Author Topic: Any mower racing in California?  (Read 135713 times)

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
Any mower racing in California?
« on: December 19, 2006, 12:22:22 pm »
Hey folks,
I'm originally from NC, but I live in California now. I've been interested in getting into mower racing, but there doesn't seem to be any chapters out here ( guess since nobody can afford big yards out here, there just aren't many riding mowers) anyhow, that was question 1, which was if there are any chapters out here.
  Secondly, being new and all, I don't even have a mower yet. I've seen a lot of them for sale here and there in the 150-400 dollar range,which seems allright. Been thinking of using an old rear engine Ariens since they're lite and simple machines with good frames. Looks like in order to make a basic bare-bones racer, you just put a big pulley on the engine and a little one on the tranny. That and put on a better muffler. Any other tips? I'm all ears!
Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • North Dakota Lawn Mower Racing Association
Re: Any mower racing in California?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 12:30:23 pm »
Yeah put on BETTER BRAKES! Stopping is mandatory, goin fast is optional! The brakes on there, are not designed for the speeds you intend going.

Read this thread if you haven't already... http://www.heymow.com/index.php/topic,572.0.html

As for groups in California, there are a few guys around here that have expressed interest out there, not sure what parts of California they're in. There are a few groups in Oregon and Washington and I believe they have a few followers in Northern California. Try the G-Sources Page or the sort through the Yahoo Groups... That's about all I can tell you!

http://www.g-team.us/g-sources.htm
http://sports.dir.groups.yahoo.com/dir/Recreation___Sports/Sports/Auto_Racing/Lawn_Mower_Racing

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 12:34:09 pm »
Ya, I kind of figured that much. A few guys here and there, but nothing much. Thanks for the tips and stuff. I'd really like to build one of these, but if there aren't any other people involved, then that's sort of useless. We'll see...
Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 12:40:56 pm »
Well one of the guys was talking about trying to get a group together, don't know where he's at with that. Wouldn't hurt to sort through members and see how many are in California, and do a search and see what threads pop up, and follow up on a few of those. They may still be wandering around looking for others as well. 

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 12:49:39 pm »
I've had this idea for awhile. I live out near an abandoned military base turned over to the city. It is huge and has literally miles of flat concrete landing strips that are in perfect condition. The city uses it for events like showing movies in the summer. There is also a car show. I thought it would be cool to start drag-mower racing. Straight 1/2 mile to one mile races with racers going flat out as fast as possible. Again- there aren't many big yards here and frankly, being in the SF bay area, seems like everyone's too hip to even think of owning a mower. So it's more of an oxymoron. It'd be fun as heck to use that drag strip for something like this. I know the locals would get a kick out of it.
Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 01:18:38 pm »
That being the case you need to look at the National Drag Racing Lawn Mower Association and see what they might have out there in the area.

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 01:40:30 pm »
Looks like the same deal there- all the chapters in TX, NC, TN, AL, etc etc. One thing that I'll throw in that's sort of cool is that these landing strips I mentioned are very close to the Mythbuster's shop. They are on one of the hundreds of buildings on the base. Ever seen episodes where it looks like they're doing stuff on a landing strip? that's the landing strip near my house. Just imagine if one day they're out there filming or blowin stuff up and see 100 guys drag racing lawn mowers? bet they'd be blown away huh?
Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 01:43:15 pm »
Lawn Mowers doing 100 MPH next Episode!

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 01:51:26 pm »
exactly! Except if those guys got involved, they'd do something ridiculous, like strap a jet engine to a Murray. 100 people would be wishful thinking. It'd be more like 5 in reality. lame I guess but you have to start somewhere. Maybe I'll start a site and do some advertising and get some folks together out here.
Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing

Offline birdman_express

• I'm not fast...but man I can eat! INTEKS RULE THE PITS!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 02:04:39 pm »
Just build it, they will come. I have all kinds of people wanting to see my mower run.
I live in a small town, I think the first to have a fully planned USLMRA rules mower in the area.
The others are based on it. But the main thing is that they want to see how it runs when it
is built. I told them if it doesn't go 60 mph, I will fix it. They think I am joking. But that has
them interested. So just get something built, anything built..... safely built. They will come.
The redneck will come out... I got to get me one of those! LOL...
Marc Baker

ARC Dealer

Marc from ARC.... "Billet Billet"