Author Topic: Predator 212 cam sprocket?  (Read 7397 times)

Offline Gearhead0101

• View Profile
Predator 212 cam sprocket?
« on: April 16, 2014, 09:25:13 pm »
Hey yall, relatively new to the lawn mower scene, I work mostly on cars. My question is, would advancing the timing on my predator 212 at the cam sprocket make any difference in power?  Even just a small amount, I'm doing a lot of little things that, when put together will equal bigger gains. Any help would be much appreciated
P.S I know there's a chance of blowing the engine, I'm only talking about a tooth or two. Please don't waste my time with "you'll blow the engine!" Just answer the question.
I live my life a 1/4 mile at a time. For those three seconds, I'm free.

Offline The Tank

• Highly Mowtivated
  • #44 Tank Racing!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Predator 212 cam sprocket?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 09:33:22 pm »
Not trying to start anything because I have no clue about particular engine but being on this forum for a while now, the last couple sentences sound rather arrogant and demanding. Sometimes you have to take the good with the bad, after all its a public forum but maybe someone will be able to help.
Frank "The Tank" Woods

AKA "The Intek Outlaw"

Offline crazycraftsman

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • owen
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 12:43:35 am »
I agree. :welcome: to heymow , this is a friendly place.
owen
owen
Lawnmower Racing in B.C   Canada
WMWS points cup winner BP 2016
Wmws points cup winner CP 2017
Wmws points cup winner CP 2018

Offline russell jennings

• Turf Warrior
  • like it says on my mini: ANYTHINGS POSSIBLE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 02:48:04 am »
it will make it run worse,and start hard. to gain anything you need to buy an aftermarket can. sorry.
Jersey Boyz Mower Racing
Garden State Racing Mower Assc.
#131 pro-x
#829 mini-pro
#44 mod-xr
#289 mini-pro

Offline Gearhead0101

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 09:46:01 pm »
Not trying to start anything because I have no clue about particular engine but being on this forum for a while now, the last couple sentences sound rather arrogant and demanding. Sometimes you have to take the good with the bad, after all its a public forum but maybe someone will be able to help.
[/quote Sorry bout that. It wasn't meant to be demanding, just a time saver. I'm a meat and potatoes kinda guy, give me what I ask for, save the extras. Short and to the point.
it will make it run worse,and start hard. to gain anything you need to buy an aftermarket can. sorry.
No worries, I was planning on that anyway. Any recommendations to a good cam that'll fit this engine? 
I live my life a 1/4 mile at a time. For those three seconds, I'm free.

Offline willenglish

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 10:22:33 am »
I dont know what kind of racing you are doing...but if you retard the cam timing by a tooth...it will move the peak torque a little higher in rpms...about 500. No net increase in hp. Any more than one tooth and you loose performance. Aftermarket cam is the way to go. Just beware..if  you are running ratio rocker arms...you will run into clearance and valve spring problems quickly.
William L. English, jr.

Offline Gammey4

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 01:52:08 pm »
In the auto world you advance the cam to increase torque and retard it to move the powerband higher. One tooth would be way too much, usually 4-5 degrees is a lot with cam timing.

Offline Hondo_k19

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 07:40:26 pm »
Arcracing.com and nrracing.com have tons of parts for the predator 212, if you like quality and are willing to pay for it raceseng.com has some awesome parts but like I said they're a little steep. I built a 212 last summer if you want more details on what I put in it just ask, I don't want to bore you if you don't want to hear it.
Miguel "Hondo" Hernandez

anything