Author Topic: Vanguard 101 for the confused noobie  (Read 2392 times)

Offline WeedWhacker

• View Profile
Vanguard 101 for the confused noobie
« on: May 10, 2015, 07:18:20 pm »
Did some searchs on here and read alot of posts but still a little confused.  :confused:

Question 1- if i take a vanny 35 and add 38 heads i gain bigger valves and ports but lose some compression. Correct?

Question 2- if i bore the 35 out to use an intek 40 piston ( standard 40 bore) and ARC rod and zero deck the block i will be back to an "acceptable" compression ratio with the 38 heads?

Question 3- if i do all this then basically i have a "stock" 38 with a better rod?
All i remember was dirt sky dirt sky dirt sky....ambulance :(                                                   Rob

Offline Jim Knutson

• Mow-Forum Junkie
  • i didnt break it......i modified it!
    • View Profile
Re: Vanguard 101 for the confused noobie
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 08:48:18 pm »
1: yes bigger valve, no on compression loss....thd 38 heads have a smaller chamber cc than the 35 heads.
2: no need of worrying about low compression ratio with this combo...answer 1 tells why.
3: no....your correct, you will have 38 cid engine... but will have more control over the piston to cylinder clearance when boring the 35 block to accept the intek piston, which is also a flat top piston, giving you a much better compresion ratio vs the stock 38 pistons being cut down...which still leaves a slight dish in it after machining.
If you quit when you're behind, you will never win.

Offline WeedWhacker

• View Profile
Re: Vanguard 101 for the confused noobie
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 09:07:20 pm »
Ohhhh ok!! I was under the ASSUMPTION that the 38 head had a bigger combustion chamber. Also i have not tore down the vanguard yet and had ASSUMED it had flat tops like the Inteks i had dealt with. Thank you very much. Oh one more thing is the ARC rod i need to use with the intek piston factory 35 length or slightly longer?
All i remember was dirt sky dirt sky dirt sky....ambulance :(                                                   Rob

anything