Author Topic: Intake Manifold Modification Thoughts  (Read 5812 times)

Offline BlueShamu

• View Profile
Intake Manifold Modification Thoughts
« on: November 21, 2014, 12:09:49 pm »
Hey folks...newbie to HeyMow and think I have stumbled across a gold mine of info!

I'm not in the same application as what the majority of you guys are....but I have to believe there is some crossover information that I can learn from this site. I run a 36 HP Vanguard on a Prodrive brand mud motor. I have been doing some  very basic "tweaks" to improve performance.

So, here's my first post and questions:

What is there to gain by opening up and clearing out the metal between each intake runner when using a stock carb? You know, where you are knife edging and rounding the corners at the carb spacer?

What could be potential pitfalls of getting rid of that metal and opening it up to where both barrels of the STOCK carb are feeding both runners at the same time instead of individually as designed?

Offline royalblu68f100

• Mow-Forum Junkie
  • Cartwheels are a helluva ride if you can hold on!!
    • View Profile
Re: Intake Manifold Modification Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 12:15:33 pm »
It will have more power at higher rpms but will not work as good at lower rpms. At least this is my experience, they do something similar on banderleros [sp].
You never win a race by focusing on one aspect of the race!  Motor isn't everything, but you better have a good one!  Chassis too!  But remember, a driver can take a slow machine and make it faster!  I may not have/be the best of any of these but I'm trying!
Chris Cox- CP/Mod X, AP
2016 ALL AMERICAN CP/Mod X Champion
2015 USLMRA AP Champion
2014 USLMRA AP Runner Up
2013 USLMRA AP Champion
2012 SRUSAAO ModX/CP Champion
2012 USLMRA CP Champion
2012 US Open AP Champion
2011 SRUSAAO MOD-X/CP Champion
2011 USLMRA FX Points Runner up
2011 GALMRA CP Points Champion

Offline BlueShamu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 02:42:17 pm »
I have tried it out...but, haven't run it under a load. It purrs at idle. Runs great at WOT. I have a really bad lag/stall from idle to WOT....if I try to gun it. If I bring it up slowly, I can get 1/4 throttle or so and then gun it with pretty much no issues.

What is "limiting" it at the lower RPM's?

I have put bigger mains (from a horizontal shaft) in the carb. Pilots are the same between vert and horiz engines. I'm thinking this is what I probably need to get bigger to get rid of the lag/stall? I've also adjusted the air/fuel mixture screws as much as the limiters allow...even broke the tabs off to get a little more; but, no luck. Then, broke the stems off completely trying to remove the plastic stops! Duh!

Should I focus on trying to drill the pilots a little bigger or try to adjust the A/F mixture screws more to get the better throttle response? Or, is this thinking outside the box not going to work?

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 03:37:54 pm »
GOOD LUCK WITH THE STUMBLE WITH THOSE MODS. tHOSE MODS ARE MADE FOR ENGINES WHICH RARLEY CRACK THE THROTTLE. MEANING THEY STAY IN THE HIGHER RPM RANGE RUNNING BASICALLY FLAT OUT. NO AMOUNT OF REJETTING WILL STOP THE LOW STUMBLE. BEEN THERE DONE THAT.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline BlueShamu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 04:08:33 pm »
Gotcha. Thanks for that advice. And yes, we do tend to keep these things on their rev limiters...at least the ones that have them! May not sound like much to you guys turning double this, but, I just went from 4350 coils to 4700. LOL I haven't loaded it up, yet with this manifold/jet adjustment...but, prior, I ran pretty much in the 4200'ish range. New coils were added in prep for a cam.

Offline BlueShamu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 04:15:31 pm »
I guess I should add that heads are decked 0.050", de-shrouded and ported. Exhaust is ported/polished. Manley SS valves. This gave me some modest initial gains.

Do you think it would be a better option to port the runners and leave them dedicated to each barrel?

Offline cycloneracer

• Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 04:32:07 pm »
I've had 2 different twins this was done too.   Both had the bog.  Ran great on the top end but couldn't get rid of the bog.   Need some sort of accelerator pump. 
Paul Krueger

****2017 USLMRA FXT points Champion****

#150 Worlds First "sidewinder" FX (now dismantled)

#150 FXT  Sponsored by Zach Kerber Machine. http://zkbrmachine.com/

Easy Parcheesy Racing

Offline BlueShamu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 04:43:28 pm »
There are a lot of guys in the mud motor world doing this mod with the Mikuni 42's and 45's with good results. They are just using a clamp on adapter to convert from the large single bore carb to the intake manifold.

Offline Cromwell C4

• Turf Warrior
  • Jesus is our savior!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2014, 04:59:59 pm »
I've done this on several v-twin racing engines with great success. It just takes some patience to get the jetting correct. And I have a new style two barrel carb that actually has a built in accelerator pump  8)
Tyler Cromwell - Cromwell Racing Engines - Specializing in Briggs Vanguard and Kohler Command V-twin engines, and Honda/Clone singles from mild to wild! Built to win, Engineered to last.

-Cromwell Racing engines and parts are home to numerous national championship titles and fastest qualifying times.

-Love God, Love Others -

Offline Rocket Ron

• Rocket Rons Racing Parts
  • Turf Warrior
  • Ronnie McClain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 06:29:26 pm »
The mod's your'e doing work's well  with mukuni  flat slide with acc. pump 45mm.for the size  eng. your'e dealing with. On smaller eng. like mower race eng. flow bench say's yes. But on the track  you  will have less bottom end. Won't show any benafit until 7-8k Not much Tq. on  Dyno.. Without tq. your takeoff will suffer. And so will corner exit speed .Layman's term's no exit speed. No straight away speed Like George said been there done that.But Iv'e never raced mud puppie's Before either?    Ron.
Ronnie McClain
I am 55
843-287-2042

Offline BlueShamu

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 06:35:22 pm »
In reality, I probably desire more low end torque and power for load carrying and to turn the prop in thick mud/vegetation....and hope for an added bonus of gaining a mph or two on the top end.

Offline BlueShamu

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2014, 06:36:35 pm »
I really do appreciate all the input you guys are offering. Sure glad I stumbled across y'all!

anything