heymow.com - Lawn Mower Racing Forum
July 26, 2014, 12:05:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Want to Join our site? CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar Staff List Links Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: building a hauler.  (Read 11820 times)
gtpuller
Turf Warrior

View Profile
« on: June 12, 2011, 07:49:35 PM »

I've been working on a hauler started out as a 4x8 open trailer improving my welding skills as I go along. Unfortunately my other project on here is on the back burner. Anyway I need somewhere to store my tractor when it is finished.

Tim Johnson
Wheelhorseracer
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 07:57:14 PM »

Are you gonna just paint it? When I made my enclosed and made the roof with a small arch so that water doesn't sit.. just a small one..

Then I painted the roof with asphalt sealer used on driveways.. never had a leak.

gtpuller
Turf Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 08:35:46 PM »

I'm gonna cover it with .024 aluminum skin and am gonna add an arch to the roof. It just made more sense to me to add that to the roof framework rather than build it in. BTW I think that I have a source for the skin but anyone know any good deals on it.

ASCS sprint cars last night at Lonestar speedway, Kilgore Texas Good Times!

Tim Johnson
heymow.com - Lawn Mower Racing Forum
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 08:35:46 PM »

Rooster
Global Pot Stirrer
Highly Mowtivated

Winning is always fair!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 11:17:07 AM »

I would really suggest a "V" nose or even one of those trailer bubble's on the front. We have been pulling a small flat front trailer and it will kill your fuel mileage!
Especially with that long tongue you have there you are really sticking that thing out in the wind!

Bert stole my cookies!!
 I think he used them to bribe Ed into something naughty?

http://www.cutlooseracing.com
gtpuller
Turf Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 07:33:28 PM »

I would really suggest a "V" nose or even one of those trailer bubble's on the front. We have been pulling a small flat front trailer and it will kill your fuel mileage!
Especially with that long tongue you have there you are really sticking that thing out in the wind!

Good idea I will check into a bubble or fab something up out of sheet aluminum to add a bit of aerodynamics.

Tim Johnson
gtpuller
Turf Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 11:12:22 PM »

So i'm gonna make the back door of the trailer a ramp. I'ts basically 4x6 using 3/4 pressure treated plywood. Is 1 1/4 x 1 1/4 x 1/4 steel angle heavy enough for the basic framework. I have never noticed how these doors are constructed so I have nothing to base my design on. Anybody have a trailer with a back door ramp? If so could you post a pic?

Thanks

Tim Johnson
wulfy01
Turf Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 06:14:02 AM »

That should be heavy enough.  Just make sure you space them 12 to 16 inches apart or so to support the weight.  I assume that the plywood is on the interior? Put one leg of the angle flat on the plywood in my opinion.

Justin Wulf
SP #w01
Wheelhorseracer
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 07:34:40 AM »

I have been thinking of making a new hauler too.. I've been looking at the teardrop design that many rigs use in the UK and Europe. It is suppose to improve air mileage dramatically.

BIG AL 202
Highly Mowtivated

Fong's brother from another mother

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 11:48:05 AM »

That hauler should hold all you will ever need!   twothumbsup

I MY BE FAT AND SLOW BUT JUST WATCH ME GO!   ALWAYS HAVE FUN!                                             NO MORE DIRT DEVILS, BUMMER.
2budzracing
Turf Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 12:34:18 PM »

I just picked up a 25' travel trailer 2 axle.Gonna gut it, re- skin the inside put a drop down gate on it and lights all over.It has a roof top a/c unit and good windows, thinking about makeing it into a double deck inside that will double as bunks.mount the generator where the prop tanks where and done......stole it for $60 four tires and the tags are new....

President of the Anza Mowtivated Hillbillys
President of the PCLMRA (Pacific Coast Lawn Mower Racing Association)
Owner 2 BUDZ RACING #16 #26 #36 #46
West Coast Regional Director USLMRA
BIG AL 202
Highly Mowtivated

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 03:37:45 PM »

NOW THATS A GREAT IDEA! Good thinking,and what a way to recycle a used up camper. Most of the time nobody wants them and are hard to get rid of.

I MY BE FAT AND SLOW BUT JUST WATCH ME GO!   ALWAYS HAVE FUN!                                             NO MORE DIRT DEVILS, BUMMER.
2budzracing
Turf Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 07:58:31 PM »

then you can register it as an rv too...I think once it is gutted it wont weigh much because real thin walls and all aluminum.gonna make the same gate out af angle and plywood old bed frames work perfect the are light and super strong.makeing mine with top and sides doubled so it creates a 't' piece that will serve as the door seal 3 runners in the middle.gonna do the same to an old minne winne I got and make it into the "mowtow home".

BIG AL 202
Highly Mowtivated

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 08:07:17 PM »

Sounds like a plan! You know- there's probably alot of thinking going on now. lol

Wheelhorseracer
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 08:25:39 PM »

My frame came from an old pop up that we used in the mid 1970's... gutted it and it's gets you most of the stuff you need to start a build. I made a new axle with Chrysler mini-van ends welded onto a tube for the axle. The Camper axle couldn't hold up the weight.
2budzracing
Turf Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 09:01:07 PM »

hence the beauty of the trailer axles ,I should be able to get 6 on each level with room for toolboxes etc.Plus it has brakes !

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: