Author Topic: Mowinmachine's build  (Read 67134 times)

Offline SeanStanley

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
AARLMG

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Mowinmachine's build
« Reply #136 on: June 24, 2007, 09:27:07 pm »
This weekend was spent making a scatter shield. I have a 16 HP opposed twin and the shape of the blower housing is pretty odd. It also butts up right next to the air filter housing. Lastly, the engine barely fits under the hood. So the shield had to be narrow enough to fit. I also wanted to bolt it to the housing in a way that I could remove the shield and housing in one piece. So I bought some 3" high 1/8" thick steel and welded up the frame. I clamped it to the housing just above the bolt holes that mount it to the engine. I drilled holes and bolted the shield around the housing.

After that I had to cut away some of the air filter housing so the new shield would fit around it. When I put it on the engine, the oil filler tube was in the way. So I cut enough of the shield away so it can be got at and unscrewed.

The last thing was a pain in the rear. Whoever designed the stupid screen that goes on this engine gave no room for error when putting it back together. It rubs against the housing if it isn't put together JUSSST right. The shield changed the alignment just a hair.Enough so that the screen wouldn't go back in without rubbing. I do not like the idea of having exposed metal flywheel fins. I am too easily forgetful and lay my tools on top of engines all the time. I can just imagine getting a screwdriver scewered through me without that screen. So as stupid as it looks, I installed a hardware cloth wire mesh over the top. Worked out pretty well.

As you can see in the pics, I had no room to spare when the hood went back on. Not sure if a shield is entirely necessary for this, but I feel better, especially since this mower is going to be in a parade.
Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing

tractorman

« Reply #137 on: June 25, 2007, 07:48:20 am »
Looks good and safe!

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 04, 2007, 10:50:43 am »
This weekend I finally got around to 'upgrading' my transmission pulley size. I got a new job about a month ago and due to the 50+ mile each way commute, barely have time to work on the mower on week days. So it was good to get some work done over the holidays.

The pulley I've been running is a 4.5". I run this with a 87" belt. I ordered a 3.5" pulley with an 86" belt. In order to make this work, I did have to modify a few things. The belt guides which I had made to be adjustable luckily only had to be adjusted inwards a bit. On the other hand, the belt was now running into the shifter in 5th gear. So I had to do some tweaking, heating, grinding, and polishing it to make the shifter go around the belt. The cool thing is that with it in 5th gear ( my racing gear) the bent "U" shape in the shifter now acts as a secondary belt guide, which is nice given the fact that I'm using a single long belt that likes to whack around like crazy.

The transmission, which is a Foote 5 speed hasn't had the oil changed in months. So I changed the oil.The gasket material I used previously was apparently not oil resistant. It had been leaking  A LOT of oil. When I took it apart, hardly any gasket material was left. The new sealant I got is specifically for transmission cases.

These are supposed to be the bad transmissions. But interestingly enough, we have 4 guys in our group using them and so far none have given us any problems. Mine is still in good shape with minimal wear. The trick is to put the thing in gear and NOT shift it while driving.

With the slightly smaller rear pulley, the overall speed has gone up to around 45MPH, which is sufficient given that we race on a smallish track. I think the size of pulley now is about as small as I can go without having some slipping issues. This will be the setup I use until the end of the season. Then it will probably be time to modify the mower for a live axle setup.
Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing

Offline chini

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 05, 2007, 12:28:23 am »
   Hey Seth, I got your spare on the floor awaiting your arrival. So remind me before the next race so I can bring it to you.
  Also I spoke to that dude in Covelo, He informed me there is 1 running and 3 more being built to compete with us in October.
    Kevin         
Kevin Pierachini

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 05, 2007, 11:30:00 am »
Hi Kevin,
Appreciate the spare tranny. We'll see if I need it. So far, this one seems to be holding up pretty well. I took it apart and inspected all the gears and there isn't any wear to speak of. I do think I'm going to go with a smaller unit, like a 700 or equivalent so I can lower the mower more and gain a little more speed. But the setup I have now seems reliable for this season. By the way, when is that event you were telling me about at the end of the month? I was debating whether or not to come up there as my wife will possibly be out of town.
 See you later!-Seth
Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing

Offline TheMowinCuban

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 12, 2007, 02:49:46 pm »
about a couple weeks ago, i picked up a free craftsman with a 12HP and a foote >6< speed (ever heard of one with that many gears?) and i'm also running into problems with having a small pulley on the back and the shifter hitting the belt. (by the way, yes i did make the mower safer before putting a 3 inch pulley on the back, and i also wear a helmet, long sleeves, and gloves when i'm riding it)  i also havent had any problems with my foote tranny, since i just recently blew up my STOCK MTD transaxle, this craftsman is my new dirt track mower.

(i know this post seems senseless, but i've been trying to find a place where i can say this)
Gotta love a good 'ol Briggs Flathead! :thumbsup:

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 12, 2007, 07:56:23 pm »
Well, I tell you what I had to do for my shifter. I had to basically mark where the belt was hitting the shifter shaft when it was put into 5th gear. Just use a permanent marker to mark the general area that the belt hits. Then I cut that section out and welded in a wide "U" shaped piece of round stock. That got the belt to basically run right through it and at the same time make a nice additional belt guide.

Admittedly it took A LOT of tinkering, hammering, heating, and swearing to get it to work just right, but it is doable.
Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • North Dakota Lawn Mower Racing Association
« Reply #143 on: September 12, 2007, 08:57:42 pm »

Admittedly it took A LOT of tinkering, hammering, heating, and swearing to get it to work just right, but it is doable.

That is called fabricating! Especially in the presence of the wife!! :D

Offline LVine2001

• Turf Warrior
  • NA
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mownorth.com
« Reply #144 on: September 12, 2007, 09:35:10 pm »
Is anyone interested in a free mowers (I have 2 now)  like this one?
It's missing a mowing deck and the engine is gone otherwise it's all there and best of all ....free !!

Located in Minneapolis, Mn.

Lemme know.

Lee
Lee Vine - Immediate Past President
Minnesota Lawn Mower Racing Association (a USLMRA Local Chapter)
USLMRA #'s guy
USLMRA Regional AC Director
USLMRA US Open Co-Chairmen
www.stcroixchassis.webs.com

LetsMow.com
facebook.com/USLMRA