Author Topic: My mower project begins but i need a little help  (Read 7723 times)

Offline Mowterhead

• View Profile
My mower project begins but i need a little help
« on: August 20, 2014, 03:33:49 pm »
Hey I'm a newbie to the world of mower modifications. I have a project I want to build but I'm really not sure where to start. I have a poulan riding mower that was given to me it has a Briggs & Stratton 15.5 horse motor with over head valves and cast iron sleeve on it I have already dropped the deck off. I'm not wanting to build a regular regulation racing mower I'm goin more for a tinker toy I know I want it to go fast have a low stance and be as safe as it can be. My ideas are either a drift type or a rat rod kind of theme I'll draw it out and post pics of what I have and have in mind. So I guess my question is where to go next and or is it possible to do with what I have. Any and all help and advice is appreciated.

Offline shadetreemechanic

• View Profile
Re: My mower project begins but i need a little help
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 08:42:18 pm »
Play mowers aren't really welcome here, but if it's built safe and by the rules it shouldn't be a problem, I think the rat rod idea is cool as. Am building a rat rod mower also,  anyways have fun and be safe
Jesse Cobb

Offline Mowterhead

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 10:22:01 pm »
Why wouldn't play mowers be welcome here when there's a thread dedicated to other builds and if seen jukeboxes posted in it. So I would think a racing mower that's not meant for actual racing would be more welcome than a jukebox or a car which I also seen posted on here.

Offline Huffy044

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 11:24:55 am »
Safety is the root of all we do, making something go  15 times faster than designed requires some careful engineering and some expense.
VLMRA Singles Points Champion 2006
VLMRA Mini Champion 2007
VLMRA Sportsman Champion 2007
VLMRA Pro-X Champion 2008, 2009
ARMA Sportsman of the Year 2008
ARMA South East Region Mini 2009, 2010, 2011,2012
ARMA National Champion Mini 2009, 2010, 2011,2012, 2013
Maxton NC Model A Record Holder 118.54
VGMR 1932 Model A roadster world record 165.8

Offline Mowterhead

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 07:54:53 pm »
That is common sense. I wasn't just gonna mess with the governor and get the motor screaming just to have my face and familyjewels riddled with stock flywheel shrapnel. I'm not a backyard basher. I want to make me a tinker toy yes but I want it to be safe as well. My issue right now is trying to find performance parts for the motor I have. So has anyone built a Briggs and Stratton 15.5 ohv
Motor Model # 282H07
Type# 0231E1
Code# 050131ZE

Offline crazycraftsman

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • owen
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 12:32:58 am »
Yes. Try Ec distributing for your performance parts. You can look at there parts online on there web site. They have been good to me the last 3 years with good service .
Owen
owen
Lawnmower Racing in B.C   Canada
WMWS points cup winner BP 2016
Wmws points cup winner CP 2017
Wmws points cup winner CP 2018

Offline Mowterhead

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 05:34:59 am »
Mower motors a a new world to me I have looked on EC but I can't find anything that says it's compatible with model 282H07 all the parts iv seen say compatible with and then usually 2 numbers so would my motor be considered a model 28 or something to that nature I'm trying to understand how to tell if it's compatible with my motor. Cause it's nothing like finding parts for my vehicles!!

Offline stvn_VA

• Gold Star
  • Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 05:55:50 am »
The first two digits of your model number is your size.   Model number 28***** is a 28 CID model number 31***** would be a 31 CID.   One thing to keep in mind HP don't mean jack.  Some will say 14,5, 15 or 15.5 just whatever sticker they wanted to put on it. Next would be whether is a Non-AVS OR AVS.  do a search their are plenty of help tell you the difference between the two. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Steven
Southern Thunder Racing
Abingdon, VA

There are three kinds of men;
 1.) The ones that learn by reading
 2.) The few who learn by observation
 3.) The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Offline Mowterhead

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 01:01:50 pm »
Thanks crazycraftsman and stvn that helps a lot. Also I know that a majority of racing mowers are older mowers where I'm going with this is in a couple of builds I've read they strengthened the stock frame BUUUT the older ones had a more solid gram made from square tubing. The newer ones are a stamped steel frame my question is can the newer stamped frames be supported as well or is it best to start from scratch on that. I am trying to save a penny where I can BUT there is no price to high on being safe I'd much rather hurt my wallet than my skull or any other part of my body

Setting
A
First rate
Example
Through
Your actions

Offline stvn_VA

• Gold Star
  • Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 02:07:16 pm »
All the mowers I race with are I believe you are calling the "newer ones" with stamped frames.  That tube you are seeing has been added to the frame.  You will hear this preached everyday here but go to your local races and get the rules from them before you build.  Some clubs require the frame be of lawnmower origin and do not allow anyone to "start from scratch".  Here is a good thread to read if you haven't already.  http://www.heymow.com/index.php?topic=1613.0  Don with G-team also has a DVD showing chassis builds that helped me out when I first started and he uses MTD frames. 
Steven
Southern Thunder Racing
Abingdon, VA

There are three kinds of men;
 1.) The ones that learn by reading
 2.) The few who learn by observation
 3.) The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Offline Mowterhead

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 02:51:18 pm »
Yea there's not any races within miles and miles of where I live. I'm just wanting to build a "mowkart" pretty much but I'm pretty sure the older like 80s model mowers or older had a tube frame. ... I believe anyways. I want it to be safe and fast not just fast I know if seen some on YouTube do 60+ mph though that would be awesome I'd be just as happy with 30 to 40 mph but that will just have to be played by ear. As far as the frame goes I'm glad I can use the frame I have. Well I'm at work and if I get the chance on my off days I'm gonna draw out some schemes and take some pics and post them.

