Author Topic: First FX Lawn Mower Build...Help needed  (Read 3421 times)

Offline B_RAN85

• View Profile
First FX Lawn Mower Build...Help needed
« on: March 13, 2013, 03:29:39 pm »
I have raced many "stock" lawn mowers that were not lowered or anything we just took the govenors off the engine, stuck a 3" pulley on the transaxle and that is pretty much as far as the driveline is concerned. I am looking to make what most consider an "FX" mower. I would like for it to be about 3" off the ground with nerf bars on the side and front and rear bumbers. I know obviously I will need to spend some money on parts such as straight axles, hubs, sprockets, brakes ect. My questions is can anyone give me some tips on how to do this or give me a blueprint, also good/cheap websites who supply these parts. Another question is without buying any of the needed parts for a true FX mower can I lower the front end of a regular stock mower that you would buy from a store? I know how to lower the back end but not the front. Another question is should I run a pulley and belt straight back to my transaxle which has 6 gears I believe with a 3" pulley or should I run a pulley and belt to a 3 gear tranny and then run a chain from that to a back axle and sprocket? Thanks for all the help everyone.

Offline cycloneracer

• Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: First FX Lawn Mower Build...Help needed
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 03:39:39 pm »
What group are you racing with?   I've never heard of such rules.  Sounds like you need to read the rule book again.

We need this info to give you good advice. 
Paul Krueger

****2017 USLMRA FXT points Champion****

#150 Worlds First "sidewinder" FX (now dismantled)

#150 FXT  Sponsored by Zach Kerber Machine. http://zkbrmachine.com/

Easy Parcheesy Racing

Offline 720 dominator

• View Profile
Re: First FX Lawn Mower Build...Help needed
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 11:33:43 pm »
Website eccarborators.com
Stores buckhiets, or tractor supply

Ok for a fx I would go with the 2inch ground clearance 42 inch with front an back (from the widest part of the mower (normally outside of sidewalls)
Trans go with a right angle gear box or a 700 peerless.gearbox (from ec) unless u have one... A straight axle 1 1/4 if I don't want to replace every 5 races or so... Unless Ur lucky lol...and use a centrifugal clutch so u can run all chain (nothing to slip) pm me if u need help in anything