Author Topic: torque  (Read 9084 times)

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Re: torque
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2007, 07:26:09 am »
Just saw this thread, and wondered why no one mentioned....there is NO ft/lb torque wrench out there that will give you an accurate lock on "9.6 ft/lbs"

So the whole converson thing is meaningless...

Get the right tool for the job....in/lb torque wrench or don't bother , just use a cresent wrench or vice grips and give 'er a good "snug".... :roll:
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline MTDrider1160

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • PALMRA
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2007, 10:17:29 am »
I can accuratly lock in 10ft/lbs on mine, but i dont trust it any less than that.

eddiehenjr

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2007, 07:11:40 pm »
Just saw this thread, and wondered why no one mentioned....there is NO ft/lb torque wrench out there that will give you an accurate lock on "9.6 ft/lbs"

So the whole converson thing is meaningless...

Get the right tool for the job....in/lb torque wrench or don't bother , just use a cresent wrench or vice grips and give 'er a good "snug".... :roll:

Well you figure 9.6 is a bit more than 9.5, so if you can find 9.5, turn it up a touch. 

You have no idea how many times I had to use a crescent wrench to get out a metric bolt or nut because I didn't have a wrench in my set big enough :roll:

I can accuratly lock in 10ft/lbs on mine, but i dont trust it any less than that.

If you have a good torque wrench, you can take it in to most auto parts stores and have it calibrated.  I have a snap-on torque wrench, that clicks in the middle when you reach the right torque.  My friend's dad gave it to me and I've used it ever since.  But when I snapped a head bolt off an 18hp Briggs opposed, when set at the right torque, I figured somethin' aint right.  Took it in, and problem solved.  They said it was off about 10ft/lbs.

I hate guestimating those type of things without a torque wrench.  You wonder if it's not tight enough, or too tight, or when it's gonna unexpectedly snap on you.

Offline michael a. formentini

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2007, 09:16:26 pm »
Here is something else to think about. Your not suppose to use the lower 20% of a torque wrench. It will be an invalid torque. Also to keep your torque wrench in proper calibration longer you should return it to it's lowset setting when not in use.

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2007, 09:18:26 pm »
Kinda like not trusting the "low" numbers on an air guage... Get one in the proper range....
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

eddiehenjr

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2007, 07:02:26 pm »
Here is something else to think about. Your not suppose to use the lower 20% of a torque wrench. It will be an invalid torque. Also to keep your torque wrench in proper calibration longer you should return it to it's lowset setting when not in use.

I have a ft/lbs, my dad has both ft/lbs and in/lbs.  I torqued a head with my ft/lbs, then double checked with his in/lbs and it was dead on.  Maybe it depends on the torque wrench.  Mine is 'hinged' and clicks in the middle.  Both my dad's have gauges on them. 

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • North Dakota Lawn Mower Racing Association
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2007, 09:29:32 pm »
Anyone here ever tried the electronic variety??

Electronic Torque Wrenches

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2007, 10:51:31 pm »
Those electronic torque wrenches look real nice. Sears must like them to for that price.

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2007, 10:58:53 pm »
Actually those are pretty reasonable compared to some of the other models they offer! :omg:

See SK Torque Wrenches bottom of the page!!

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2007, 11:23:57 pm »
Yeah, and those are 3/4" drive wrenches at 600 ft/lbs. I don't know of any mower that requires that much torque. And if there is I don't want to mess with it. LOL

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2007, 11:45:59 pm »
Yeah, but the 1/2 and 3/8 drives on the next page are still $300 +/- $30 to $40!

And, they're not digital!!

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2007, 11:46:59 am »
My snap on not only beeps at the right torque it vibrates. Eats batteries left and rioght but works good does foot lbs and inches and something else too never use that, any one knows Joe Peirce out of Florida do not loan him your vibrating torque wrench he will never come out of the trailer the rest of the day. LOL
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2007, 12:46:56 pm »
Last one is probably them English nanometrics or whatever that was we found on that one conversion site. Noticed a few of these SKs that Sears lists also indicated nm settings.

eddiehenjr

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2007, 01:25:49 pm »
Wow - I'll stick to the mechanical torque wrenches thank yas!  Technology scares me :lol: