Author Topic: briggs 31 ohv head  (Read 15257 times)

Offline Rocket Ron

• Rocket Rons Racing Parts
  • Turf Warrior
  • Ronnie McClain
    • View Profile
Re: briggs 31 ohv head
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2015, 09:45:28 am »
I've sat here and watched and read and watched this tread go completely haywire! about compression and timing. and it went just as I thought it would. this engine was notoris?? for rod isuies from the time it was built. I even was bashed for watching instead of comenting   I think the whole question was not read corectly I think the question was about a STOCK ROD AND PISTON To all that gave Mr. Wide body there personal ansers. Pardon my spelling I'tts not very good but my ears and eyes are . So go back to post #1 and rethink your anserw about the amount of compression and timing a STOCK ROD & PISTON Can handle????  Rocket Ron........
Ronnie McClain
I am 55
843-287-2042

Offline redline

• # I BROKE IT
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2015, 10:57:04 am »
Actually, the question was how much to shave off the head.
It was given that he was using a stock rod and piston, but that is a moot point, when it was simply stated as fact, and not question.
Ed King

71.3% of the time, I'm right every time.

/>http://www.youtube.com/user/tawdew

Offline Rocket Ron

• Rocket Rons Racing Parts
  • Turf Warrior
  • Ronnie McClain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2015, 12:15:14 pm »
Ed, You mean to tell me to cutt .125 off of head & putt 30* timing & billitt crank with STOCK ROD & PISTON come on gett real is that the kind of info you guys give novice or intro eng. builders. I been doing this 40 plus years your ansers don't add up  SORRY!!!    Rocket Ron..
Ronnie McClain
I am 55
843-287-2042

Offline BIG AL 202

• Highly Mowtivated
  • LET'S GO FIND A NEW PLACE TO RACE MOWERS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2015, 02:28:08 pm »
IF HE IS A NOVICE HE SHOULD LEAVE IT BONE STOCK, WITH THE GOVERNOR LEFT WORKING, AND NOT MODIFY IT TILL HE GETS EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE TO DO IT CORRECTLY.            SO Murray_Wide_Body, IN OTHER WORDS IF YOU MODIFY ONE OF THESE ENGINES YOU WILL NEED TO USE A BILLET ROD AND FLYWHEEL. THE STOCK ROD WON'T TAKE 6,000 rpm's FOR VERY LONG AT ALL.
ALWAYS VOTE FOR ED!   FONGS BROTHER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER!

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2015, 07:21:23 pm »
Personally before the billet stuff was ever available and we run stock rods (494504S) and pistons I run .125 off the head with a #3 0r #4 key and .500 lift at the valve and never broke a crank until we started cutting them to get them lighter and turned them 6 to 7200. SO yeas it can be done and was done for years. Cranks didnt really start breaking until the billet wheels started being used thats when they seemed to start being a real problem. But what do I know. I only been doing this for 13ish years. Oh and that was also done with stock rocker arms too!!! And vlaves.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline redline

• # I BROKE IT
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2015, 07:57:24 pm »
If one were to read through what I posted in here, nowhere will you find that I recommend that .125" be cut off the head.
 In fact, I stated a simple observation that an engine with minimal material removed from the head ran just as strong as one with .125" removed.

Ed King

71.3% of the time, I'm right every time.

/>http://www.youtube.com/user/tawdew

Offline Murray_wide_body

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2015, 09:57:26 pm »
Guys relax lol just Looking for advice to build a Some what reliable motor I know briggs are not all that reliable but it's What I had laying around and a buddy of mine had a billet cam for It so I went with the Briggs. I appreciate all the advice this Motor is being built for c/p class so if I go governed I'd think I'd get smoked by The guys with ungoverned engines I would think but What do I know right only a rookie looking for pointers 
Jared Johnson

Offline Eric (Moose) Mossow

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2015, 11:48:15 pm »
A well built briggs is just as reliable as any.  My intek twin ran all this year, re ringed it half way thru the season. yes my heads are shaved a lot yes I have cut pistons. And yes it gets turned to the moon. I am not easy on the thing  :D
103 pro stock
103 pro/super mod
21 mod x... oppy power....
driver builder and owner of Mossow Mowersports
2015 nnylmr championship pro mod 3rd place