Author Topic: determine belt size  (Read 1679 times)

Offline greasemonkey92

• View Profile
determine belt size
« on: June 22, 2014, 04:37:41 pm »
How do I determine belt size after my pulley swap? I have my old belt and can measure it and will measure my pulleys when I get a chance but wasnt sure if there was a simple way to determine without measuring the whole route... thanks for any and all help
Gary Sloniker
Goin in deep and leave hard

Offline crazycraftsman

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • owen
Re: determine belt size
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 07:43:38 pm »
If you have a old big belt cut it to fit , drill a hole on each end and sap strap it together . Then I take to the local Lawnmower shop and match the size with there tool.
owen
Lawnmower Racing in B.C   Canada
WMWS points cup winner BP 2016
Wmws points cup winner CP 2017
Wmws points cup winner CP 2018

Offline matt175

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: determine belt size
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 01:24:49 am »
Also make sure you have your clutch pretty close to straight when figuring belt length. The last one I built I didn't do that and ended up with an inch too long belt. It worked fine for a few laps but once the belt stretched a little the clutch was out of pull (spring not keeping belt tight), and my belt slipped really bad. I revised the linkage so I could run an inch shorter belt and the slipping issue is gone now. Look at George's 07 build, he has some good pictures of a correct belt clutch setup and you will see what I mean by having the clutch close to straight. It's also a good idea to incorporate as much pull in the clutch (release and spring pull) as you can. If not it'll either slip or you won't be able to get it to release.

Hope this helps you out, if it don't then let us all know what did help you get it right.
Matt Hewett
2009 All American Mower Championships 2nd place Super Modified Twin

anything