Author Topic: First "Class Legal" Build C/P Mod-X 2016  (Read 12006 times)

Offline robcones

• View Profile
First "Class Legal" Build C/P Mod-X 2016
« on: August 23, 2016, 08:47:04 am »
Ok so I'm fairly new to this forum. I've read tons of posts and gotten a lot of good information and ideas from a lot of knowledgable people on here. Thank you all for that!
    Now, I've been racing mowers for about 5 or 6 years now, but it's purely been a family thing until recently. We started off with stock mowers going about 5 mph and have gotten to the point where our racers do about 45 mph. We have no set rules except it has to be a lawn mower frame. So, long story short until this point it was anything goes.  This will be my first attempt at building a "legit" racing mower.  Please feel free to let me know if I did anything wrong. I would hate to drive 200 miles or more to a race, only to get turned away.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline cycloneracer

• Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: First "Class Legal" Build C/P Mod-X 2016
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 08:52:31 am »
Build to the USLMRA rule book.  Then you can race anywhere.  ARMA allows a few things that USLMRA doesn't. 

Read the rule book several times. 

If your unclear on a rule ask an official. 
Paul Krueger

****2017 USLMRA FXT points Champion****

#150 Worlds First "sidewinder" FX (now dismantled)

#150 FXT  Sponsored by Zach Kerber Machine. http://zkbrmachine.com/

Easy Parcheesy Racing

Offline robcones

• View Profile
Re: Re: First "Class Legal" Build C/P Mod-X 2016
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 08:55:40 am »
First, I had to get a mower. I picked up this 2006 Huskee SLT 4200 because I liked the frame design, and it has a big 31 CI one lunger (only problem was at the time I didn't know how much AVS motors cost to build).

Build to the USLMRA rule book.  Then you can race anywhere.  ARMA allows a few things that USLMRA doesn't. 

Read the rule book several times. 

If your unclear on a rule ask an official. 
Thanks cyclone, thats what I've done. I think ive read the rule book 20 times now.

Offline robcones

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 12:40:08 pm »
Next, I tore the whole thing down. Luckily it was new enough that everything came apart fairly easily.
My pile of unneeded parts...

Offline robcones

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 05:40:17 am »
Now I will start prepping the frame for welding in my suppports. Before I trimmed anything structural I welded a brace perpendicular to the frame rails to give it some more support (plus it made a nice handle when moving the frame around). The biggest things I had to trim out were back sides of where the factory bolts attached and a few stamped spots that wouldn't allow my tube steel to sit squarely in the frame.  I also trimmed the lower section of the frame where the factory front axle mounted. From what I've read this is a legal cut. I also cut off the old trailer hitch. This is a place where i forgot some pictures for a while but you can see the majority of the reinforcement in some of the chassis pictures.

I decided to use 1"x1" square tubing for my reinforcement (I read later that George Herrin used 3/4" with good results, but it was too late).  Everything at this point will be tacked in enough to keep it straight. This way I can easily go back and change something and hopefully keep from getting anything too hot and warping it. I also welded in some 1 1/2" x 1/8" angle iron on the front and rear of the frame.  This is some discrete reinforcing without sacrificing clearance for the engine pulley and rear sprocket.  I believe you can see some pictures below  where I had to notch the rear for my sprocket. After my mock up phase is done, I will tear the whole thing down again and finish my welding.  

Now it's time to mount the axles.  Reading into the USLMRA rule book I found that for C/P my frame could be 4" off the ground, so I decided I would get this thing as low as rules allowed for a better center of gravity.  
  So as much as I love fabricating and building everything on my own as cheap as possible, I decided to go crazy with this mower.  Plus I was on a 1 month time constraint for this build.  Anyways, I bought the front axle from EC. It is a nice quality piece and designed by one of the best so I figured I couldn't go wrong.  I also bought the 36" x 1 1/4" rear kit from EC.

Here you can see my rear section (which will change a couple times).

Here is my rear section after some changes.  I cut the top tubes out because i was having trouble mounting my brake caliper. Thinking back i would have done some of it differently.

After welding in the axle bearing hangers in place, I had to cut the square tubing out under it so the bearing cassettes would clear. My initial plan was to do some heavy reinforcing on top and to cut the frame and all out directly underneath the bearing hangers, but later decide to leave the frame intact for more rigidity. It may be a pain down the road removing the axle after it rusts and wears but I will deal with that when the time comes I guess.

So on to mounting the sweet front axle. Initially, as you can see in my pictures, I had this genius idea of mounting the tie-rod facing to the rear. My engine pulley had to mount at the lowest point of the crankshaft output, which in turn would have made my steering linkage sit about an inch off the ground. So needless to say, I notched my frame for the tie-rod and mounted my front axle.

This was the end of my night, so I took the chassis home.  Just for fun I sat the body on it to see what it would look like.

So, with EC's design, fixing the steering was easy.  I could just unbolt everything and flip flop it. Only problem was that as you can see in the pics below, my frame was sitting about a half inch higher in the front.  Doing the math for mounting the axles, taking into account the tire size and all that to get your frame at an exact height is a little difficult. Expecially using a "scientific" tape measure.

The front end was cut off (thankfully it was only tacked), and rewelded a half inch higher, which oddly enough was level to the top of the frame (you would think maybe it was designed like this).

Unfortunately I don't have anymore frame only profile views after I corrected the front axle, but I got it spot on and it looked much better.  

This is where i will leave the post this morning. More to follow!

Offline Kokamo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 09:12:17 am »
Lookin' good man! Good start fashao and I'll def be following this thread. Is this your first build?

I need to put my build up. As soon as I have some time I'll post it.

Keep up the good work!
"Mow" Joe Hopkins
Liberty Hill, Tx

Offline robcones

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 11:11:17 am »
Thanks! Yep, first one I've followed a rule book on that is.  I would say my other build is a death trap compared to this haha!  Post your build up man, I have gotten so many good ideas from people on here! The best forum ever...hands down.

Offline robcones

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 01:53:30 am »
Alright Im trying to stay on top of this build post but have Labor Day weekend racing coming up with the family and have been busting butt to get ready.

Next on to the rear axle, transmission, and brake setup...

As you can see, I went ahead and mounted the engine temporarily to make sure i could line up pulleys, have room for the clutch, etc. Its a 28 ci OHV non avs and I plan on rebuilding and strengthening prior to racing. I really want a 31 or 33 non avs but have never come across one.  

I bolted my peerless 700 up to the tranny plate, welded my input support in and clamped it to my frame making extra sure everthing was centered nicely and then tack welded it on.

Next I installed the sprocket hub, two piece sprocket, and chain. As you can see, I had to cut out some of the back for clearance. I later cut it a little wider and longer to give some added clearance for bigger sprockets...just on case I ever need one.

Next I worked on mounting the brakes.  I ended up taking some of the of my rear frame reinforcement out because it was making the mounting of the caliper difficult.  I took out the upper square tubing and welded in 3/16 flat steel instead. This way i can run the caliper bolts through and nut them on the back.

...you are also able to see my shifter linkage i started in these pictures.  Its 1/2 bar stock, in 1/2 id x 3/4 od bronze bushings, and some shaft collars to hold it in place. As with everything else on this mower, I made it able to be disassembled easily amd completely for less headaches in the future.

The brake mounting was pretty simple.  I found some 3/8" chrome spacers at menards that worked perfectly to space it off the frame a bit.

Finally, for this portion I will make the rear fenders fit.  I just cut out an area for the trans to fit through.  Later I will build a cover for.

I also trimmed the fenders.  Tried to stay at that 1/2" clearance in the rule book. The closer (less fender gap) to the tire, the better looking in my opinion. I think it looks sick...

Ok enough for now. More later.

Offline zach87cp

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 09:36:23 pm »
Looks good it's good to see some new builds on here it's been awhile
Zach Rupert
Rupert Racing
Super Sportsman #87
Sponsored by ace racing engines .

Offline Kokamo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2016, 12:42:07 am »
Lookin' good man! Keep it up!

I'm finally starting a post about my build.
"Mow" Joe Hopkins
Liberty Hill, Tx

Offline John Yates

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2016, 06:52:41 am »
If I could figure out how to post pics I would make a thread with my new build. It always says the pics are too big.
Race every race like it is your last!

Offline Kokamo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2016, 09:22:54 am »
If I could figure out how to post pics I would make a thread with my new build. It always says the pics are too big.

John, google search on how to resize your pictures. They need to be less than a certain size to upload here on Heymow. Click HERE for discussion and HERE for info about uploading and linking to Photobucket.

Watch THIS VIDEO to learn how to resize your pictures using Microsoft paint.

~Joe
"Mow" Joe Hopkins
Liberty Hill, Tx

Offline BIG AL 202

• Highly Mowtivated
  • LET'S GO FIND A NEW PLACE TO RACE MOWERS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2016, 10:47:31 am »
IT'S REALLY NICE TO SEE GEORGE'S BUILDS ARE STILL MAKING A GOOD DIFFERENCE!
ALWAYS VOTE FOR ED!   FONGS BROTHER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER!

Offline robcones

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2016, 03:37:00 pm »
IT'S REALLY NICE TO SEE GEORGE'S BUILDS ARE STILL MAKING A GOOD DIFFERENCE!

Yeah I pretty much went through all of George's builds while doing this one. It saved me from having to think too much hahaha. He is definitely missed...even by people who didn't know him, but he will be impacting this sport for a long time to come.