Author Topic: $20 Craftsman LT1000 race mower.  (Read 9816 times)

Offline TokyoDrift99

• View Profile
$20 Craftsman LT1000 race mower.
« on: July 11, 2014, 01:07:16 am »
Hey guys, this is my first post and I figured I will share my project with everybody. Let me start off by saying that I have never built a racing mower before. Heck I have never even used a welder, but I plan to use this project as a canvas to practice my fabrication skills. I had  never even seen the internals of an engine before I tore into the Intek that came on my tractor, because my dad is the kind of person that lets other people do engine work for him. However I have built up quite a bit of knowledge on automotive engines by reading countless articles, and watching what is likely hundreds of YouYube videos. I would be willing to wager that if you set all the parts in front of me I could fully assemble a small block Chevy with no problems. I only have a basic crescent brand socket set, a impact driver, and A few other tools, but I plan to change that. I am going to borrow a welder from a friend, and basically teach myself to weld. I bought my LT1000 for $20, it has no hood, and it had a 18 horse Briggs Intek single that threw a rod. I planned to rebuild the motor, but the castings in the block that hold the camshaft in place were destroyed, because the cam got bent somehow. To add on to all that the cylinder wall was rusted from sitting outside, and it was missing the pushrods. I plan to put in a 16 horse Vangaurd v twin from a Husquvarna lawn tractor, the guy wants $125 so I guess it is an ok deal, but I will have to leave it bone stock for a while because I am on a very limited budget. The LT1000 originally had a hydrostatic transaxle, but I am trading the hydro for a Peerless 700, which is apparently a popular choice. I am going to use a 1 inch live rear axle, with a 8 inch rotor, and mechanical caliper form BMI karts. I plan to make a direct steer system, use the stock clutch with a stronger tension spring, and make a new front axle from box steel (I would use the stock axle, but it is cast iron). I don't know what to use for spindles, but I'll cross that road when I get to it... I tore down the LT1000 to pretty much bare frame today. The only parts still in place are the clutch, the steering box, and the front axle. My friend is coming over tomorrow, and we will make mounts for the 700 and maybe fill it with oil. I would also want to brace the frame, because it looks very weak in one spot... Here are the before and after pictures of the tear down, and the Husquvarna donor tractor. Just one question, where can I find some cheap wheels and hubs?

Offline TokyoDrift99

• View Profile
Re: $20 Craftsman LT1000 race mower.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 02:56:53 am »
Whoops I forgot this one.

Offline stvn_VA

• Gold Star
  • Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 11:53:32 am »
Well I have to hand it to you.  You have the confidence in your ability to learn quickly.  But one bit of advice no matter how many YouTube videos you watch experience is something that is priceless.  Listen very closely to the guys on this forum and respect their opinions.  I am looking forward to watching your thread as the build progresses.  You mentioned your spindles as something you will do later.  That should be one of your first things.  Get your wheels and tires along with your spindles and front/rear axle so you can set your height to whatever meets the requirements of your club.  Just remember experience is the only thing you get right after you just needed it!!!
Steven
Southern Thunder Racing
Abingdon, VA

There are three kinds of men;
 1.) The ones that learn by reading
 2.) The few who learn by observation
 3.) The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Offline TokyoDrift99

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 12:10:20 pm »
Well I have to hand it to you.  You have the confidence in your ability to learn quickly.  But one bit of advice no matter how many YouTube videos you watch experience is something that is priceless.  Listen very closely to the guys on this forum and respect their opinions.  I am looking forward to watching your thread as the build progresses.  You mentioned your spindles as something you will do later.  That should be one of your first things.  Get your wheels and tires along with your spindles and front/rear axle so you can set your height to whatever meets the requirements of your club.  Just remember experience is the only thing you get right after you just needed it!!!

I'm not in a club, I just plan to rip up and down the roads, as I live in a "backwoods" area where people ride all sorts of stuff down the road, nobody really cares.

Offline stvn_VA

• Gold Star
  • Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 12:22:04 pm »
 Maybe you should read the "Yeah, But..." topic under Admin Announcements on the General Tab
Steven
Southern Thunder Racing
Abingdon, VA

There are three kinds of men;
 1.) The ones that learn by reading
 2.) The few who learn by observation
 3.) The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Offline cycloneracer

• Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 01:20:48 pm »
http://www.heymow.com/index.php?board=2.0

Start out here.   Read all the topics in that section.

We are dedicated racers here and want to promote the sport.

Paul Krueger

****2017 USLMRA FXT points Champion****

#150 Worlds First "sidewinder" FX (now dismantled)

#150 FXT  Sponsored by Zach Kerber Machine. http://zkbrmachine.com/

Easy Parcheesy Racing

Offline TokyoDrift99

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 08:36:39 pm »
Wow guys thanks for the helpful replies........ I'm not made of money, and I dont own a vehicle, and I dont even have a drivers license. Trust me I'd I could join a club if I could.