Author Topic: Vanguard 35ci to 38ci Conversion  (Read 2085 times)

Offline Rod Knock

• View Profile
Vanguard 35ci to 38ci Conversion
« on: December 01, 2014, 03:49:25 pm »
Hi all.  I'd like to intro by saying I have reviewed all 138 pages of this category within the last 3 days, and read all articles pertaining to what I want to accomplish, so first off, thanks for taking the time to post your knowledge and experiences. 

I have acquired a Vanguard 18hp (35 cubic inch) engine, and am curious as to what is necessary to convert it to a 38 cubic inch engine regarding cylinder bore.  Can this existing engine and sleeves simply be bored out further to fit the 38 cube's pistons?  If not, can it be done by re-sleeving with sleeves which would fit the 38 cube engine? 

From what I have read, there is some talk about using 40 cube Intek pistons, but I am not sure of the advantage of doing so, and whether that fits the 35 cube or 38 cube Vanguard (and using a stock length rod?).

Thanks in advance.  Also seeking performance items for this engine in the parts wanted section, since starting with nothing, and looking to buy most all popular bolt on's.   

Offline Rocket Ron

• Rocket Rons Racing Parts
  • Turf Warrior
  • Ronnie McClain
    • View Profile
Re: Vanguard 35ci to 38ci Conversion
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 06:39:56 pm »
I don't think any one makes a kit ? But you are correct 35 will bore 38 And yes the 40 Intek are the most common swap. Used with ARC rods.
Ronnie McClain
I am 55
843-287-2042

anything