Author Topic: New to this, looking for info.  (Read 3970 times)

Offline JPG8402

• View Profile
New to this, looking for info.
« on: June 09, 2013, 08:37:10 pm »
Hey guys, I've just picked up a "new" mower and would like some info on it if anyone can help. I've done a bit of research since I got it on Friday... but to be honest it was mainly to find stock replacement parts like the fuel tank straps and the fuel line. It has no carb on it and found a few carbs listed for my model number, but not sure which to go with or if theres something else that'd be better for a bit better performance. Also, I'm assuming its gravity fed, but there's a gravity fed and a pump fed option for both the Walbro & Nikki. Is this a flathead Briggs? Is this a common, decent engine? From my minimal reading I think it's a yes to all 3 of those. The most important question(s) is are there performance mods for my engine and/or mower? I don't plan on building to race or pull. I just like to tinker and have always wanted to do so with a lawn mower. I'm not new to mechanics or modding(I have competition pulling truck), but I am new to small engines and mowers. Basically what I'd like to do is make this thing more powerful and fun to drive in town for cruise night and messing around in the fields. My buddy has a backyard modded mower with a Honda 185 in it that eventually one day I'd like to some what keep up with lol. Anywho, I'd also like to know where to find the "normal" info on the engine and mower... like whats the cubic inches/cc's, known weak points, what kind of transmission. Any info or leads to more info would be greatly appreciated gents!

Here it is;

Offline JPG8402

• View Profile
Re: New to this, looking for info.
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 01:03:47 am »
Anybody? At the very least just want to get pointed in the right direction. Finding info on these things is not near as easy for my trucks.  :P

Offline birdman_express

• I'm not fast...but man I can eat! INTEKS RULE THE PITS!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 08:02:11 am »
http://www.heymow.com/index.php?topic=3318.0

We build purpose built machines for the track, not just to see what we can build
to go fast with at the house. That is why you have not been flooded with help
to get you going. You have a good base to start with, why not try finding a race
near you, and see what you like about the mowers. Then build it. And who are you,
and where are you from? All the information you want is in the archives somewhere
on this site.
Marc Baker

ARC Dealer

Marc from ARC.... "Billet Billet"

Powered by a Full Bug E.C. 20HP Vanguard!!!!

Offline JPG8402

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 12:34:53 pm »
Yes I know most are building a purpose built race mower and I am not.... but the problem is there isn't much for forums on mower racing/modification in general. Let alone a forum specific to recreational modding. Sorry if that bothers you that I'm not building a race mower. Not what I intended but we all gotta start some where right? Besides, I very well may end up build one later on down the road... but to have just bought a mower, knowing jack squat about it/modding it/mower racing and expecting to build a race mower and compete is a bit silly. Believe me, I have been searching the forum, and the internet for info. Believe me, I know how forums usually work. Problem is its so hit and miss and most of it is coded in the language of guys who already know their stuff. I'll just keep searching and deciphering what I find. I'm from South Dakota, so from what I've found I'd have to head down to Nebraska or Iowa to see some races... which I'd like to at some point.  :D

Offline The Tank

• Highly Mowtivated
  • #44 Tank Racing!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 03:17:25 pm »
Honestly don't waste your time or money. Those MTD transaxles dont hold up well to higher speeds. Just a FYI note.
Frank "The Tank" Woods

AKA "The Intek Outlaw"

Offline birdman_express

• I'm not fast...but man I can eat! INTEKS RULE THE PITS!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 09:16:50 pm »
Sorry if that bothers you that I'm not building a race mower. Not what I intended but we all gotta start some where right?

I started with building a race mower, and drive an average of 3.5 hours to go race.
I wanted to go race down at the next town, but there is no racing there.
I also didn't try to get smart with the rules of the site either.
If you take the governor off, you better have a billet flywheel,
and axle mounted brakes.
Marc Baker

ARC Dealer

Marc from ARC.... "Billet Billet"