Author Topic: Question about transmission oil/ grease  (Read 3525 times)

Offline grizzly812

• View Profile
Question about transmission oil/ grease
« on: March 11, 2006, 09:51:25 pm »
I have a 20hp v-twin Murray garden tractor which I geared up to play with in the neighborhood with a 6 inch pulley on the engine and a 3 inch on the tranny.

Everything works great but the tranny makes a pretty gnarly grinding noise now that its turning faster. I would like to know if some noise from the tranny is normal because its moving much faster or if its something to worry about. And if so how can I fix it?

Also the case is filled with the grease that was mentioned on here before. I know its a peerless tranny (thnx to the tag on the front) but other than that its a five speed and thats all I know. I tried putting some gear oil in the case and it drips out of the areas around the axle shafts. So my question is is this normal and is there anyway to convert this to hold oil easily? Is it even worth it?

BTW im a noob to lawn mower racing so dont know about the different trannys etc.
Steven

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 12:31:25 am »
get you some 00 grease from a mower shop its a cross between grease and oil works very well and won't just run out but not thick enough it won't sling around and lube the other parts.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline grizzly812

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 01:11:20 pm »
Alright ill take a look into that next time I get to a mower shop. Thanks for the response.
Steven