Author Topic: brand new to Mower racing, engine questions  (Read 3097 times)

Offline deesel27

• View Profile
brand new to Mower racing, engine questions
« on: August 14, 2014, 06:46:09 pm »
I am just about done finishing up my first mower build,,, and have enjoyed it so much I'm planning on doing two more over the winter, as soon as a sell off most of my vintage snowmobiles I'll be on my way,my question is related to engine choices, my main mower I plan on finding a vertical V twin (Briggs and Stratton) second engine I already my have, it's a 12 hp Briggs and Stratton, was just wondering how much power is possible to get out of this 12hp single, it probably will be for my daughter so I don't need to get crazy but want her competitive, here in Maine we have a pretty liberal rule package, pretty much anything except aluminum flywheel, or should I scrap the 12hp and fine something else ? And where are good suppliers for parts?,,,thanks for any and all help in advance

Offline mikemowerman

• View Profile
Re: brand new to Mower racing, engine questions
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 08:47:08 pm »
Without the flywheel,you should NOT play with the governor.Are the engine limits(hp)In the class she will be running in?A good well built mowchine and a refreshed motor will be lots of fun.
Mowing daily   lawnmower racing in bc

Offline deesel27

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 08:20:50 am »
there are absolutely no rules to engine modification, just no aluminum flywheel

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Winning is always fair!!
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 08:55:12 am »
there are absolutely no rules to engine modification, just no aluminum flywheel
That is not a good set of rules!
These flywheels will not hold up used like that , and when they come apart it is ugly! We started out with a "no billet" class, after a season I cryo'd a couple of our wheels and it scared me! We were close to disaster!!

As for power from a 12 hp flatty, they can make enough to be more than a beginner wants! And V-twins can be built to be down right dangerous with the wrong person on them!

Read through the builds and you will find about everything you need to know.
EC Carbs, ARC, small engine cams...just a few of the suppliers in engine parts.

But again, PLEASE, if your not going to put a billet wheel on those engines, do not get crazy with the builds. I would hate to see your daughter or you get hurt.

Bert stole my cookies!!
 I think he used them to bribe Ed into something naughty?

http://www.cutlooseracing.com

Offline deesel27

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 09:02:33 am »
thank You very much for all the info,,,I'm more chassis driven anyways so I'll stick with a stock rebuild on the 12hp and maybe some minor tweaks like a tilliotson carb and some better flow with mild porting and exhaust,,,would never be able to live with myself if my daughter got hurt by a grenaded flywheel or something neglegent like that,,,thanks again and I have and will continue the reading of builds in this wonderful forum

Offline Huffy044

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 11:20:05 am »
I agree with Rooster- horrible set of rules, someone may build a full boogie race moter (you have no restrictions) and be beside your daughter when the flywhel lets go, think about it.

I'd find someone else to race with or stay home.
VLMRA Singles Points Champion 2006
VLMRA Mini Champion 2007
VLMRA Sportsman Champion 2007
VLMRA Pro-X Champion 2008, 2009
ARMA Sportsman of the Year 2008
ARMA South East Region Mini 2009, 2010, 2011,2012
ARMA National Champion Mini 2009, 2010, 2011,2012, 2013
Maxton NC Model A Record Holder 118.54
VGMR 1932 Model A roadster world record 165.8

Offline deesel27

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 11:45:03 am »
most everyone that is racing is Stock with chassis mods, was just looking to run this 12hp with the 18hp opposed engines,,,we are light years behind most of you on this forum as far as racing mowers,,,only one other guy is running something besides stock spindles for example,,,homemade offset wheels we are quite backyard/hillbilly,,,I am hoping to get us to the next level,or maybe travel south for myself,,,but it cost us little or nothing so thats fun

Offline Huffy044

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 12:52:30 pm »
I totally understand he cost of the  sport and the quest to have fun, here is my problem "there are absolutely no rules to engine modification, just no aluminum flywheel"

Someone is going to get tired of being beat and start learning how to modify their engine, it's gotta happen, thats why we race. It would be a terrible to get hurt from this, please keep this in mind as you guys progress into the sport.

I just gor a request last month from a guy wanting a really fast engine, I looked at his class rules and they are designed to keep cost down, stock frames, light beefing on the tie rods and so on.
VLMRA Singles Points Champion 2006
VLMRA Mini Champion 2007
VLMRA Sportsman Champion 2007
VLMRA Pro-X Champion 2008, 2009
ARMA Sportsman of the Year 2008
ARMA South East Region Mini 2009, 2010, 2011,2012
ARMA National Champion Mini 2009, 2010, 2011,2012, 2013
Maxton NC Model A Record Holder 118.54
VGMR 1932 Model A roadster world record 165.8