Author Topic: Hydro tranny idea?  (Read 6965 times)

pastfast125

Hydro tranny idea?
« on: February 22, 2006, 08:24:40 pm »
I dont race or anything, me and my friend just like to screw around in the woods, and do wheelies and stuff, but we have some plans for building up a craftsman of ours. Is it possible to weld some internal gears in our hydro tranny to make the rear fully locked, so both wheels turn at the same speed at all times, like a locker in a truck? Thanks, by the way I'm new, so hi!

Offline fox_racin4

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Hydro tranny idea?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 09:34:31 pm »
no you cant do anything to it because its hydro ( oil inside that moves it ) and u cant chage pullys eather because it MUST be goin a sertain speed also but i have driven one and they do have tourqe
#4 super modified
SOLTRA

Offline matt25001149

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.WesternOntarioOutlaws.com
Hydro tranny idea?
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 10:54:26 pm »
hes right they have a lot of tourque you probly cant open it up to lock cause of the fact that its a hydro i dont know for sure i have never opened one up to find out and DO NOT change the pullys to ''try'' to make it go faster cause it wont  the hydrostatics can only handle a certain input rpm and if it goes over it will greatly reduce your trannys life
#87 Outlaw
Western Ontario Outlaws

pastfast125

Hydro tranny idea?
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 02:23:55 am »
hmm, cuz we have talked to a lot of other people that said it's fine changing the pulleys, and that have done it themselves. the only problem they say is it causes the fluid to go to a higher PSI, and the stock parts can onlly handle a cartain amount.

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
Hydro tranny idea?
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 07:18:14 am »
listen to what you just said. the stock parts cannot handle it, thus shortens the life of the transaxle. regardless if you change the pulley it will only go so fast due to the size of valving and bypass valving and all the other paticulars inside. But hey its yours go ahead and do so. Then come back and tells how welll it didn't work. If it worked as those you have spoke to says it will I believe after 12 years some one in would be racing one. And no one does. Theres a good reason for it. Wanna go fast steer away from a hydro rear end.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

pastfast125

Hydro tranny idea?
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 04:43:40 pm »
Quote from: "George Herrin"
listen to what you just said. the stock parts cannot handle it, thus shortens the life of the transaxle. regardless if you change the pulley it will only go so fast due to the size of valving and bypass valving and all the other paticulars inside. But hey its yours go ahead and do so. Then come back and tells how welll it didn't work. If it worked as those you have spoke to says it will I believe after 12 years some one in would be racing one. And no one does. Theres a good reason for it. Wanna go fast steer away from a hydro rear end.

OK relax..As I said, I dont race, so I dont know what anybody uses. I'm just tryin to find a way to do this without spending a lot of money, we got the thing for free. But new tranny is exspensive arent they?

pastfast125

Hydro tranny idea?
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 04:48:47 pm »
umm, just makin sure on this one, we cant change them to get more torque either right? Cuz that would be big pully rear, small front, so then the rear wouldnt be spinning all that fast, probably not any faster than stock, could Ig et away with that?

Offline matt25001149

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.WesternOntarioOutlaws.com
Hydro tranny idea?
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 08:44:42 pm »
ok being that it is a hydro it does need a certain rpm to produce the correct amount of pressure now if u reduce the rpm you will reduce the amount of pressure cauing your tranny to fail

dont worry man they have a crap load of power and tourque you dont need to be trryin to get more out of it
#87 Outlaw
Western Ontario Outlaws

pastfast125

Hydro tranny idea?
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2006, 12:35:59 am »
lol not quite enough, I have to have my friend stand on the hitch lpate, and hang off the seat in order to do a wheelie, but whatever.

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • North Dakota Lawn Mower Racing Association
Hydro tranny idea?
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2006, 03:05:51 pm »
Well I'm no expert when it comes to mower mods, but given the fact you're talking a fluid drive system here, I doubt seriously you're going to find enough torque to be doing wheel stands without considerable weight added to the rear, it's simply not going to be the same as a gear drive when you engage it.

In order to increase either speed or torque the valving and vanes in the tranny have to be altered, which in turn directly affects the rate of flow of the tranny fluid.