Author Topic: Mowinmachine's build  (Read 67154 times)

Offline money89tractors

• Turf Warrior
  • Case 110
    • View Profile
Re: Mowinmachine's build
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2007, 06:36:41 pm »
for the most part, thats correct.

if you stick with the transaxle, youll have to figure out brakes mounted TO the axle, not to the factory shaft.

if you go to a live cart axle, you need to find a peerless to run with it, i know the 500 series is something like youll need, not sure if its the best for the job. and you will be able to add hydraulic brakes or mechanical brakes to a disk (or drum) on the axle.

for steering, you NEED to get the front end solid before you EVER ride it bast stock speeds. you dont want to come into a corner hot and heavy and the front end articulate on you and throw the mower over. the best idea would be to replace the front end with either a custom built one with much better spindles, or buy one.
g-team sales a F.A.S.T. front end here...
http://g-team.us/FAST.htm#fast
slideshow
http://g-team.us/Front_End/index.html
that will work perfectly for you.
as for the direct steering, theres many different ways you could do it. you could buy a kit...
this link to acmemower sports will show you how to set it up...
http://acmemowersports.com/photo_page3how_to_do_direct_steering.html
and this one is to the kit they sale...
http://acmemowersports.com/_steering_shaft_and_kit.html
and for only $20, buying that steering kit will be the easiest way to go.

hope this info will help

-Phil
..."I used that motto to keep going, keep pushing, keep digging to
find a way around, or through to find a hole, some kind of break that
would allow some space. Once something broke thru, I could be there to
take advantage. Then I would finish 7th instead of 10th." - Dubba G

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2007, 07:13:25 pm »
Hey Phil,
Thanks a bundle on the info. I actually went and looked a few days ago on the Acme page and that guys has most everything I need plus he shows you how to do it. Now I just need one of those cheapy-cheap little chinese made wire welders, do some fiddlin' around on some scrap metal, and gitRdone!
  Seems like those trannys can be had for cheap. Saw a few on Ebay for 10-20 bucks. Not bad at all.
Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing

Offline money89tractors

• Turf Warrior
  • Case 110
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2007, 07:22:23 pm »
thats pretty cheap for a peerless. just remember, if/when you get one and set it up for racing, refer to the tyranny setup thread on the site here, it will help you build a stronger trans.

-Phil

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2007, 09:06:45 pm »
I'm still waiting on parts. I went and saw Chini's mower yesterday, which gave me some ideas on how to install the brakes. I like the idea of having a gas pedal and combination clutch/brake. So I needed a gas pedal. I also figured I'd get a bicycle brake lever just in case the gas pedal idea didn't work. Anyhow, I went to the flea market and found this old sewing machine pedal shaped like a foot. It is really heavily built and has a very strong spring in it. It looks to me from the type of clotch covered wiring on it to be from the 20's, 30's. I took off the side-mounted voltage regulator and it'll fit just perfect on the right floorboard.
  I also picked up a Sachs scooter lever for 50 cents. The lever is really well built and will do nicely as a backup if plan A doesn't work.
Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing

Offline money89tractors

• Turf Warrior
  • Case 110
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2007, 09:17:48 pm »
that should make you a nice foot throttle, consitering you can get it setup right.

if you cant get it to work for some odd/weird reason, and still wish to have the foot pedal, www.midwestsupercub.net sales a nice polished foot pedal setup mostly used on tractor pullers.

heres a picture of it...
http://midwestsupercub.net/Gas_Pedal.JPG
-Phil

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2007, 09:20:15 pm »
That foot pedal looks shweet! If this one doesn't work, I'll look into that one. I hope this one works though. It'd be cool to tell people that my mower had sewing machine parts making it work.
Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2007, 11:29:21 am »
The last 2 weekends have been spent getting use to welding. Admittedly, I had never welded before except on occasion with my dad when I was 12. I picked up a Lincoln 100HD wire welder. So far, it has been a great machine. This weekend I felt confident enough to start on the frame. This old Sears has a pretty beefy frame except in the front. The frame up there is skinny, unreinforced, and has a large gap cut out for the old axle. I plan on welding a new solid axle in place of the old. The one I am getting should just fill the void. The original cross member in this void was barely tack-welded in place. So I welded it in solid.

Next came the reinforcement for the front part of the frame. Originally I had planned on using square tubing on the inside, but seeing that I would have to rearrange the clutch and idle pulleys, I went for the ugly/simple solution. I had picked up 3 bed frames at the flea market last weekend. These are made of 1/4" steel so they're pretty strong. They were also 1 10th the price of buying steel stock. So I just welded these on on the edges. I also welded part of the upper frame of the mower to these supports.

I plan on doing a lot more reinforcement in the next weekend. It just took a long time to do this since I am such a newbie to welding. Hopefully I'll get a little faster at it. Anyhow, that's it. Still waiting for hubs, brakes, and wheels.
Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing

Offline offroadwhatever8

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2007, 07:44:33 pm »
Thats pretty cool, Looks great to me  :woo:

Offline Scurry Murry

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2007, 11:24:41 pm »
I believe that frame is built, those crapsman frame are hefty duty. Good and bad, the good strong as an ox, bad heavy as heck. :coolpics: keep the photos coming
Team RPM Racing Volin South Dakota

Marindahl Racing points champion 3 years running.
10th place USLMRACP Class Points 2007
USLMRA #12b
Brian (Badger) Gustad SDLMRA President

USLMRA #87 Mark (Opie) Gustad SDLMRA Vice President

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2007, 11:34:09 am »
Ahhh... another weekend of mowers, mowing, and mowchine building. The weekend started out good with a lucky find- THREE push mowers out front of a house with a big FREE sign stuck to a telephone pole. All are in decent shape, one even started when I put gas in it. I usually sell these all spring and summer long for usually $45-$75, so that will usually pay for whatever weird hobby I'm into. So far I have 4 push mowers, a leaf blower, and 2 edgers.The season is about to start here, so I'll be in good shape.

