Author Topic: Panzer model A stocker build.  (Read 102837 times)

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Panzer model A stocker build.
« on: February 14, 2012, 05:07:23 pm »
I finally got my Panzer home. Started the tear down. It will have a 12hp kohler. 18hp cam, hd valve springs and a billet rod. Its a stocker. 4000rpm on the governor. It will retain all the original Panzer drive train. Chrysler rear end. Belt to a jackshaft to 50 chain down to the rear end. I'm eliminating the stock drum brakes and installing a single disk on the input of the rear axle. It will have douglas wheels on all 3 corners.  I'll post some teardown pics in a few.

Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline MowJoe

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Panzer model A stocker build.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 05:30:40 pm »
Dennis
Those things are sweet I really wish I didn't sell the one I had. Did you find this locally in the GR area?
Do you have the multi sheeve pulleys for it? Mine had a all oak custom built dash and I had a blade for the front and used it to plow the snow it worked awesome. Can't wait to see it finnished
J & K Yard & Sport, and used parts emporium.
Home of Mowjoe racing
Former President of the Barry County Grass Clippers
2010 Sportsman Points Winner W/ Grass Clippers
2011 Mod-x Points Winner W/ Grass Clippers

#55 JD 111 GPK
#05 AYP Gp
#67 Snapper Mod-x/CP 

When the green flag drops the Bull stops!

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 05:52:38 pm »
MowJoe I have all the parts for it. Allthough everything needs some tlc. This one was at a panzer collectors home. I found a pair of these in ohio and went in on the purchase with the other gentlemen. We got two model A's. A belly mower and a dozer blade and 4 period correct briggs engines. The one I have was in a barn for 30+ years. Mine was a 3 wheeler orginally but was converted to a 4 wheeler at the dealership it was sold at. I removed all the 4 wheeler components and am putting it back to a 3 wheeler. How ever I did not get the front tire "yoke" as its called. I am building one from plate steel to replace it. This one is a 1957. Being it was a 4 wheeler it was sold as a 205/210 model. It will be an "A" when finished.
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline saltyAMF

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 06:44:05 pm »
there was a 4 wheel one someone brought to the dump her in ct a couple weeks ago...  i aksed em if i could have it or buy it and they told me it was going to the crusher...
joshua "MEAT" coleman

ct g8/s4

2011 nelmra sp-b 2nd place

POWERED BY THE COMPLEX
2012 NELMRA B/P and C/P Champion
2012 ARMA NE NATS......SUPER SPORTSMAN  2nd and 3rd place feature finishes 1st time off the trailer!

special thanks to MY NELMRA GUYS, George Herrin, EC DISTRIBUTING, E3 spark plugs,and my wife for putting up with it all!

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 07:33:08 pm »
Dont let them cruseh it. There pretty rare if there large frame models.
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 04:28:07 pm »
Another shot. Waiting to take it to the sand blaster so I was toying around with the tires and wheels.

Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline BIG AL 202

• Highly Mowtivated
  • LET'S GO FIND A NEW PLACE TO RACE MOWERS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 01:43:44 pm »
Are you keeping it single front wheel? Looks cool!
ALWAYS VOTE FOR ED!   FONGS BROTHER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER!

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 05:14:55 pm »
Yes Al it will remain a three wheeler.
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline BIG AL 202

• Highly Mowtivated
  • LET'S GO FIND A NEW PLACE TO RACE MOWERS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 08:04:47 am »
COOL!
ALWAYS VOTE FOR ED!   FONGS BROTHER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER!

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 05:18:13 pm »
Alright got it back from the sand blaster. Need to get some primer on it. Got some welds to fix and some cracks to repair. No big deal though. Looks better then I thought it was going to. I'll put some pics up later.
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 07:05:45 pm »

Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 09:34:22 pm »
Got the hitch and rear weight bar built.
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 09:06:51 pm »
Allright more progress. I got the new yoke built for the front tire. I m useing a 15-6-6 ribed tire on a douglas 6-6 kart wheel up front.

Also got the gussets built to reinforce the rear axle welds at the frame. This is a very common place for the panzers to break. I used 1/4 plate.

Test fitting the kohler. Its a k301. It was an unmarked wide base ten horse block. Now has a new std 301 bore, billet kerber rod, stock valves set "deep". We cant port in this stock class. Stock kohler piston, precision cam with a stocker grind on it. Stock #30 carb. Lakota 4500rpm springs. Stock lp head. on the governor at 4000rpm.

The enging bolts into the stock holes with no mods. I also got the drive pulleys blasted and painted. Walnut shell blasted. There cast aluminum. Also got a new reverse rubber from Dandy sales. This tractor has no transmission. It uses a belt and different size sheaves on the pulleys. Reverse is sheave to reverser.
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 06:46:06 pm »
Well the panzer was sold. With the kids getting older and my daughter playing travel softball I just dont have the time to play with it. I did keep the boys stock clas puller. That one is simple to keep up. Just add gas. Its always in the top 3 at the club and him and I enjoy it. Well I enjoy watching him enjoy it. He is 10 now.
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline Flipper

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Panzer model A stocker build. Panzer History
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2014, 03:38:07 pm »
If anyone gives a hoot, the Co-Par Panzer started here in Maryland just down the street 1953....here's to poop!....
(Made in College Park Maryland & Laurel MD, used a Dodge Differential....read on)
I have been looking for one to restore, or possibly a Suburban Wheel Horse...

Panzer Tractors originated with an engineer named Jim Clark. Jim worked for a precision instrument
manufacturer named Ahrendt Instrument Company. Jim had just built a new house in the Washington
suburb of College Park Maryland and he rented a walk behind garden tractor to help him with the
landscaping. Landscaping with the walk behind proved to be more work than Jim thought it should be
and the tractor was not much help. Jim felt he could build a better product, so he talked to
farmers, gardeners and members of the Department of Agriculture at the University of Maryland and
with their help came up with a design. A proto-type was built in 1953, but was soon scrapped. Jim redesigned a
new model that featured a used narrowed Dodge or Plymouth automobile rear end, individual rear
brakes and a belt tightener/ reverse disc (Glidematic) drive system. These features remained as
features of the   Panzer throughout it existence. Jim’s boss became interested in the tractor and
thought it had sales potential so they formed a company called COPAR (short for College Park) to
manufacture the tractor. A contest among the employees of Ahrendt Instruments was held to name the
tractor and PANZER was the result. 1954 saw the start of production with about 350 tricycle Panzers
built at College Park. In 1955 COPAR moved to a refurbished plant in Laurel Maryland where it remained until 1960. Various
models were built at Laurel including 4 models of tricycle and 4 models of the 4-wheel version of
the tricycle. All featured 16” rear wheels and a 9hp Briggs and Stratton engine. Copar also introduced
a light 4-wheel garden tractor in 1958. It featured 12” rear wheels and either a 4HP Clinton or 5 ¾
HP Briggs and Stratton engine. All College Park and Laurel tractors were painted red/ yellow except
the first model (all red) and the last (turquoise). Less than 10,000 tractors were produced in
Laurel.
Copar experienced problems with both sales and financing and was sold to Virginia Metalcrafters
(VM) of Waynesboro Virginia in 1960. In 1961 VM redesigned the light tractor and eliminated the
larger tricycles and 4 wheelers. All Panzers produced after 1960 were painted turquoise and from 1961 to
1963 all grills just read PANZER. Sales, quality and the number of attachments increased
dramatically under VM ownership. Panzer became very competitive in the marketplace.
In 1963 VM purchased Pennsylvania Lawnmowers, one of the oldest manufacturers of lawnmowers in the
world. Pennsylvania Lawnmowers dates back to the 1870’s. The company was renamed Pennsylvania Lawn
Products in 1964 and the tractors were slightly redesigned and renamed as Pennsylvania Panzer.
1966 saw a major redesign to a square hooded model renamed the Pennsylvania Meteor. Early square
hoods featured increased horsepower, a wide seat and one of the first hydrostatic (automatic)
transmissions to be used on a small garden tractor. The price was just under $1000.00 for a tractor
with  no attachments. The Meteor with the hydrostatic transmission proved too expensive and so in
1968 the older belt tightener Glidematic drive returned, the name Meteor dropped and the Panzer
name returned. In 1970 Pennsylvania Products was sold to Schenuit Industries of Baltimore, Maryland. Schenuit also
owned Jackson Manufacturing (Jackson Wheelbarrow) and the company became the Pennsylvania
Products Division of Jackson Manufacturing. They also moved all production facilities to
Martinsburg, West Virginia. All Panzers were discontinued and the new company focused on sheet metal riders and
rotary walk behind mowers. In 1971 Schenuit Industries went bankrupt and Jackson Manufacturing was
sold in the settlement, but Pennsylvania Products was closed. Machinery in the Martinsburg plant
was sold to A.M.F. (Homko) and parts, foundry patterns, blueprints for all Pennsylvania and Panzer
products sold to a new company Dandy Sales, Inc. The actual number of Panzers built is unknown, but
almost certainly was under 50,000.
Flipper
Maryland Mafia Mower Racing Team (The Sod Father) President
Mason Dixon Lawn Mower Racing Association Chief Technical Director 2016, 2017
Mason Dixon Lawn Mower Racing Association Vice President 2018
2008 BP 1st Place Champion Delmarva LMRA
2008 2nd Place Champion Super Sportsman - Tri State LMRA
2009 Delmarva LMRA Presidents Award
2012 2nd Place Champion Super Sportsman North East National Division ARMA
2013, 2014, 2015 BP 1st Place Champion Mason Dixon LMRA
2013 Mod-XR 1st Place Champion Mason Dixon LMRA
2014, 2015, 2016, Mod-XR-T 1st Place Champion Mason Dixon LMRA & VLMRA