Author Topic: 23hp vangaurd  (Read 2410 times)

Offline josh_2562

• View Profile
23hp vangaurd
« on: September 15, 2007, 09:19:19 pm »
 Hello

I have been reading alot of post on here and hope you guy and gals can help me. I have a 23hp vanguard engine. What are some thing I can do to it to get a little more hp from it? The engine is on a small airboat? I know that this is a lawn mower racing forum, but I can't find any one else that know about these engines. What I need from this engine is for it to be able to turn at 4000rpms with a prop. right now it will only spin the prop to 2800rpms. I just got this boat and engine so theres not much I know about it. can this engine run at 2800rpms safely? What i mean is can I run around holding it a wide open with out hurting it? I see that some of you are turning your engine up to 6000rpms and higher. Thanks for any help Josh

Offline chuckm

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 23hp vangaurd
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 07:54:22 am »
Josh, It may not be the engine! They are design to run 3600 rpm /w gov all day mowing grass etc. Since you can't get more than 2800 I spec you have the wrong
pitched prop for the hp that you are running.Since you just got this boat that could
be the reason they got rid of it. The pitch has a lot to do with what it takes for hp
to turn it the rpm you want. If that is not the problem then maybe the engine has some things going wrong inside!
chuckm
Chuck Moritz
Sutton, Nebraska
age 58