Author Topic: intek vs. vanguard  (Read 32172 times)

Offline mower_mulisha

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: intek vs. vanguard
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2007, 10:35:35 pm »
Well acutally he got that red thong....think with the new weight loss it's now his lucky pair!!  :lol:  As for what Bert get's well, let's just say I don't kiss and tell..ha ha. No Bert's just an honest guy that helps out the sport more than he get's credit for. I think his announcing is what keeps the fan's more entertained than us racing.  That is if were at a place that's bright enough to comprehend his jokes!! That and the sound his Thunder Twins put out. Basically any Tecumseh....I didn't want one just because they're the biggest and baddest of the bad of the BP class motors... :badgrin:...that and they just sound mean. As for the flowers....he doesn't prefer those. I just supply him with beverages after a race, I skip the flowers and go right to getting him drunk!  :woohoo:

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2007, 10:43:50 pm »
Oh hold there. I promise you this if Jim pulled Tom on the straight it was not due to a Kawasucki having more power!!! It was because Tom couldn't get his POWER to the ground. He was spinning half way down the straight. It didn't even begin to hook up till after the flag stand. I know I am always in close contact with Tom on race weekends. You see that is the Mower and Chassis I won my second BP championship on. Then I gave it to TOM Lock stock and Barrell. That mower was built for me a fat man, he still is learning how to drive it just think when he really gets comfortable. NOW let me put my two cents in here. I have built and raced 3 twins in my racing career. A Vanguard, and intek and my latest a Tecumseh. The Vanguard was my bread and butter. This motor was designed and built to race and be the bread and butter for Briggs as a work horse. Anyone can bolt goodies in and have a 33+ hp motor with no port work. ANd if took care of it does not break period. It is hands down for the money the most dependable easiest to build motor out there for racing. It revs QUICK and hard and I have turned them 11,500 rpms by accident mind you and it lived. My first motor Mowed 2 years 5 6 days a week non stop except for service. I know it was bought and serviced where I worked. Then I raced it stock with out refreshing it for 2 years finishing 5th in points nationally the second year. Then pulled it apart still not ringing it simply adding cam rods roller rockers and head work I raced it two more years. Then rebuilt it and sold it two years ago. Still running in Florida to this day. And will still run with the best of them. The intek we built 4 maybe 5 years ago. head work and a #3 iskey cam. Now this cam is a bottom end cam 5200 its done. And the intek still didn't want to run on bottom end. It was NOT a torque motor. Its was a high end motor even with the bottom end cam. That was then BUT tecnology has changed since then. I have built some here lately. Using all the goodies and precision cams with roller rockers. Yes there are rollers out there. The vanguards bolt right on simply use the intek stud . Anyhow these motors do run good rev pretty good too. But they are still more of a top end motor. Gotta keep em twisted up to get them off the corner. But I have found something that helps and have them running already. Key in these motors is the port work and not so much how much you do but the shape of the port when done and the valve train. And that I will not talk any further on. With that and our EC blue printed dominator intek two barrel carbs they come alive. But still they lack what I want on the bottom end of a motor. NOW the Tecumseh Thunder twins. The Tecumseh simply put is a brute torque monster. When built right its the best of both worlds the bottom end torque and top end HP. It will pull like a mule from 2000 to 8000 rpm. Well lets say mine will. And yea Bert kringes when I hit 8000. I tend to keep it 6500 to 7200 but 8000 does come around sometimes. While I am a briggs man always will be, I love the Tecumseh twin. While every motor has it own paticulars like this has good bottom and no top or its pretty even all the way across but just not what it needs to be or no bottom and all top end the Tecumseh built right is all of it rolled into one. Again key is heads and its the only motor out there with a dual carb setup. That is worth its weight in gold. And as good as my motor is. Like Bert said we have only begun to scratch the hp potential of these motors. In my opinion the tecumseh is the Hemi of the lawn mower motors. LIKE it or Not. Thats my opinions. And I have built as many of them all as most out there. You never know when you are running against one of my motors. I don't do it for a living nor want to I simply do it because I enjoy doing it. And those in the know know what kinda HP I put out. But thats a different story altether and not one I will get into here. Thats my two cents on the different motors.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline Don Gienger

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.g-team.us/
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2007, 02:59:52 pm »
 :lol: This is real fun stuff,
Do go on.
#1 Comparing 4 year old motors to the present parts and ideas done to an Intek?
#2 Only 50 CID?
#3 Tire spinning issues.
Next thing you know the dirt won't be right or the air temp was off and that is why and because.
Dang guys. Fun affordable sport it still is to 90% of the racers out there including myself.
You want to bring a late model to a hobby stock class go ahead. Win, loose or draw I will have finished the day with just as big as smile as the winner.
Don
PS I love talking Hot Rod. I mean all the smack talk is fun. So if you are reading something into this then you are the fool not me.
I am living a life long dream of building things and things that do well and having a blast seeing you all running my stuff and doing well too.
Founder NDLMRA
NDLMRA Race Director
2007 USLMRA CP Class Champ
G-Team Racing
G-Force Engines
The G-Team E-Bay Store!

