Wayne

Offline Yosimite Sam

• View Profile
Re: Crank Trigger Ignition
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 12:48:29 am »
The more I think about this, I think it won't work unless I have 2 seperate control modules, 2 sensors, 2 trigger screws and 2 coils treating each cylinder seperately. Or a distributor. Anybody agree?

Wheelhorseracer

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 06:45:52 am »
I thought the same thing for my opposed.. I have personally saw this work on the K-Series single cylinder Kohlers but not on multi cylinder. If someone does have the time to figure it out I would love to use it..

I personally would love to run a multiple spark type system like an MSD .. etc.. for a nice nice clean burn....

Offline rebelchild16

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 08:28:47 am »
As said it is designed to fire on compression and exhaust stroke. when one fires on compression the other fires on exhaust stroke to clean any unburned fuel in the chamber for a better and cleaner burn. This makes tuning easier to some extent.Personally I use the briggs coils on every thing i can there trouble free and can turn as many RPM's as you need. The trigger system to me has always give a lot of trouble. If you use this system keep plenty parts on hand and a good battery.

:bash: Forgot to say that the degree of the spark on the exhaust side doesn't matter as the exhaust valve is open anyway and it don't work against the compression side.
Larry n Jeannie
rogersville ala
BTMRA V.P.

There's no blade of grass safe!

Offline Big daddy

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 12:23:11 pm »
Not meaning to take anything from Miller, but some of the stuff on his website you have take with a grain of salt. Crank trigger in my opinion is a waste of time. We run the Kohler points you buy from NAPA. They have a stronger spring and will definately take what RPM's these motors can dish. Been running them for years, do not have any trouble with them moving. Somethings need to stay simple with as few parts as possible.
Bruce Litton

Offline outlawmower

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 01:17:19 pm »
Not meaning to take anything from Miller, but some of the stuff on his website you have take with a grain of salt. Crank trigger in my opinion is a waste of time. We run the Kohler points you buy from NAPA. They have a stronger spring and will definately take what RPM's these motors can dish. Been running them for years, do not have any trouble with them moving. Somethings need to stay simple with as few parts as possible.

So true! We are running those same points on our first motor and they havnt failed yet!
PUT YOUR GAME FACE ON!!!

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 01:42:23 pm »
Yup I don't pull but roundy round and I have tried the electronic stuff . And trust me I have yet to see a difference over eom Briggs coils good enough to warrant the cost of triggers and spark boxes and such. And if you have a failure whats the chance of borrowing what ya need from a fellow racer but now oem parts fail your chances are much greater. Yet I have never had a oem briggs coil fail me on my racers.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline Yosimite Sam

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 02:53:27 pm »
Thanks Folks,
That's what I needed to hear. My motor runs pretty strong right now, but I thought it might help at low speeds with a little hotter spark. If it's cold, it doesn't start real easy, but I can live with that. I appreciate the input, ya'll are the best.
Wayne

Wheelhorseracer

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 03:38:27 pm »
This is the coil I run on my puller... I used because it was free and came with something I bought on E-bay..

I just ran a 1.6 ohm ballast resistor and hooked her up... My points work fine.. I check them once and a while..

This coil really makes a nice spark and seems to burn the fuel really well.. and looks nice..

Offline outlawmower

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 03:54:03 pm »
We run MSD blaster 2 coil with our points. Burns the methonal pretty well.
PUT YOUR GAME FACE ON!!!

Offline Big daddy

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 04:07:22 pm »
We run the volkswagen blue coils, we have found that coils for a v8 will burn up due the extended soak time with a single cylinder engine, they are not very expensive I think I have bought 2 of them in 10 years.
Bruce Litton

Offline outlawmower

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 04:27:26 pm »
We run the volkswagen blue coils, we have found that coils for a v8 will burn up due the extended soak time with a single cylinder engine, they are not very expensive I think I have bought 2 of them in 10 years.

The blaster coils have not done that yet to us but, the blue bosch coils have. Last year while making a run it burnt up near the end and then engine quit on us.
PUT YOUR GAME FACE ON!!!

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 11:40:31 pm »
I am running a crank trigger on my opposed becuase I had a billet steel wheel made for it. It is acually realy simple on an opposed engine to set the ignition up. I can pull more timing out of it with the crank trigger setup. The factory ford ign modules retard the timing 20* to help it start a little better as well. If you run an oddball engine and have a custom flywheel made you have to run an electronic setup.

Dennis
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan