Author Topic: set up  (Read 3355 times)

Offline Tim Ladnier

• View Profile
set up
« on: September 01, 2013, 05:13:12 pm »
I'm needing some advice on my sons mower.  We run on a track that has 150ft. Straight aways and his set up is a stock motor with a 7 inch pulley going to a 4 inch on a 700 tranny with 13 tooth sprocket to 48 tooth sprocket on rearend. His rear tires are 16-7.50x8. When he comes out of a corner it takes him all of the straight away to build his rpm's to 4100 range. I need a little lower gear. Would using a 14 tooth on the tranny fix this issue, or any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. He constantly finishes 2nd or 3rd out of 6 to 8 mowers.  We need a little more.
Tim

Offline mowdivator

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: set up
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 07:07:55 pm »
Well I run 8"motor 5" trans 10T to 48T and out of 8 races this rear I have won 7 and finished 2 the other race. The track I run on was 150 straights what you are looking for is some ware around a 4-4.5 ratio and that's running at 3650rpm

Offline Tim Ladnier

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 08:07:37 pm »
What gear do you run in? He runs it in 4th.
Tim

Offline mowdivator

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 09:24:14 pm »
I run it in  4th as well but If I feel the need to shift up to 5th I do so when going down a straight  ...that method has worked for me but it all comes down to the style of racing the machine as well ..when I go into a corner I take my left elbow and  lean it to my left knee which helps me slide my mower through the corners ...I was used to racing quads as well so I kind of run that style of raing with my mower

Offline LOUIS CATES

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 09:58:06 pm »
 You didn't say what size motor you're running, but based on what you have said  I would say your two best options are 12 tooth for fourth gear or go up to 15 tooth to run in third gear. Somewhere on this site if you search you will find a ratio calculator that is very useful
THANKS,  LOUIS

Offline Jeff McKelroy

• Professor Ducky
  • Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 10:42:04 am »

Offline ccreech5464

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 09:12:21 pm »
Hey Jeff is there one of those fancy things for guys running transaxles ?
Hope for the best but expect the worst!!

CJ Creech, pipeline welder at selective structure
Philidelphia TN, 37846

Offline Jeff McKelroy

• Professor Ducky
  • Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 12:38:23 pm »
I made a spreadsheet for one once, what I had to do was split the transaxle case and figure out the ratios between each gearset, i.e. input gears, input/countershaft gears, countershaft/transfer gear, transfer gear/differential gear.  Once you find the ratios for each of the gearsets, multiply all the ratios together, and that will be your input to output ratio.  Every transaxle is different, so you may have to do it the same way.

There's probably an easier way, but I am notorious for doing everything the hard way it seems...

There might be a website, such as www.odref.com/peerless that might be able to shortcut your having to split the case, if and only if it gives you the gear tooth count for every single gear.

Hope that helps!