Author Topic: Questionable "internal" engine modifications.  (Read 32652 times)

Offline Eatondirt

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Questionable "internal" engine modifications.
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2015, 03:42:57 pm »
Aftermarket heads on a Kohler were deemed illegal by the Uslmra.  Whether they were cast or billet.  I would say this would be the same ruling.  It should not be brand specific.  Kohler was descused because the castings were already being made.
Casey Eaton
Big Dog Mower Racing

Offline Cromwell C4

• Turf Warrior
  • Jesus is our savior!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2015, 04:50:07 pm »
Aftermarket heads on a Kohler were deemed illegal.  Whether they were cast or billet.  I would say this would be the same ruling.  It should not be brand specific.  Kohler was descused because the castings were already being made.

Aftermarket or custom billet heads are legal in ARMA in the super mod classes, as they should be in a top of the tier open type class.  The prepared classes are a different story and should use oem block, heads, intakes etc.

Tyler Cromwell - Cromwell Racing Engines - Specializing in Briggs Vanguard and Kohler Command V-twin engines, and Honda/Clone singles from mild to wild! Built to win, Engineered to last.

-Cromwell Racing engines and parts are home to numerous national championship titles and fastest qualifying times.

-Love God, Love Others -

Offline DeereRacer

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2015, 09:42:49 am »
What about 2 barrel carbs and intake manifold on Kohler 20 hp v-twins? They never came that way from the factory and looks nothing like the stock single barrel.
"There are three easy ways of losing money - racing is the quickest, women the most pleasant, and farming the most certain."

Well I got two of the three covered.
Martin
Thumb Mowers
Michigan

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2015, 12:57:05 pm »
Aftermarket or custom billet heads are legal in ARMA in the super mod classes, as they should be in a top of the tier open type class.  The prepared classes are a different story and should use oem block, heads, intakes etc.

And I totally disagree with that and always have...And my reasoning is not open for discussion.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline more4les

• Mow-Forum Junkie
  • FatBoyZ Racing - Mowin' Down the Competition!
    • View Profile
    • Northern  NY Lawn Mower Racing
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2015, 02:46:01 pm »
And I totally disagree with that and always have...And my reasoning is not open for discussion.
Which part George? The allowing of aftermarket heads in SM? OLe do you think allowed across the board? I'm guessing they should never be allowed is your statement.

Lester
2012 & 2014 Sportsman Champion (Builder/Owner), 2013 2nd.
2011 - 2014 Pro-Mod Champion, 2011, 2014 2nd Builder/Owner
2008-2013 Pro-Stock Champion (2009-13 Builder/Owner)
2007 Pro-Mod Champion
Founder of NNYLMR
http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/NNYLMR/
Front Yard Chassis
Impact Racing Engines
http://www.facebook.com/groups/NNYLMR/
SKYPE ME: more4les

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2015, 04:59:58 pm »
Across the board. And especially the Super Mod classes. One must use OEM Block and Heads. Its not an open class or the rules would say that. Gotta keep the classes within reach. You get to stupid and they will die. WHY because only a hand full would be able to afford it. I fought this tooth n nail back when rules were being made. Talked till I was blue in the face. Thats why my club rules are as they are.
George Herrin #6
Retired from BP

Offline BIG AL 202

• Highly Mowtivated
  • LET'S GO FIND A NEW PLACE TO RACE MOWERS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2015, 10:01:36 pm »
Across the board. And especially the Super Mod classes. One must use OEM Block and Heads. Its not an open class or the rules would say that. Gotta keep the classes within reach. You get to stupid and they will die. WHY because only a hand full would be able to afford it. I fought this tooth n nail back when rules were being made. Talked till I was blue in the face. Thats why my club rules are as they are.

I AGREE, IF YOU ALLOW ONE OFF BILLETT BLOCKS AND HEADS WHATS NEXT? YOU END UP WITH A HAND GERNADE BETWEEN 4 WHEELS. THE CLASS HAS 5 OR 6 PEOPLE IN IT ALL COMPLAINING ABOUT LAPPERS, THE SAME GUY WINNING ALL THE TIME. JUST LIKE BERT SAID "YOU WANT TO KILL LAWNMOWER RACING, ADD SUSPENSION"! I BELIEVE HIGH END, ONE OFF BILLETT ENGINES WOULD BE A WASTE ON MONEY AND KILL THE CLASS. REALISTICLY YOU COULD BUY A FLOW BENCH AND TIG WELDER [USED ] AND MODIFY HEADS AND BOLCKS AND STILL SAVE MONEY!
ALWAYS VOTE FOR ED!   FONGS BROTHER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER!

Offline Cromwell C4

• Turf Warrior
  • Jesus is our savior!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2015, 11:41:50 pm »
The rules ARMA has now are fine. In the super mod class you must start with an OEM mower block, and the heads can be aftermarket or stock castings. It would actually be cheaper for the serious builders if there were billet heads for the popular engines. Spending a ton of time on stock heads welding up chambers/ ports, installing big valves/ seats, port job, and then flow bench time adds up to a large sum of money very quickly, especially if you are paying a race shop to do it.  You could have a much better product, designed for peak performance and reliability with a billet head and the cost would be cheaper if produced in quantity. But in the end only so much power can be put to the ground anyway so its not really even worth the trouble. Spending the extra time on chassis setup and consistent driving will win more races than just a high hp engine anyway. That's been proven over and over. 

