Author Topic: Newbie seeking mower selection advice  (Read 3673 times)

Offline MowerHope

• View Profile
Newbie seeking mower selection advice
« on: July 28, 2016, 02:55:57 pm »
Hi, I am a new mower enthusiast. I have a need for a simple vehicle around the lot and to do mild trail riding in the desert so I can take photos of creatures and plant life. I would like to get info on a few questions so I can make a decision and get started on my project. I would like to make a simple lawnmower riding machine (not a racer), but would like to gain some reasonable speed (15 to 25 mph) and yet have retain some slow speed control.

1) Can a regular automatic lawnmower (non-hydrostatic) be made to go faster by simply swapping a pulley or two?
2) Is a manual trans a better choice than a CVT automatic type for this modification?
3) If manual trans is better, I am considering buying a new Poulan 42 in. 17-1/2 HP Briggs & Stratton 6-Speed Gear Gas Front-Engine Riding Mower (or possible a 6 or 7 speed in another brand). Is this a good choice or is there a better brand for my described purposes?
4) If automatic is just as good of a choice as a manual trans, then is there a best brand/model to select.
5) I want to be able to drive it slowly when necessary. Once a pulley is changed to get a faster top speed, is the low speed still reasonably slow?
6) Is it a bad idea to settle for a mower that does not have the cast iron front axle?

To recap: I am looking for a compass heading toward acquiring and pulley swapping a mower for the purposes of utility and trail riding. I might even take it into town to pick up groceries. I am in a small town and there are not many used mowers in the market and the used prices are too high. I figure I can get a new one for not much more than what I see used mowers selling.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

MowerHope

Offline redline

• # I BROKE IT
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie seeking mower selection advice
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 05:14:32 pm »
For your intended purposes, an ATV will be best suited. 4wd, racks, higher ground clearance, and better top speed to go along with steering, brakes and stability.
Ed King

71.3% of the time, I'm right every time.

/>http://www.youtube.com/user/tawdew

Offline MowerHope

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 06:04:13 pm »
Thank you for your viewpoint. A friend told me the same thing about getting an ATV, but there are a few reasons I want to go with a lawnmower.
1) I desire to learn about mowers.
2) A new Poulan manual trans mower cost only $900 on sale whereas an ATV is much more expensive from what I can see. The smallest AWD Polaris is $5000 with rebates and anything used comes with potential problems from previous abuse.
3) I like sitting in the seat of a mower better than straddling an ATV (it feels more dignified, but that's just me).
4) A mower is more likely to induce me further into the project (learning to weld by creating custom racks and bumpers and other creative ideas).

I appreciate the ATV, but would really like to know the answers to my originating mower questions. Any help is greatly appreciated (including further opinion on ATVs).

Offline MOWtaku

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 12:18:42 am »
I would say the simplest thing would be to get a quad too. It doesn't have to be new. Used ones can be for less than what was quoted earlier, and finding a 2wd should bring the price down further.
In order to be somewhat helpful, if you are dead set on the mower route, what I can tell you, the place to look would be the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum.
Zach Jensen
Irene, SD

Offline BIG AL 202

• Highly Mowtivated
  • LET'S GO FIND A NEW PLACE TO RACE MOWERS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 12:41:03 pm »
THAT SITE IS INACTIVE BUT YOU CAN STILL GET SOME INFO.
ALWAYS VOTE FOR ED!   FONGS BROTHER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER!