Author Topic: Strange Kaw engine build  (Read 5409 times)

Offline kolb

• View Profile
Strange Kaw engine build
« on: October 28, 2011, 06:45:56 pm »
Newb here. Been lurking for a while. I have a KAF-540 OHV engine in a Kawasaki mule. This engine appears the same as a FC540 except that it has an integral gearbox and centrifugal belt drive. The engine has a pretty loud bottom end knock which I assume is either the rod, ballancer and post, or the smaller ballancer rods (or all of the above) :-).  I will be pulling the engine apart and rebuilding it, porting the head and having a cam ground.  I need some help picking cam specs, who to have port the head, what carb to use and any additional help or advise I can get. Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Offline The Tank

• Highly Mowtivated
  • #44 Tank Racing!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Kaw engine build
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 08:18:30 pm »
Thats definitely an interesting kawi engine never seen or heard of one. So do you plan on racing with the engine or what?
Frank "The Tank" Woods

AKA "The Intek Outlaw"

Offline kolb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 08:35:38 pm »
Racing? Not officially. My neighbor has a stock 620 mule that I'll be racing.  :woo:
The engine was discontinued by Kawasaki Motorcycle so they are NO help with parts even though the industrial side still makes parts for their motor. It's a weirdo engine for sure. Cylinder and trans case are one unit (large). Since Kaw doesn't support it, I thought some of the great minds in here might be able to give some advice on what has worked for them. From the hours of part number crossing I have done it appears to be the same rods, head, cam, crank as the industrial engine. I'll be building for torq (I guess?) as the mule is heavy and it has the belt drive like a snowmobile. I'll probably mod the govenor too.

Offline The Tank

• Highly Mowtivated
  • #44 Tank Racing!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 09:22:34 pm »
My honest opinion I would leave it internally stock for what you are doing. Another thing you got to think about is if the rest of the components that is combined to the engine can handle the added torque. If not that would get expensive quick.
Frank "The Tank" Woods

AKA "The Intek Outlaw"

Offline kolb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 10:14:36 pm »
I understand what you are saying but the rest of the drivetrain is pretty robust. Also, I'm not looking to triple the horsepower (17hp). I just wanted to do a little "clean up" while I have it apart. The exhaust has been changed out to a free-flowing unit and that helped. It doesn't like to start when cold and will "pop" through the exhaust which makes me think it's too lean or has an exhaust valve leaking. It runs ok once warmed up but the bottom end knock needs to be addressed. Hence the reason I was asking about any mods to do since-u-was-n-there.

Offline The Tank

• Highly Mowtivated
  • #44 Tank Racing!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 10:31:54 pm »
For cam I would recommend tim isky at small engine cams (Isky Cams). As far as the heads go i would just clean the ports a little. Only performance parts that i know of may be jayson mikula. Not completely sure but i think he has custom billet rods and maybe a flywheel.
Frank "The Tank" Woods

AKA "The Intek Outlaw"

Offline kolb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 01:03:41 am »
I sent an email to Isky and he said he could do the cam. Said he would make a profile of it and then ask what specs I wanted him to cut. There's where MY problem is. I don't know what specs to tell him to cut.  I figure he can probably come up with what he thinks is good using his experience. Any input from you guys that have had cams cut would be appreciated. Any input on a good carb?

Offline The Tank

• Highly Mowtivated
  • #44 Tank Racing!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 12:03:43 pm »
As far as specs for a custom cam in this engine Id be lost lol. Ive never built one of these for racing but have worked on many stock engines. As far as carbs the older mikuni 2 barrel carbs were the best in my opinion because they had more adjustment on them. The newer nikki carbs can be made to work also but a carb builder would have to rework it. The mikuni carbs cost alot more than the nikki carbs. I would just have whichever is on the engine reworked.
Frank "The Tank" Woods

AKA "The Intek Outlaw"

Offline Caudy155

• Turf Warrior
  • Chad Caudy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 12:42:42 pm »
Id just rejet the mikuni unit on the 17 go to google type in mukuni carb jet kit you will find more stuff than you can imagine just buy jets that are close to what's in it now either up or down sizes and you will be golden...
There's somethin' in the works...

Offline kolb

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 01:17:59 pm »
Great info guys! I appreciate it. Had thought about having the cam reground slightly "advanced" to add a little more bottom end. Maybe I should just adjust/remove the govenor and call it good. This thing is so big I hate to pull it out more than necessary. Lol

Offline Ron Atchison/A.C.E. Race Engines

• Turf Warrior
  • A.C.E. race engines
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 11:19:30 am »
You know you are on the right track to pick-up power by wanting to port the head with cam and carb mods, those 3 items can contribute to major hp gains on any 4 stroke engine! Cylinder head prep is one of the most important details to a good performing engine. A lot of potential can be gained and lost by having a great prepared or a poorly prepared head. Most heads have a lot of potential left on the table left with the "off the shelf" factory set-up. With basic port work and, a good valve job the hp/tq gains can be quite impressive generally with no other mods. The cam plays a very important role also, again major improvements can be gained by choosing the right grind. Now to the carb, since you have made the engine much more efficient with it's mods to the head and the cam, it will be necessary to correctly set the carb. The minimum basics would be correct jetting for w.o.t. , mid and idle, these are an absolute necessity with most any engine modifications. All these mods should be built around your intentions for the machine, whether it's for trail, drag racing, pulling, etc, they all have different requirements. Make sure whomever provide the work and parts they know what your needs are. I offer complete custom head work, cam grinds, carb mods and any major engine work. pm me if interested.   -Good luck!  

-Ron.
home of A.C.E. the race engines
\"building winning race engines..one at a time\"
ronatchison@live.com  FB>Ace Racing and Performance.

Offline kolb

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 10:54:32 pm »
Ron - you have a PM