Author Topic: 35" help please  (Read 3156 times)

Offline rookie14

• View Profile
35" help please
« on: December 06, 2014, 07:30:06 pm »
Recently bought a 18hp vanguard v twin. Ive been through this motor top to bottom trying to figure it out. My issue is a bad bog off idle and wants to die alot, runs fine after half rpm. I can get it rev much better if I set the choke about half closed. So I've replaced carb/fuel pump tried diff size jets with no change at all. New spark plugs, set valve lash at diff adjustments. Checked cam timing. Set float at different levels.  Checked valves and seats.Compression seems amazing. Can't find anything apparent to me and tired of wasting hours.

Offline rookie14

• View Profile
Re: 35" help please
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 09:50:21 pm »
Ok so I hadn't touched the small primary jet on the side. Just pulled it out and it seems to run fine now. Make sense?

Offline BlueShamu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 08:36:29 am »
I've had a similar issue with a 36 HP Vanny. Not sure if the 18 has a similar set up or not. I'd start here first.

I ported/polished my intakes and did a few things to increase the air flow to the cylinders. This gave me a really bad lag/bog from idle to WOT. I knew I was running lean on fuel because, like you, I could eliminate the lag by closing the choke plates a little. Once at WOT, ran fine.

I did increase my main jets to compensate for top end. But, the pilot jets are the ones that need to be opened up a little to remedy the problem if you did manifold work...and/or the air/fuel adjustment screws need to be opened to get rid of the bog.

The 36 has air/fuel adjustment screws for each barrel. But, thanks to the EPA, they have these little plastic limit stops that only allow you about a 1/3 turn adjustment. The screws are scored so that if you try to pop the plastic cover off or cut them off, the head of the screw breaks. I ended up using a heat gun to melt the plastic off. I took the ones I broke and popped the sheared shaft out, trimmed the stops off with a Dremmel, then pushed them over the new screws.

You will need to open those AF screws to get rid of your bog. A little goes a long way!

Good luck!

Offline BlueShamu

• View Profile
35" help please
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 08:57:23 am »
Ok so I hadn't touched the small primary jet on the side. Just pulled it out and it seems to run fine now. Make sense?

Inside the bowl of the 36 HP 2 barrel, there are 2 main jets and 2 pilot jets. The pilots are same size from factory. Idle adjustment is made with the AF screws on the outside of the carb.

The main jets are different size to compensate for one runner being longer than the other.

Offline rookie14

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 12:35:41 am »
Anywhere I can get an assortment of jets for this 35" carb to fine tune it.

Offline rotten ron

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 05:26:47 pm »
Drill the jets to the size you want, fill the jets with solder if you have drilled them too big and with a small number drill set you can drill them any size you want

Offline BlueShamu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 07:06:25 pm »
Anywhere I can get an assortment of jets for this 35" carb to fine tune it.

Look up the IPL for your engine. They will have part numbers for various size pilots and mains. You can find them on the www box. They aren't cheap. Anywhere from $16-$28 each for the different ones I'm looking at. Jacks small engines has them. My pilots were stock 56's. There is a 60 available. If memory serves me right, my mains were originally 138 & 142....currently running 142/144. There is a 158 available.