Author Topic: c/p class clarification  (Read 4247 times)

Offline tinyt

• View Profile
c/p class clarification
« on: August 04, 2014, 07:20:11 pm »
i was hoping for some help clarifying the c/p class engine rules.

"Engine must be originally manufactured for use in lawn mowing equipment and be stock in
appearance, with the exception of air filter, air cleaner or velocity
 stack. Crankshaft must be in original orientation and clearance hole in the frame.
 Engine may be internally modified"

now could i put any lawn mower carb on these motors, which brings my next question, would it have to be a stock manifold or could i make one, if not could i weld it or make a carb adapter, what is considered stock appearing? would a valve cover spacer or billet valve cover be not stock appearing, what if i were to paint a valve cover spacer, wouldnt that "appear" stock. the reason i ask this, is we tractor pull and have alot of r&d in are kohler carbs, and would like to put one on a kohler command single ohv engine in this class, but i am not sure if that would be legal, i just find a hard time interpreting the rules, they seem so veg, any help would be appreciated, i am not trying to cheat, i would just like to know what is considered stock appearing, in my eyes a stock kohler k series carb would look stock, the adapter could probably be a 1/4" thick and i would think that would fit with in the rules, but i am not 100%.

Offline Jeff Digou (Pitguy)

• Turf Warrior
  • Jeff Digou
    • View Profile
Re: c/p class clarification
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 07:53:31 pm »
stock manifold and carb  to the motor you have.   Making a plate would not be legal     Kolhler carb on a kohler motor 

Windsor Ontario Canada<br /
Jeff Digou

Offline tinyt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 08:01:15 pm »
As long as it is a carb made by the kohler, id imagine if i got the k series kohler carb to fit on the command manifold, that wouldnt be a problem, i am.sure it would only be a mater of enlarging the carbs bolt holes, that wouldnt be crossing the line right? I am.sorry if my questions seem dumb, i just want to be certain.

Offline Jeff Digou (Pitguy)

• Turf Warrior
  • Jeff Digou
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 08:18:05 pm »
How much of a difference between a k series carb and a command carb ? 

Windsor Ontario Canada<br /
Jeff Digou

Offline tinyt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 09:02:01 pm »
Not sure but a stock k series carb is around 1.0 venturi and 1.25 butterfly

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Winning is always fair!!
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 11:44:05 am »
stock manifold and carb  to the motor you have.   Making a plate would not be legal     Kolhler carb on a kohler motor 

Notice "To the Motor you have"..."Kohler carb on a Kohler motor" is not completely Accurate...

I am not a Kohler know it all by any means. But I do not believe Kohler ever put the K Carbs on the Commands?

If the Carb was not used on the engine that you are running, it is not legal. So for your Application it would have to be Command OHV Single carb on a Command OHV Single engine.

If you want a for sure and definite answer, you can get ahold of Manny Torres Or Kerry Evans through letsmow.com and they can give you an official rulling.

Adapters, extensions, custom intakes and recast parts are not allowed!! With the exception of Air cleaner adapters.

Bert stole my cookies!!
 I think he used them to bribe Ed into something naughty?

http://www.cutlooseracing.com

Offline Cromwell C4

• Turf Warrior
  • Jesus is our savior!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 01:03:35 pm »
Several respected US veteran racers are running the Kohler/ Carter K series carbs on the Kohler command single in the CP class, and they are legal. As long as the carb is made by the same manufacturer as the engine, it is legal to use. If this wasn't true, you wouldn't be able to run the vanguard nikki/tikki v-twin carb on the intek v-twin, or the EC two barrel carbs on the intek or any other engine for that matter. Also, several people run the bigger 17hp Tecumseh plastic bowl carbs on the 8/10hp Tecumseh AP engines, all legal, and the list goes on from there... And as far as intakes and adapters, Kohler command OHV single cylinders don't even have an intake manifold. There is only a 3/4" plastic spacer/insulator between the carb and head. As long as its a Kohler manufactured carb, you are good to go.
Tyler Cromwell - Cromwell Racing Engines - Specializing in Briggs Vanguard and Kohler Command V-twin engines, and Honda/Clone singles from mild to wild! Built to win, Engineered to last.

-Cromwell Racing engines and parts are home to numerous national championship titles and fastest qualifying times.

-Love God, Love Others -

Offline more4les

• Mow-Forum Junkie
  • FatBoyZ Racing - Mowin' Down the Competition!
    • View Profile
    • Northern  NY Lawn Mower Racing
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 01:13:17 pm »
There is only a 3/4" plastic spacer/insulator between the carb and head. As long as its a Kohler manufactured carb, you are good to go.

Same holds true for the Kawasaki FC540V.

Lester
2012 & 2014 Sportsman Champion (Builder/Owner), 2013 2nd.
2011 - 2014 Pro-Mod Champion, 2011, 2014 2nd Builder/Owner
2008-2013 Pro-Stock Champion (2009-13 Builder/Owner)
2007 Pro-Mod Champion
Founder of NNYLMR
http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/NNYLMR/
Front Yard Chassis
Impact Racing Engines
http://www.facebook.com/groups/NNYLMR/
SKYPE ME: more4les

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 02:47:04 pm »
Several respected US veteran racers are running the Kohler/ Carter K series carbs on the Kohler command single in the CP class, and they are legal. As long as the carb is made by the same manufacturer as the engine, it is legal to use. If this wasn't true, you wouldn't be able to run the vanguard nikki/tikki v-twin carb on the intek v-twin, or the EC two barrel carbs on the intek or any other engine for that matter. Also, several people run the bigger 17hp Tecumseh plastic bowl carbs on the 8/10hp Tecumseh AP engines, all legal, and the list goes on from there... And as far as intakes and adapters, Kohler command OHV single cylinders don't even have an intake manifold. There is only a 3/4" plastic spacer/insulator between the carb and head. As long as its a Kohler manufactured carb, you are good to go.
Well if everyone is doing it I guess it's legal?
Bert stole my cookies!!

Offline tinyt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 09:24:46 am »
Well thank you very much for clearing that up.

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 09:33:13 am »
LOL...lets just say the USLMRA rules are...ummm...Fundamental ;)
Bert stole my cookies!!

anything