Author Topic: Mufflers (not exhaust)  (Read 2867 times)

Offline Mowchine09

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Mufflers (not exhaust)
« on: March 26, 2014, 10:36:32 am »
I know I have read on here a few times about noise cancelling mufflers but I cant seem to locate it.  We have one of our local tracks that are possibly looking at running mufflers to keep the area neighbors happy. Even just knocking sound down just a little bit. Would really like to hear thoughts on this and ideas for a simple muffler that can be added and removed easily. I know mufflers are unheard of when it comes to racing but if it will help keep a track open then I would imagine we will do what we have to do.   Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Jason Powell #37  Super Sportsman / BP
\"Since I started mower racing I can sum up my financial status, my mower and my body in three words:  Broke, Broke and Broken..\"

2013 Voted Least Talented Driver (5th Award)

Offline BIG AL 202

• Highly Mowtivated
  • LET'S GO FIND A NEW PLACE TO RACE MOWERS!
    • View Profile
Re: Mufflers (not exhaust)
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 11:09:26 am »
WE ARE GOING TO HAVE THE NEED TO QUITE THESE MACHINES DOWN. OFF ROAD MACHINES IN MICHIGAN ARE REQUIRED TO BE 94 DECIBELS. SINCE WE ARE CLOSED COARSE COMPETITION MACHINES WE CAN GET AROUND IT. BUT STILL HAVE TO FOLLOW LOCAL ORDINANCES FOR TIMES AND SOUND. THE ONLY REASON I KNOW THIS IS BECAUSE I WORKED IN DNR LAW ENFORCEMENT [GAME WARDEN] FOR NINE YEARS AND DEALT WITH O.R.V.'S. THE SOUND IS GOING TO CATCH UP WITH US. MY THOUGHT IS MAYBE TO RUN A SUPERTRAPP STYLE MUFFLER. THEY ARE ADJUSTABLE FOR SOUND AND PERFORMANCE.
ALWAYS VOTE FOR ED!   FONGS BROTHER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER!

Offline Cromwell C4

• Turf Warrior
  • Jesus is our savior!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 11:45:14 am »
Check into the RLV Muffler silencers made for racing kart headers. They work pretty well without restricting too much. You would want the RLV Part # 4106 or 4120 muffler for open engines.

http://www.out2win.com/catalog/4exhaust.html
Tyler Cromwell - Cromwell Racing Engines - Specializing in Briggs Vanguard and Kohler Command V-twin engines, and Honda/Clone singles from mild to wild! Built to win, Engineered to last.

-Cromwell Racing engines and parts are home to numerous national championship titles and fastest qualifying times.

-Love God, Love Others -

Offline birdman_express

• I'm not fast...but man I can eat! INTEKS RULE THE PITS!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 12:38:12 pm »
My Vanguard runs stepped headers with an RLV Open muffler on each pipe, and it added 1 HP on the dyno. These are straight pipes, not 2 into 1.
Marc Baker

ARC Dealer

Marc from ARC.... "Billet Billet"