Author Topic: head shaving  (Read 3507 times)

Offline brianww1960

• View Profile
head shaving
« on: December 04, 2006, 08:09:00 pm »
i have a 40 cid intek. i was wondering if i could just shave the heads and run the rest of the engine completely stock. would there be any issues or problems in doing this? if there are no problems in doing this, how much would you recommend to shave off the heads? thank for any feedback.

Offline DarkNyte

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: head shaving
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 10:41:58 pm »
Give Don at G-Team  a shout...He Makes alot of performance parts for the inteks..

Offline 64Vair

• View Profile
Re: head shaving
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 02:50:21 am »
What CR are you looking for?  If you are running the stock cam, (VERY short), I would not cut more than to remove the step from the quench area.  If you are running a big cam, you may be able to cut more, (more CR), but would need to check valve to piston clearance.  With the stock cam, I doubt that would be an issue, (there is a lot of room there).  I would also open up the chamber around the valves by the cylinder walls.  I would make it so the chamber was flush with the cylinder walls right by the valves.  I know this will reduce the CR, but it adds air flow.  You can also make it a compound radius, not only matching the radius of the cylinder wall, but also making a radius from the chamber roof to the deck surface.  This will give the least reduction in CR, and the most improvement in air flow. 
Don't forget to check your pushrod length when you are done.  Cutting the heads will make the pushrods too long, and throw off valve train geometry.
Tom

anything