heymow.com - Lawn Mower Racing Forum
July 26, 2014, 12:05:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Want to Join our site? CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar Staff List Links Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RoMow's Custom Yard Tractor  (Read 2917 times)
RoMow
Turf Warrior

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2012, 04:21:34 PM »

I call this “RoMower” as a take-off of my own last name.  I built it using the front half of two heavy-duty Sears’ garden-tractor frames.  The first front half became the front half of my tractor; the second front half was turned around, properly dimensioned, fitted and mated to the first front to keep a stock 47” wheelbase.  Sears’ frames worked best because they are readily and inexpensively available, they have the drive-belt tensioning-idler mechanism right next to the engine-mount position, and their parts are universally interchangeable with just about any other Sears, Poulan, Weed-Eater or Husqvarna mower.

The engine is a 25 HP Tecumseh Enduro XL V-twin Model OV691EP with stock exhaust and governor.  The transaxle is a new Peerless 820-016 with one of my Gearset Upgrade 1s installed.  The engine pulley is 4” diameter and the transaxle pulley is 8” diameter.  Front turf-tread tires are 16x6.50-8; rear tractor-lug tires are 23x10.50-12.  All four tires have tubes installed, with Slime sealant in the tubes to prevent flats.  With the mower in 6th gear and the throttle wide-open to its governed 3800 RPM, I can exceed 20 MPH (32 KPH).  I need to engineer some caster into the steering because at those speeds, with the stock vertical-kingpin steering, handling gets a little squirrelly.  I also have another 820 transaxle with a Gearset Upgrade 2 installed, and that allows me to go 30+ MPH (48 KPH).  I have to be very careful steering at that speed!

When I finished the mower, I weighed it with one bathroom scale under each wheel, and with me sitting in the driver’s seat, 75% of the total 735-pound weight is on the rear wheels – maximum traction!  The only things up front, where the engine originally was, are the gas tank and battery.  I engineered it for traction because my initial reason for building it was to mount a 42", 2-stage snowthrower to the front so I could clear snow on my ¼-mile (0.4 km) of driveway and parking lot without having to mess with wheel weights and tire chains.  I have yet to test it under those circumstances.

Due to the rear-mounted engine with its resultant problems of getting power to a deck drive, I have no plans on mounting a cutter deck to this unit.

The main body is painted ’68-’69 Chevrolet Rallye Green Metallic; the wheels, front-grille section and drawbar are Husqvarna Orange.  I used these colors because my youngest twin Grandsons were helping me when I built it and Jonathan’s favorite color is green while Kyle’s is orange.  I chose Rallye Green because I almost special-ordered a new ’68 Corvair that color when I was in the Navy but didn’t because I didn’t have anywhere protected to park it and didn’t want to leave it parked on the pier while I was on deployment.  Husqvarna Orange was about the “orangest” I could find.

I wired the sealed-beam headlights and semi-truck clearance-light taillights through an ambulance flasher – when I turn on the lights, they flash alternately, like a railroad-crossing signal.  Viewers love it!

I also engineered the drawbar to exert downforce on the front wheels to prevent them from coming off the ground when I start pulling a heavy load.  I took it to a couple of mower pulls just for exhibition (they wouldn’t let me run for a trophy because the rules didn’t allow “modified” frames, only “stock”) and the spectators couldn’t understand why I wasn’t doing wheelies, especially with all that weight on the rear!  I’m not about to tell them my secret.

The bumpers are also stock Sears items, since the back of the frame is actually another “front.”  The hood and grille are off an old Gambles rider and the fenders are Jeep-style utility-trailer fenders.

Respectfully,
Rodney Rom
Rom's Reworks
Butler, MO

"No matter how many material possessions or awards you may acquire in your lifetime, the only thing you will ever truly own is your reputation." (Age 66)
The Tank
Highly Mowtivated

#44 Tank Racing!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 12:32:45 PM »

Nice looking build.

Frank "The Tank" Woods

AKA "The Intek Outlaw"
GRUBDIGGER
Custom Gear Picker
Mow-Forum Junkie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 12:54:10 PM »

RO MOW, DID YOU HAVE THIS ON E-BAY A WHILE BACK? IT LOOKS LIKE THE ONE IU SAW ON THERE.

JOHN HERRING
ARMA TECH
TRI-STATE RACING MOWER ASSC.
http://wwwtsrm.smfforfree.com/
heymow.com - Lawn Mower Racing Forum
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 12:54:10 PM »

RoMow
Turf Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 02:33:19 PM »

RO MOW, DID YOU HAVE THIS ON E-BAY A WHILE BACK? IT LOOKS LIKE THE ONE I SAW ON THERE.

John,

Yes, I did have this on eBay quite a while back, but I decided to keep it.

Interestingly...back in the January/February 2011 time frame, a lady named Anne McKee also tried to sell it on a Tampa, Florida, CraigsList scam.  Jack Jones, a customer of mine from that area, alerted me to this.  Seems she "borrowed" three of my pictures and half of my text and ran her own ad on Craigslist-Tampa.  I filed an official report on IC3 (the Internet Crime Complaint Center) as well as with the Hillsborough County Sheriff's office.  I never did hear back from either group, so I don't know if Anne McKee is still out there attempting to scam others, and I'm not sure if Anne McKee is her real name or if she stole that too, but I am forever grateful to Jack Jones for letting me know about what she tried to do.  And...I still have RoMower.
   My official complaint stated:
"I had a Custom-built Lawn Tractor listed on eBay (Item 320654761850). The Auction ended, Tuesday, February 8, at approximately 6:40 PM EST, and I have not yet Relisted it. I was alerted by a friend of mine in the Tampa, FL, area that someone has copied most of my eBay Ad with some of my pictures and is fraudulently offering the same item as a scam through Craigslist-Tampa. They do not have this mower in 'Tampa Bay; Hillsborough County' as the Craigslist Listing shows -- I have it here in Bates County, MO, and it is a one-of-a-kind mower. This is a felony copyright violation, as well as the aforementioned scam."

Rodney

"No matter how many material possessions or awards you may acquire in your lifetime, the only thing you will ever truly own is your reputation." (Age 66)
GRUBDIGGER
Custom Gear Picker
Mow-Forum Junkie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 05:56:15 AM »

I HOPE THEY CAUGHT HER.

JOHN HERRING
ARMA TECH
TRI-STATE RACING MOWER ASSC.
http://wwwtsrm.smfforfree.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print