Offline Huffy044

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 03:37:10 pm »
The OHV Briggs can be made to perform very well, however they do have issues:
****Use the crankshaft out of a 12 hp flattie and the oil pan on the 28 through the 31’s, this allows the ARC balance weights to be used. Modification is required to do this to the AVS (see below)****

1.They will not tolerate (break cranks)any timing over 30 deg.-Use a degree wheel to check-do not go by the marks on the flywheel(assuming you get a ARC aluminum wheel)
2. Some 28 and 31 have the coil mounted off to the side-not lined up with the cylinder, this advances the timing-again use the degree wheel.
3. They will break the stock rockers-use EC's aluminum ($200? Or mine for $40, mine are modified stock ones guaranteed for one year)-
4. They WILL pull the rocker studs out of the head-put a plate under the head, use longer studs or use my Stud Bridge ($50.0O also adds rigidity to head to prevent head gasket from blowing)
5.Use a copper head gasket (EC or make your own)
6.AVS engines (identify by oil tube going into block, non AVS goes into oil pan) both 28 and 31 have some that are AVS
7.The AVS WILL break the timing gear, no aftermarket available at this time, (good chance it will also break the oil pan $80 and the cam $150, highly suggest you not build a AVS with a AVS crank in it).
8.You can take a 31 AVS and put a 28 CI flathead oil pan an crankshaft in it IF you weld the top and bottom and the oil fill hole in the block. This will allow you to run the small journal crank, brass syncro eliminators, ARC rod and piston. Block must be machined back down to get the oil pan to seal. I ran two of these engines this year in a Mod and a Pro-had no problems with them, won regional in the mod, was in 2nd at the Nats until a guy jumped the restart and put me on the ground. The deal with building the 31 is you get a factory bore and don’t have to pay $150 to bore a 28 (assuming you cant find a non AVS 31) A 31 CI WILL BEAT A 28 ALL THE TIME, EVERYTIME PERIOD! You need to be able to weld aluminum and access to a milling machine, if you do this make a jig to support the block so the machinist can clamp it on the milling table. I used a heavy peice of square tubing, used one of my broken cranks, machined it down, bolted it to the block through the flywheel side and made plate that bolted to where the head goes on the block. This keeps the block from warping when you weld it. You WILL get porosity when you weld the block, don't worry about it, gasket sealer will seal it.

Want to go fast and the engine live? Do this:

Cut the head .125
Use EC's valves, springs and retainers
Use Precision Cams Cheeta cam, Dyno has one also just as good
Small journal (non AVS) crank, ARC rod, brass eliminator plates.
Copper head gasket
ARC aluminum flywheel
EC's Carb, if you run Pro use the big Tilly (ask George)
No more than 30 deg timing
Don't try to use dual springs on valves-engine WILL break over 6500 RPM-
Don’t waste your time using a large journal AVS crank, that balances, they WILL break the timing gear.

VLMRA Singles Points Champion 2006
VLMRA Mini Champion 2007
VLMRA Sportsman Champion 2007
VLMRA Pro-X Champion 2008, 2009
ARMA Sportsman of the Year 2008
ARMA South East Region Mini 2009, 2010, 2011,2012
ARMA National Champion Mini 2009, 2010, 2011,2012, 2013
Maxton NC Model A Record Holder 118.54
VGMR 1932 Model A roadster world record 165.8

Offline Mowterhead

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 04:16:59 pm »
Thanks for all the info!! You all have been a big help thanks will keep y'all posted on how everything comes along

Offline redline

• # I BROKE IT
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 04:20:46 pm »
A 31 CI WILL BEAT A 28 ALL THE TIME, EVERYTIME PERIOD!

Nah. Back when my brother in law and I ran Briggs, all we ran was 28 cubes. And we did just fine..
Ed King

71.3% of the time, I'm right every time.

/>http://www.youtube.com/user/tawdew

Offline berthyd

• Turf Warrior
  • Voted of the Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 09:42:41 pm »
Ed, Troy and I would laugh when at National races, the guys with the big $$ 31 cid's asked my boys what they were running. They'd just shake their heads in disbelief when told they were getting whumped by 28's. Troy won an ARMA national title in mod-x with his 28.

Guess it matters more as to who's building (Ed) than what size.

Bert
Gary Busey and Rick James both used to live in my shop. Redline stole them.