Author Topic: Tecumseh vs walbro carb ?  (Read 2667 times)

Offline chavez

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Tecumseh vs walbro carb ?
« on: April 25, 2015, 10:48:16 pm »
In stock form, minus the choke shaft and butterfly, does the walbro or the plastic bowl Tec carb have more potential?  I'm needing a new carb and our rules aren't mfg specific.  Will be going on a 31" Briggs for now then on a 490ov Tec.
Travis Callaway

Offline Jim Knutson

• Mow-Forum Junkie
  • i didnt break it......i modified it!
    • View Profile
Re: Tecumseh vs walbro carb ?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 11:51:22 pm »
The series 7 tecumseh carb will out perform the walbro.
If you quit when you're behind, you will never win.

Offline chavez

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 03:49:27 pm »
I realize there is a lot to be said about getting a carb from someone like ec, but would I be wasting money getting one (tec series 7) off ebay and making mods myself?
Travis Callaway

Offline LHoernke

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 07:54:25 pm »
Get ahold of RedLine or berthyd on here, they know the most on tec plastic bowl carbs
Lee Hoernke #84

Offline chavez

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 09:38:08 pm »
So in lieu of getting a new Tec 7 carb thought I'd do a little tuning on my walbro. Problem I'm having is I can get the low and mid mixture right, but then about 4800rpm it swings rich. Do I need to enlarge the main air bleed, or enlarge the lower emulsion holes/ add more holes?  Minding this is on the walbro....
Travis Callaway

Offline chavez

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 07:16:37 pm »
Think I found a valuable lesson yesterday trying to get rid of a rich problem on the top end.  Some ideas about carb mods may work for them, but nine emulsion holes are at least one too many inn a walbro. Went from three and half turns out with main jet to 1 1/4 ish and pulls great to 5500.  That is once I got past the huge dead spot off idle.  Well, a little lead and time took care of a way too big air bleed, too many holes, and a little more time, a dremel,  drill set and jb weld takes care of the dead spot.   Yea  have the walbro running great now, but have a 7 series Tec, bowl kit (w/blue emulsion)  and another emulsion tube plus brown jet ordered.  From what I've researched, it makes sense why the Tec carb is better.  KISS!
Travis Callaway

anything