Author Topic: Upside down tranny?  (Read 3113 times)

Offline goinbroke2

• View Profile
Upside down tranny?
« on: November 14, 2014, 07:00:28 pm »
I got a couple mowers in the garage and since the dragsters put away and the snowblower is all fixed/good to go i thought I'd start on a mower.
I've gone through quite a few threads to see what/how you guys do it. I saw a couple that seemed to suggest they put the tranny in upside down. Is that right?
I see double pulleys mounted on a vertical shaft and it's obvious power runs from the engine, to the bottom pulley, then through the shaft to an upper pulley which then transfers power to the upside down tranny.

Am I seeing that right>? Will the tranny last, running upside down?

Offline redline

• # I BROKE IT
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Upside down tranny?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 07:19:08 pm »
Got a link to it? I think you are looking at a transaxle with jackshaft setup.
Ed King

71.3% of the time, I'm right every time.

/>http://www.youtube.com/user/tawdew

Offline 720 dominator

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 09:43:52 pm »
It sounds like u have a fnr (forward neutral reverse) style tranny in that case u only have 1 fwrd gear an 1 revs gear for that tranny an they don't seen to last very long so i don't see allot of ppl use them
Try an find a peerless 700-820 or even a Spicer... They baily the same thing but i run a 700 an they past a long time the 820 just has a bigger Axel shaft

Offline BIG AL 202

• Highly Mowtivated
  • LET'S GO FIND A NEW PLACE TO RACE MOWERS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 06:19:46 pm »
HINT get rid of any reversing setup in the trans. The 700 for instance has a chain, take it out you won't need it. They break and take out the whole trans.
ALWAYS VOTE FOR ED!   FONGS BROTHER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER!

Offline redline

• # I BROKE IT
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 07:17:26 pm »
It sounds like u have a fnr (forward neutral reverse) style tranny in that case u only have 1 fwrd gear an 1 revs gear for that tranny an they don't seen to last very long so i don't see allot of ppl use them
Try an find a peerless 700-820 or even a Spicer... They baily the same thing but i run a 700 an they past a long time the 820 just has a bigger Axel shaft
If I am interpreting you correctly, you are stating a Spicer transaxle is the same as an 820? The fact that both are transaxles and both have gears and such, you are correct. As far as durability, a Spicer wouldn't last2 laps with me running it.

820's have the same junk reverse chain.
Ed King

71.3% of the time, I'm right every time.

/>http://www.youtube.com/user/tawdew

Offline berthyd

• Turf Warrior
  • Voted of the Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 08:15:16 pm »
I've run some upside down transaxles on occasion. Let's see, Ed was upside down at White Creek one year, Troy Larson was upside down in Fifield, Ed was again upside down in Illinois somewhere (but that was on his own mower).

In those cases, the upside down transaxles did not work well as the tires could not reach the track surface.

Bert
Gary Busey and Rick James both used to live in my shop. Redline stole them.

anything