Anyhow, I spent just about all weekend working on the frame of my machine. I spent a good part of Saturday measuring and cutting out pieces. Some were custom shaped to fit around certain things like the axle tunnel in the front. I wanted to stiffen up the rear but do it in a way that was both out of site and out of the way of the transmission, belts, etc. My solution was building a box frame out of 1/4" angle iron ( made out of the aforementioned bed rails) and welding this up in the middle of the rear section.
Next up came the front end. I've been concerned about this section because others have mentioned how vulnerable this part of these old Sears are to cracking around the axle tunnel. I had welded 1/4" angle iron to the sides last week, but felt it needed more. So I flipped her upside down and measured out 2 pieces of angle iron and welded these to the underside. The pieces just barely fit in the space between the axle tunnel and the frame. I welded these to the frame, axle tunnel, and front of the frame. ( front of the mower).

Next I decided to weld an extra piece of reinforcement to the front of the frame because even though I had welded the seams together, I still felt like this was a little puny, especially now that supports were welded behind it. So I welded a piece on the front. So all around the entire front there is 3 layers of 1/4" steel.

Next I figured that while the front was pretty well reinforced now, the front itself might need a little more structure tieing it to the fatter rear end. So I welded two pieces of angle iron to the sides at 45 degree angles. They just fit between where the footrests and pedals will go. To avoid jeans getting caught on the edges, I rounded the corners down and cut the clutch side down a bit. These are welded to the 1/4" side supports, which are welded on top of the frame. So they are attached to the thickest parts of the reinforced frame. We'll see if they hold...
Anyhow... there's still more that needs to be done to the frame. I would like to work on the steering column and supports next week. The factory ones are sort of a joke- thin sheetmetal type stuff. The frame on this mower is thick all the way up to the top of the steering column. I plan on welding angle irons across the frame up there with holes cut out for the steering axle. That aught to strengthen that up. But that's another weekend.
Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing

Offline sr71mopar

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2007, 11:46:28 am »
Looks like its coming along great.
Potter Valley Lawn Mower Racing
  Team Preferred Charters #71

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2007, 11:53:56 am »
Hey Greg,
Yup, so far so good. I'm still getting used to welding. The worst part was that I had painted the whole thing heavily prior to welding, which was stupid. Not sure what that paint was made out of,but it must be highly flammable. The frame kept catching on fire, as in big licking flames. Luckily I didn't burn the shed down. Anyhow, Ordering an Axle today or tommorow and surely the hubs and brakes I ordered will be here soon.
  Once all that stuff arrives, it aught to be smooth sailing. How's yours going? I heard you're going to stick with the Kohler? It'll be interesting to see what you do with your engine. By the way, do you know a cheap place for welding wire? This stuff is $9 a freakin' roll at Depot'. -Seth
Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • North Dakota Lawn Mower Racing Association
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2007, 10:31:31 pm »
Hey Phil,
Thanks a bundle on the info. I actually went and looked a few days ago on the Acme page and that guys has most everything I need plus he shows you how to do it. Now I just need one of those cheapy-cheap little chinese made wire welders, do some fiddlin' around on some scrap metal, and gitRdone!
  Seems like those trannys can be had for cheap. Saw a few on Ebay for 10-20 bucks. Not bad at all.

Cheapy cheap wire feeds are exactly that! Problems arise in duty cycle, and finding parts after the fact. Although you may save money on the initial purchase, in the long run you'll be money ahead to spend a little more and buy a little better welder. Lowes you can pick up a nice little Lincoln pretty reasonable and they carry all the miscellaneous goodies you'll need along the way like an assortment of wire, tips, and accessories.

If you need a second opinion talk with Birdman Express, he went the cheapy cheap route, and has grumbled a few times over it. Finding tips was a bit of a challenge, the store he purchased the welder from doesn't carry parts for it.   

Offline DanW

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2007, 10:35:41 pm »
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Welding&pid=00920568000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Welders&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes
A decently cheap welder that I have.  It's small, lightweight, and has lasted me for years.  I've built numerous things like catapults for school projects, a couple mowers, and I will be using it to make an exhaust and charge pipes for my car.  My only gripe with it is that the wire will arc any time it comes in contact with the grounded material.  Every other flux core mig I've used it set up so that the trigger must be pressed in order to arc.  I've also successfully welded thicker than the 3/16" it's rated for, you just need to preheat the material with a torch and keep it hot til you're done.

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2007, 11:32:34 pm »
Well guys,
I actually wound up getting a nicer welder. I got a Lincoln Weldpac 100HD. It welds up to 1/4" steel, which is more than enough for a riding mower. All the steel I am using is 1/8" and 1/4". So far I've been very happy with it and it should last for years. You're right about having to stay out of tight corners because the tip will sometimes short. Anyhow, glad I followed your all's advice and got the better one.
Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing