Author Topic: Help me have some fun  (Read 4755 times)

Offline SMahaffey

• View Profile
Help me have some fun
« on: March 27, 2006, 11:03:28 pm »
well, A freind of mine got a new mower and gave me his old one to play with.  Im not one to leave anything alone.  Imm looking to make it go fast just for the heck of it, not to race.  Ive built a few briggs motors before but nothing as big as this or laying sidways.  Ive got a 14.5hp OHV IC engine.  I have a few questions about it:

1. The govener gear thingy, can I get rid of it or do I need it.  I would like to rev up to 6000rpms?

2. How much can I mill the head?

3. I plan on running methanol with a 10% mix of Nitromethane (worked in the past, plus I have a gallon of Nitro ive been dying to use)  should I advance timing?

4. Im going to Fab up an intake manifold, what is the ideal length for what I want to do.

5. What size exhaust pipe should I use.

6. That big weight thingy that the crank rides/moves around in the block, what is that for?

7. Im not looking to spend a whole lot of $$$, but can you think of any quick power ideas.  If it blows it blows.

If you can think of anything that would be usefull for me please tell me.

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • North Dakota Lawn Mower Racing Association
Re: Help me have some fun
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 11:48:02 pm »
Quote from: "SMahaffey"
well, A freind of mine got a new mower and gave me his old one to play with.  Im not one to leave anything alone.  Imm looking to make it go fast just for the heck of it, not to race.  Ive built a few briggs motors before but nothing as big as this or laying sidways.  Ive got a 14.5hp OHV IC engine.  I have a few questions about it:

1. The govener gear thingy, can I get rid of it or do I need it.  I would like to rev up to 6000rpms?

You can get rid of it, in fact if you want to rev up to 6,000 rpms you're going to have to get rid of it, cause it's designed to prevent you from revving up to 6,000 rpms! Before you do however, you should invest in better brakes, a helmet, and a good insurance policy.

2. How much can I mill the head?

That is totally dependent upon which direction you set it on the milling machine. You can mill it a whole lot further one direction than you can the other!

3. I plan on running methanol with a 10% mix of Nitromethane (worked in the past, plus I have a gallon of Nitro ive been dying to use)  should I advance timing?

See the thread here - http://www.heymow.com/viewtopic.php?t=466

4. Im going to Fab up an intake manifold, what is the ideal length for what I want to do.

27.4935673 inches

5. What size exhaust pipe should I use.

Depends on what size your exhaust port is.

6. That big weight thingy that the crank rides/moves around in the block, what is that for?

It is typically believed that big weight thingy that moves around there in the block is in there to balance the engine. But, since you want to do this all low budget, you aren't concerned about it blowing up, and you're wanting to turn this engine nearly twice the RPMs that there weight thingy is designed to be turning to begin with... It's pretty much irrelevant! Just ignore it!!

7. Im not looking to spend a whole lot of $$$, but can you think of any quick power ideas.  If it blows it blows.

If you can think of anything that would be usefull for me please tell me.

On the anything usefull for $0, no... on the if it blows it blows - See the link here http://www.heymow.com/viewtopic.php?p=2481#2481

Offline SMahaffey

• View Profile
Help me have some fun
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 09:34:39 pm »
I just want to mill the head FLAT not at an angle or anything.  Any idea on the limit with stock cam before the valve hit he piston.  I guess i could use some clay to find out.