Author Topic: rod question  (Read 6501 times)

Offline jamie_guy3

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
rod question
« on: May 09, 2007, 03:25:01 am »
is a model 26ci ohv 14.5 hp the same connecting rod lent and measurement as a model 31ci ohv 17.5 hp thanks
Junk yard tractor lover

Offline jamie_guy3

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: rod question
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 08:25:35 pm »
nobody there  :lol:
Junk yard tractor lover

Offline rebelchild16

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 08:16:26 am »
lenth is the same but rod journal on the 17 a lot bigger. Only way it work is to use crank and all in the 14.5 28 cid
Larry n Jeannie
rogersville ala
BTMRA V.P.

There's no blade of grass safe!

Offline jamie_guy3

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 09:40:21 am »
i am going to use that,crank is it going to give me a different stroke or be the same thanks
Junk yard tractor lover

Offline rebelchild16

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 11:58:47 pm »
 17hp crank and rod has the same stroke as the 12, just stronger and will hold a few more RPM's. But still not as strong as a billit set up! With a cam and some port work makes a strong engine.
Larry n Jeannie
rogersville ala
BTMRA V.P.

Offline jamie_guy3

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 12:27:35 am »
i no billit is better but with no money you need to figure some stuff with stock part thanks
Junk yard tractor lover

Offline rebelchild16

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 06:43:06 pm »
You can also use a 15hp avs piston in the 12 block for added horse power!
Larry n Jeannie
rogersville ala
BTMRA V.P.

Offline jamie_guy3

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 09:18:39 pm »
Wat do you mean by avs i am French cant understand every thing, can you do that in a 11hp to thanks
Junk yard tractor lover

Offline mightymowe

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 11:31:41 pm »
The AVS engine is the overhead valve engine with the anti-vibration system.If you use the ARC connecting rod it is longer and the piston is shorter.I am thinking if you use the crank out of the AVS engine the rod journal is bigger so you have to use the connecting rod from the AVS engine which I assume is going to be longer than the stock 11 hp rod,then you have to use the short piston.I don't think it will work in the 11hp engine because the stroke will be too long and the piston will come out of the top of the block.It will probably work in the 12hp block,or you could use the ARC rod which fits the small journal crank in the 11hp engine and it will fit in the 11hp engine.
David Peters

Offline rebelchild16

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2007, 08:03:47 am »
The 17 crank that I'm talking about is not the AVS, just regular old 17hp B&S. ARC does not make a billit rod for this crank yet. No need for a longer rod the 17 crank and rod with a 15 AVS piston will go rite in a regular 12 block. You don't have to change anything! Also the 11 and the 12 has the same rod and piston but the crank is whats differant. I prefer the 12 AVS rod in a stock 12 if your going to run a 12 crank. It's kinda foolish to try to run a 11 when the 12 is plentiful and stronger rite out of the box! Also the 12 AVS piston is the same as the 15. Not all ARC rod come longer than stock unless you ask for one! Than you have to prepair piston to use the longer rod.
Larry n Jeannie
rogersville ala
BTMRA V.P.

Offline mightymowe

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2007, 08:26:14 am »
OK,so is the rod from the 17 hp engine longer than stock 12hp engine? Is the rod journal on the 17hp engine the same size as the 12hp engine,or do you have to use the 17hp crank with the 17hp rod? I ask because I have the ARC rod for my 12hp engine it uses the AVS piston and fits the rod journal on my crank.ARC makes another rod but it is only .050 longer than this rod,and this rod is about 3/8" to 1/2"(I haven't measured exactly) longer than the stock 12hp rod.I understood that in order to use the short AVS piston in my engine I needed this rod.
David Peters

Offline rebelchild16

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2007, 08:40:15 am »
Rod on 17 crank is the same length as the 12. But the rod jornoul is larger. You must use 17 rod and crank together. Arc makes there rods for the 12 to be used with the brass weights and the AVS piston so that it will stay balanced. If you run the 0.50 rod that ARC offers you have to have the top of the piston machined off because it will stick out of the block as it is. They offer this rod so you can get 0.50 more stroke which adds to CID.
Larry n Jeannie
rogersville ala
BTMRA V.P.

Offline mightymowe

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2007, 09:08:15 am »
You are wrong,the longer rod does nothing for the stroke.The stroke is determined by the crank and the crank alone.The reason they make a .050 longer rod is so that you can use the 31 cube piston (which has a dish on it) and you can machine the dish off the top of the piston to get more compression.
David Peters

Offline jamie_guy3

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2007, 10:57:00 am »
all be using the 31ci piston with the beefier rod from a 14.5ohv on a 12hp crank 28ci and the block is the 17.5 ohv 31ci
Junk yard tractor lover

Offline mightymowe

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2007, 07:39:01 pm »
If it all goes together and the piston comes all the way to the top of the block it should work good.You will have a 31 cubic inch engine.
David Peters