Author Topic: 38 vanny head gasket  (Read 7037 times)

Offline dgraham225

• View Profile
38 vanny head gasket
« on: November 30, 2014, 03:13:23 pm »
Have a couple questions, not a mower build but a mud motor build lol. First, what's the compressed thickness of the stock briggs mls gasket for the 38ci motor? I was told around 0.030 but want to confirm this. Secondly, where can I find a copper (or?) 0.040" thick head gasket? Long story short, had to deck block 0.023 to get it back straight, had a nice groove blown between the cylinder wall and head bolt hole. Stock piston is now flush with the deck. Heads have been shaved (bps iron mountain heads). I thought I'd have enough clearance with the stock mls gasket but evidently not, piston end up slapping exhaust valve within the first hour of run time. Don't have the time or money to get too extensive as its middle of duck season. Any suggestions? I figure a thicker head gasket should get me by if I can find one
Danny Graham

Offline Rocket Ron

• Rocket Rons Racing Parts
  • Turf Warrior
  • Ronnie McClain
    • View Profile
Re: 38 vanny head gasket
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 05:12:56 pm »
I keep .043 copper in stock.    Ron.
Ronnie McClain
I am 55
843-287-2042

Offline dgraham225

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 10:03:53 pm »
Good deal man, I'll give you a call tomorrow after I pull the head and check things out
Danny Graham

Offline dgraham225

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 08:04:25 pm »
Ever seen a seat fall out? Valve didn't get bent, looks fine. Keep in mind these are bps iron mountain heads, I'm told oversize valves? 1.086" exhaust valve.
Danny Graham

Offline BIG AL 202

• Highly Mowtivated
  • LET'S GO FIND A NEW PLACE TO RACE MOWERS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 08:23:00 pm »
YES! YOU GOT LUCKY! MOST OF THE TIME THE PISTON DOESN'T LOOK TO GOOD WHEN THAT HAPPENS!
ALWAYS VOTE FOR ED!   FONGS BROTHER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER!

Offline Rocket Ron

• Rocket Rons Racing Parts
  • Turf Warrior
  • Ronnie McClain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 09:02:44 pm »
Woniinder If iT is still under wartt? I beleave I'd give them a call Cause yu'll be need'n a nother one of them.
Ronnie McClain
I am 55
843-287-2042

Offline dgraham225

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 09:42:10 pm »

Naa no warranty lol, it's been a couple years and a lot of hours. Seat isn't hurt at all either as far as I can tell, went back in place without a terrible amount of effort
Everything looks concentric as far as I can TELL anyway thus far. What are your thoughts on that? Any way to help keep the seat from coming out again?

Piston is fine, small scar but not terrible. Block is bad though, so looks like I'll need another one afterall.
Danny Graham

Offline BlueShamu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 11:26:23 pm »
What the heck!?!?😳

I've seen a lot of mixed reviews on the IM's...that's for sure. Some guys have them on their MM's and swear by them. Others will cuss them up one side and down the other!

I've read that the trick to getting IM heads to hold together is to use all BPS components...don't mix and match Manley Valves, PVT cam, IM heads type thing. If you running IM heads, get the rest of their performance parts to go with it....just what I have seen written out there on one of the mudmotor forums....Bonjour! 😳

Offline dgraham225

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 06:58:24 am »
No telling man, from what I've been reading, looks like this is more common for a briggs than I would've thought. Hopefully i can get by with the same seat/valve and the head doesn't have to be reworked and all that.
Danny Graham

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 08:38:28 am »
If it was done right from the start it would have lasted. it didn't have enough press fit or it would not have come out. It prolly wont stay now you can try peening it back in but more than likely it will need to have an oversized seat (OD) put in it
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline dgraham225

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 09:41:47 am »
I was afraid of that.  I hate to take a chance destroying it all once I get another block and swap everything over.  Sounds like I got REALLY lucky this time.
Danny Graham

Offline BIG AL 202

• Highly Mowtivated
  • LET'S GO FIND A NEW PLACE TO RACE MOWERS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 09:52:14 am »
YES YOU DID! TIME TO PUT IN OVERSIZE SEATS. YOU MY CONSIDER REPLACING ALL THE SEATS. DIFFIDENTLY CONSIDER IT, CHEAPER THEN A ENGINE! 
ALWAYS VOTE FOR ED!   FONGS BROTHER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER!

Offline Cromwell C4

• Turf Warrior
  • Jesus is our savior!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 09:53:54 am »
If it was a grass cutter you could just knock it back in and use a punch in a few places and it would probably last the life of the engine. But in a performance or racing motor, i wouldn't even try it. Get a new oversized seat put in, blend it back into the port and do a nice valve job. It can be done for less than $100.
Tyler Cromwell - Cromwell Racing Engines - Specializing in Briggs Vanguard and Kohler Command V-twin engines, and Honda/Clone singles from mild to wild! Built to win, Engineered to last.

-Cromwell Racing engines and parts are home to numerous national championship titles and fastest qualifying times.

-Love God, Love Others -

Offline dgraham225

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 10:20:02 am »
yea we dont turn the RPM's you guys do, mud motors typically top out at 46-4700.  but they live a hard life, lots of WOT running for longer periods of time.  I figure i better get this taken care of lol, who's my best bet to send it to?  Few guys around my area mess with these heads but its duck season, doubt I could get it done in the time frame i need.  I appreciate yalls help!
Danny Graham

Offline redline

• # I BROKE IT
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2014, 06:33:33 pm »
Out of curiosity, are those a recast head, or just a worked over Briggs casting?
Ed King

71.3% of the time, I'm right every time.

/>http://www.youtube.com/user/tawdew