Author Topic: how does one get started to have a track?  (Read 4935 times)

Offline WEASLE

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
how does one get started to have a track?
« on: October 08, 2012, 12:34:17 am »
what I mean is how would one get started to have a track and have it sanctioned? the reason I ask is there is a guy here in town I just found out that has/had side by side mud races. well he dont do that any more. So the side by side is just sitting. It has bleachers and guard rails and even a anouncers tower. On the other side of that, he has enough room for a track to be put in. He has plenty of parking space, pit area, even vender areas. But dont have much for electrical hook up. So most would have to be on generators.

Would I just approach the guy and ask hey do you want to race mowers? I really think he would probably laugh at me. Or should I try to get him to come by the house, show him this web site and some of the builds and some of the videos. I could show him the rule book and a few other things on here. But the main thing is to get him convinced to let his property be used.

then there would be the cost of getting the track made, keeping the grounds clean and mowed, getting more bleachers made etc.

basically if anyone has helped or set up a new track area if they can help me out and give some kind of idea on how to get set up I would appreciate it. thanks.
Reese Kennedy

Offline trbinrat

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: how does one get started to have a track?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 11:49:01 am »
I would approach the owner of the track and tell him your idea. Be honest and don't :censored: him. Have a plan before you talk to him.

How many racers do you have already to go?

Is the track in a good location, is it easy for people to get to.

Is there any other mower tracks near by. I would talk to them also. You may be able to start some kind of series.

And be prepared for the cost.

Insurance from a sanctioning body   $100  + the owner might want a separate policy. to cover the property.
Trophy's                                      $150   everyone likes trophy's
track help                                    $300   Announcer, gate help, on track help, scorer, clean up help, track prep help.
Local fees and permits                     $35     Some towns will have there hand out for any gathering.
Ambulance                                    $65/hr     

These prices might not be correct for your area and you might be able to get volunteers. But volunteers last only so long once you make a dollar 

These are some of the things to think about.

Mark

Mark
#33 SP   Kawi power

http://www.mpmowersports.com/

If you run with the heard you will never see the edge of the cliff
Racing lawn mowers is not cheap just cheaper.

Offline LC

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Central Iowa Lawn Mower Racing Association
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 12:10:11 pm »
You have a few guys an hour south of you that have been talking about doing the same thing. They are in Marshall, MO. We had several drivers from Iowa and Kansas meet in Marshall this past July and put on a show at their county fair. I'll PM you a name and number from Marshall. A couple of the guys from there came to Iowa and watched one of our races last month to see how we have things set up.

Good Luck!
L Curt Hodges
CILMRA #32
http://www.cilmra.com

Offline WEASLE

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 01:26:13 pm »
ya rooster told me about marshall but I didnt get any reply about info for them. As for racers ready, well they do more drag style racing here and I think they need to get into circle track racing. as for the track the circle track isnt made yet. it was a side by side mud races for trucks. and the guy is out of that now.

thanks for the info LC.
Reese Kennedy

Offline LC

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Central Iowa Lawn Mower Racing Association
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 08:51:32 pm »
Our 1st track was a old mud drag track as well. It was all set up and ready for spectators.
L Curt Hodges
CILMRA #32
http://www.cilmra.com

Offline WEASLE

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 09:18:50 pm »
ya but I dont think this one is big enough. for a 1/8 mile track anyway.
Reese Kennedy

Offline WEASLE

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 04:45:34 pm »
I would approach the owner of the track and tell him your idea. Be honest and don't :censored: him. Have a plan before you talk to him.

How many racers do you have already to go?

Is the track in a good location, is it easy for people to get to.

Is there any other mower tracks near by. I would talk to them also. You may be able to start some kind of series.

And be prepared for the cost.

Insurance from a sanctioning body   $100  + the owner might want a separate policy. to cover the property.
Trophy's                                      $150   everyone likes trophy's
track help                                    $300   Announcer, gate help, on track help, scorer, clean up help, track prep help.
Local fees and permits                     $35     Some towns will have there hand out for any gathering.
Ambulance                                    $65/hr     

These prices might not be correct for your area and you might be able to get volunteers. But volunteers last only so long once you make a dollar 

These are some of the things to think about.

Mark

havent had a chance to talk to the guy yet but a couple more questions. if you dont mind.

how much is entry fees for classes?
how much is it for spectators? if at all (would help with the other costs you mentioned)

If there is some where I can find a reference to this info please let me know. thanks.
Reese Kennedy

Offline BIG AL 202

• Highly Mowtivated
  • LET'S GO FIND A NEW PLACE TO RACE MOWERS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 05:06:43 pm »
http://www.letsmow.com/  TRY HERE TO HOST A RACE. GO TO "ABOUT" AND YOU WILL FIND IT.
ALWAYS VOTE FOR ED!   FONGS BROTHER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER!

Offline WEASLE

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 05:23:29 pm »
ya I was there just was reading that. thanks.
Reese Kennedy

Offline BIG AL 202

• Highly Mowtivated
  • LET'S GO FIND A NEW PLACE TO RACE MOWERS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 05:32:56 pm »
THERE IS ALSO A BOOK, NOT SURE THE EXACT TITLE BUT IT'S ALL ABOUT BUILDING, RACING, AND PUTTING ON A RACE. MAYBE SOMEONE REMEMBERS THE NAME. I KNOW IT'S AT HOME IN ONE [OR MORE] OF THE MOWMENTUM MAGAZINE.
ALWAYS VOTE FOR ED!   FONGS BROTHER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER!

Offline WEASLE

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 01:31:27 am »
here is a mapquest image of the property I was talking about. dead center of pic. and that is as close as I could get with mapquest.

http://mapq.st/RwwSdw

I dont have paint on my computer but here is the layout of the land that I was thinking of trying to get the owner to let us use for circle track racing. It is the area that has the drag strip lines, I just dont know how to pin point it with out having paint program and out lineing it. But surely someone will know what I am talking about. I mean it has perfect location, 2-3 blocks outside city limits. It is right behind our Walmart store, behind a big motel, several little motels in the area, with in 4 miles total. I know it would take some work to get the track layed out correctly but I think it can be done just want to make sure it is a big enough property first.

Again this property is just dormant now. He dont even mud races here anymore. He just pays the taxes and that is it.

So if anyone could chime in and give me an idea of how much land is needed maybe this will really work out. thanks.
Reese Kennedy

Offline MidMODrags

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 09:58:22 pm »
We drag race up around Brookfield alot we have one in Sumner this weekend. I and kinda interested in circle track as well so if you could get it going I would like to come up and try it out.
Josh

Offline WEASLE

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 10:40:39 pm »
I just dont have enough people interested. I dont want to be the only one to tell this guy all that stuff and he just laugh in my face. maybe we could get together this weekend and chat about it and figure something out. Where are you located?

Reese Kennedy

Offline MidMODrags

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2012, 09:44:42 pm »
Im located in Keytesville, Mo but will be in Sumner goose fest this saturday for the lawn mower drags at 3 p.m. im sure there is alot of people there that would also be interested in this if you would want to come up there.
Josh

Offline WEASLE

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2012, 09:47:48 pm »
yeah I wanted to go but had no gas money. but if you would pm me your name and number maybe we can get together on this and meet up sometime maybe next weekend.
Reese Kennedy

anything