Offline Tom Fox

• Global Moderator
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2007, 03:21:03 pm »
Yep...reminds me of about 15 years ago.....sitting on a bar stool at the local speed shop bench racing!......now I'm on vacation in Virginia Beach talking on a computer!  Boy how the times have changed!!!
Tom Fox       
Brookfield, CT

Offline Don Gienger

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2007, 03:37:52 pm »
Hey Tom,
I am on my computer at Bobcat MFG. I have to work 12's this week :doh:
But for me this is fun. I have Ford and Mopar Buddies and they would go  on and on and I would too.
Nothing personal just loads of fun.
Many People think I have it in for George or Bert. I do not in anyway. This is not personal just Blah Blah Blah.
For some little guy from ND working a full time job and building mowers and parts on the side and competing with G and B WOW!! I can't even believe I am compared with these guys.
They have Dyno's and Big Machineshops and I have a Lathe in my wife's 22 x 22 garage!!!
You just got to love this.
Don
Founder NDLMRA
NDLMRA Race Director
G-Team Racing
G-Force Engines
The G-Team E-Bay Store!

Offline Tom Fox

• Global Moderator
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2007, 04:07:54 pm »
This sure is an amazing sport...I know it has been around now for a few years, but feel the sport still has a ton of growing to do before the masses accept this as a "genuine" racing sport. WE as raceres and builders know the potential of the sport and OWE a lot to the dedicated people and companies who help grow and promote this sport. From Don to Georege to Bert and to so many others whom are out there selling mower racing parts, building engines and so on...Thank you.

I hope that someday this sport is as popular as Karting with as many places, people and companies out there growing lawn mower racing into a motorsport that everyone will respect as much as we all do!
Tom Fox       
Brookfield, CT

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2007, 04:47:40 pm »
Well it will only grow as big as the Sanctioning body will allow it to grow. If it gets too big then Gold Eagle may loose its strangle hold on the sport and all the benifits it reaps from the media. It would be nice to become a recognized as a real motorsport. Part of the many spring boards that young people take to become a big time Nascar racer!! Or Formula one racer. But hey we can dream, and hope and keep on racing our mowers across the country. Ya never know when some huge BIG dollar company will jump up and Say hey this is cool and make it real and legit in the eys of the doubters.
George Herrin #6
Retired from BP

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2007, 05:06:42 pm »
 :omg:  You mean the Formula One scouts ain't out in the stands taking notes..??

Dang...There goes my big shot at Fame and Fortune... :noplease:
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline berthyd

• Turf Warrior
  • Voted of the Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2007, 07:03:26 pm »
Actually, I just like to see some good racing, hear some good motors screaming (but not at 8000RPM, George), then drink Darin's beer. I always have Mikey to drive me home.

Bert
Gary Busey and Rick James both used to live in my shop. Redline stole them.

Offline HOTROD

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2007, 07:12:37 pm »
Hello, What is the usual HP range for the vangaurd and intek motors?

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • North Dakota Lawn Mower Racing Association
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2007, 10:38:12 pm »
I don't know about you Squidd, but the visions of this mowter builders' reunion are killing me...

We got Bert sitting on Darrin's cooler with a dozen roses in one hand and a Bud light in the other, waitin on the kid to go get the truck, George in the high elastic Superman Suit, and Don diggin the wedgie out that that darn G-String Darrin sent him is causing... it's just toooooo much! :rofl:

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2007, 10:55:59 pm »
Vanny with mild port and all bolt on goodies with rejetted carb 33 to 35 hp. I don't know as though anyone has dynoed a intek as of yet.
George Herrin #6
Retired from BP

Offline HOTROD

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2007, 10:58:51 pm »
I don't know about you Squidd, but the visions of this mowter builders' reunion are killing me...

We got Bert sitting on Darrin's cooler with a dozen roses in one hand and a Bud light in the other, waitin on the kid to go get the truck, George in the high elastic Superman Suit, and Don diggin the wedgie out that that darn G-String Darrin sent him is causing... it's just toooooo much! :rofl:

:lol:  :lol2: :rofl:

Offline Don Gienger

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2007, 01:04:26 am »
I don't wear Underwear :doh:
Founder NDLMRA
NDLMRA Race Director
G-Team Racing