Author Topic: Steering shaft question  (Read 3130 times)

Offline Tom Price

• Mow-Forum Junkie
  • I'm so fast your girlfriend cheers for me!
    • View Profile
Steering shaft question
« on: July 18, 2013, 08:43:00 pm »
I know some of you guys run a quick disconnect on your steering wheels that have the adapter welded onto the steering shaft.  My question is do you guys leave the steering shafts in the mowers?  I normally weld the "pitman" arm onto the bottom of the steering shaft so if you weld the adapter on the top of the shaft you won't be able to slide the shaft out.  Thought about welding the arm to a shaft collar and sliding it on the shaft and drill and tap the shaft to bolt it on but wonder if it will be strong enough?  Just seeing what everyone else does

Tom
#5 Tom Price
Price Mowersports
Lanesville, IN
2-Time Indoor Winter Nationals Winner

Offline leadslead

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Steering shaft question
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 09:24:44 pm »
In all mine up to the last one I had quick disconnect but hole stearing Colum would come out with 6-12 bolts  new one I did on a budget of. As little $$ as possible so I drilled an but a bolt thew it ..... The way I look at it if it has to come out its ither bent or broke so cut it off ... Redrill & weld again .... I've reused one 3 times till it was to sort & could not weld again
STEVE HENDERSON

Offline foolnhismoney

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • MP Mowersports
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 09:28:56 pm »
Tom I'm with Steve I have built over twenty mowers and all of them are welded both sides. And anytime they had to come out it was cause they were bent. So like Steve said your cutting it anyhow.

Offline Tom Price

• Mow-Forum Junkie
  • I'm so fast your girlfriend cheers for me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 09:36:42 pm »
Cool, thanks guys!
#5 Tom Price
Price Mowersports
Lanesville, IN
2-Time Indoor Winter Nationals Winner

Offline faster295

• Braaaaaaap
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 09:43:24 pm »
Tom, we build ours with a sleeve over the shaft. The shaft slides through a heim joint, into a price of tubing with two bolts holding the shaft n the sleeve or tubing. Then the tubing has another piece of the shaft going through the lower heim. Unbolt and slide the upper shaft out, and take the collar off the bottom shaft pull it out. Both ends are removable if the lower heim is below the pitman arm. I hope that makes since.
Brad Adams
FXS #295

Offline Burwell555

• Hot Rod Hitman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 02:45:20 am »
I use a u joint and weld my QC nut to the top and pitman arm to the bottom. Bust 3 jam nuts loose and the whole thing comes out. Fool proof, and no bearings to go bad.  Get the 3 piece heims that have the Teflon around the ball, no more squeakin! The key to keeping a steering shaft from bending is keeping your top heim close to the top edge of the shaft. As close as possible at least
Zach Burwell
#555 of Triple Nickel Racing

Wanna know a quick way to lose 8 pounds?!

anything