Author Topic: Sears manual trans won't engage forward gears  (Read 1485 times)

Offline Komeuppance

• View Profile
Sears manual trans won't engage forward gears
« on: May 19, 2014, 06:40:57 pm »
Hello all, I've been browsing your forum for a while but this is my first post, been doing some searching though I am a newbie when it comes to mowers.

I've bought a used mower that I've been told has a sears trans swapped in it. When I got it the clutch/brake pedal did nothing and I adjusted it the best I could.  It worked ok for a few test runs, but now it will only reverse.  Once in a while it tries to engage a forward gear, the mower lurches forward, but then it feels like it pops out of gear.  Selecting reverse works just fine.  When the engine is off, it can go into gear and you can't push it.  I'm thinking the clutch and drivebelt adjustment is wrong, maybe the drive belt is too short, but I have no idea.  Would like your help on things I should look for.

-Robert

Offline royalblu68f100

• Mow-Forum Junkie
  • Cartwheels are a helluva ride if you can hold on!!
    • View Profile
Re: Sears manual trans won't engage forward gears
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 10:13:34 am »
You may have bent, twisted, broken the shift keys, or input/bevel gears.  These transmissions are very sensitive to things like popping the clutch and downshifting (dont do either of these).
You never win a race by focusing on one aspect of the race!  Motor isn't everything, but you better have a good one!  Chassis too!  But remember, a driver can take a slow machine and make it faster!  I may not have/be the best of any of these but I'm trying!
Chris Cox- CP/Mod X, AP
2016 ALL AMERICAN CP/Mod X Champion
2015 USLMRA AP Champion
2014 USLMRA AP Runner Up
2013 USLMRA AP Champion
2012 SRUSAAO ModX/CP Champion
2012 USLMRA CP Champion
2012 US Open AP Champion
2011 SRUSAAO MOD-X/CP Champion
2011 USLMRA FX Points Runner up
2011 GALMRA CP Points Champion

Offline Komeuppance

• View Profile
Re: Sears manual trans won't engage forward gears
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 07:37:21 am »
Thanks for the responses, it is a transaxle.  I do not have any model numbers at this time unfortunately, I'll have to clean it up and get back to you on that.

Looks like I'll have to take it apart anyway??  Most likely not a belt adjustment issue??

-Robert

anything