Al, I do agree that no billet or aftermarket blocks should ever be allowed. The stock blocks will only handle so much and will always limit the classes.
Tyler Cromwell - Cromwell Racing Engines - Specializing in Briggs Vanguard and Kohler Command V-twin engines, and Honda/Clone singles from mild to wild! Built to win, Engineered to last.

-Cromwell Racing engines and parts are home to numerous national championship titles and fastest qualifying times.

-Love God, Love Others -

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2015, 08:06:21 am »
I think I have proved that a stock head stock block flat tappet motor can run with the best of anything out there on any given day, and do it far more dependable with nowhere near the money. Far more so than those so called high end after market parts being used. And my ports are not welded up and moved and my chambers are not either. Go figure. In fact I can make any motor out their run like mine w/o all that crap. Oh and they live alot longer than those after market parts do too!!! Like I said I disagree with ARMA,s engine rules on the super mod classes. Did from the start argued it from the start and will never agree with it. It is detrimental to the sport!!! And I will always run them high end aftermarket head motors in the ground with my 42 cube oem block n head motor. SO let the P!$$ing contest start. I am done and said my piece.
George Herrin #6
Retired from BP

Offline fx28

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2015, 11:25:21 am »
Why would anyone be interested in what it costs to run in the supermod- fxt class ?  That is what it was for to begin with for the ones that have an unlimited budget. I have heard the quote before that you cant stop the progression of the sport and this is what it is evolving to.  Lets just put a hood on a the kart chassis and save some money and have more equality !  :lol:  Be carefull what you wish for , you might get more than you ask for

Offline redline

• # I BROKE IT
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2015, 11:44:41 am »
I want an unlimited budget.
Right now, all I have is a Bert with a bad hip.
Ed King

71.3% of the time, I'm right every time.

/>http://www.youtube.com/user/tawdew

Offline berthyd

• Turf Warrior
  • Voted of the Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2015, 12:12:13 pm »
I want an unlimited budget.
Right now, all I have is a Bert with a bad hip.

And a bad back and bad knees. That is why God created beer, the universal pain killer.

Chuck is right, be careful what you ask for. The Supersportsman/BP class is salty enough, but the twin mods are especially so. Nothing personal here, George, but what do the mod classes have in common with a lawn mower? A hood and grill? Maybe the engine? Mower racing is emulating any other pro racing class in America. The tech and the costs are rising far above what the normal racer can afford. And having said that, I don't feel the racing entertainment value has gone up with the money.

Used to be Nascar fans could identify with what was on the track. And that fan, with proper skills, could actually build what was on the track. Same with Indy. Now, as with pro racing, your typical potential mower racing participant has neither the skill, tools or budget to do what we're doing, and it's killing the sport. Participation is down, and it seems venues are getting harder to come by.

We also have way too many classes. I am honestly unable to tell what all the classes are without checking a rule book. There is no upside to this. BUILD TO AN EXISTING CLASS. There is no need to form a new national class simply because "a bunch of our guys locally race (fill in blank here)."

How about 3 classes? Governed, single cylinder prepared and twin cylinder prepared? Increase class participation, and reduce the rule book content by 50%. Keep all the billet stuff out. No homemade frames. Keep everything looking like a lawn mower.

Just my thoughts, right or wrong. I've been racing mowers since 1991, before we had a national association of any kind. I owned a dirt late model for several years before that. I have been a student of racing forever, and I am no longer a Nascar fan nor an Indy car fan. Those series have been ruined by money and technology. And I have rock-rooted opinions based on my experience in mower racing. I don't see a bright future here, either.

My back hurts now, so I am off to medicate.

Bert
Gary Busey and Rick James both used to live in my shop. Redline stole them.

Offline cycloneracer

• Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2015, 12:18:39 pm »
The heads on my FXT are basicly stock heads that were worked to match the recast heads.  It would of been much cheaper to start with the recast heads.  But I told Zach I wasn't going to be breaking the rules.  That is also why the BP engine we built used the stock valve covers and the Kohler carb.

The FX classes aren't cheap to build or run.  I remember not to long ago everyone wanted the FX classes to be unlimited.  Now we want limits.  

Bert I am in the process of working on adding 2 more classes.   Just because I think we need them........
Paul Krueger

****2017 USLMRA FXT points Champion****

#150 Worlds First "sidewinder" FX (now dismantled)

#150 FXT  Sponsored by Zach Kerber Machine. http://zkbrmachine.com/

Easy Parcheesy Racing

Offline berthyd

• Turf Warrior
  • Voted of the Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2015, 12:21:51 pm »
And just for the record, I have fabulous hips. The chicks all tell me so...

Paul, would one of the new classes be based on combines???

Bert
Gary Busey and Rick James both used to live in my shop. Redline stole them.

Offline cycloneracer

• Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2015, 12:29:16 pm »
And just for the record, I have fabulous hips. The chicks all tell me so...

Paul, would one of the new classes be based on combines???

Bert

Combines are to expensive.  But Turbo diesels.  And propane. 
Paul Krueger

****2017 USLMRA FXT points Champion****

#150 Worlds First "sidewinder" FX (now dismantled)

#150 FXT  Sponsored by Zach Kerber Machine. http://zkbrmachine.com/

Easy Parcheesy Racing

anything