Author Topic: Ignition probs.  (Read 3895 times)

Offline Tanis

• View Profile
Ignition probs.
« on: December 28, 2005, 12:34:01 pm »
i have 2 briggs engines, both of them are getting very little fire, can someone tell me something i could do. could it be the points? some one tell me some of the usual problems with them. thanks

Offline arcbilletrod

• View Profile
Ignition probs.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 12:55:32 pm »
Does it have points?  Most newer engines don't, and if you can, I suggest changing over to the manetron style ignition.  No points and it will have a good spark.
his is TC incognito

Offline Butcher

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Ignition probs.
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 10:41:35 pm »
Need hotter spark?? Look into hotter gocart coils . They work real good w/ the adj. mount. Just have to machine stock coil mounts down and I believe some of the closeby cooling fin or fins at bottom of cyl.(been a few years since I used that setup) Gives you a wide range of fixed timing adjustment w/ a full timing key w/ no offset.

Butcher.

Offline SilentNoise

• View Profile
    • http://www.silentnoise.ca
Ignition probs.
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 04:53:58 am »
I had to trouble shoot my ignition last year, and after trying a bunch of stuff (regapping the coil, regapping the plug, getting a new plug, etc), it came down to having only a couple of wires attached to the plug connector on the plug wire.

Sure, it's not really a common thing that happens I'd say, but it's cheaper to inspect and be sure of than going out to get a new coil at least.... especially if the motors getting up there in age.

All I did was pry the crimped ends open, cut down the wire's covering and reattach it.... then while testing it, I got zapped and knew had made a good connection  :lol: