Author Topic: broken bolt removal  (Read 3724 times)

Offline TeamScoot

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
broken bolt removal
« on: May 26, 2011, 06:47:58 pm »
The passenger side manifold on my 87 ford ranger broke yesterday, and while trying to remove it, a bolt broke off in the block, anyone have any good tips on how to get it out short of pulling the motor out? i dont know if its possible without pulling the motor tho, its in a pretty tight place and i dont really think i can get a drill in there.
Founder of MoKart Industries
Inter Mountain Innovations
67 huffy
MHLMR

Offline Burwell555

• Hot Rod Hitman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Re: broken bolt removal
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 06:58:42 pm »
Use a 90 degree adapter or get an air drill. Their quite compact. Drill the center of the bolt, and use an easy out. You might have to heat the bolt and hole first after drilling but before using the easy out
Zach Burwell
#555 of Triple Nickel Racing

Wanna know a quick way to lose 8 pounds?!

Offline redline

• # I BROKE IT
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 09:31:28 pm »
Take a 1/2" or larger nut, maybe even a 5/8" one if you have it. Center it over the broken bolt/hole, and weld it to the broken bolt through the inside of the nut. I do this all the time on the gen III GM engines that like to break manifold bolts, and of course it's always at the #7 cylinder, where you could not drill if you wanted too. Let it cool until the nut you welded on is no longer red, and then slowly try to turn it out. You may need to weld to it a few times before you get it to stick. If the broken bolt is recessed, weld that up first, so that it slightly extends beyond the hole. Obviously you need a wire feed to do this.
Ed King

71.3% of the time, I'm right every time.

/>http://www.youtube.com/user/tawdew

Offline trbinrat

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 12:21:38 am »
I second what redline said
Mark
#33 SP   Kawi power

http://www.mpmowersports.com/

If you run with the heard you will never see the edge of the cliff
Racing lawn mowers is not cheap just cheaper.

Offline TeamScoot

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 03:13:31 am »
thats the direction i was leaning towards. ill giver a shot in the morning. thanks for the tip
67 huffy
MHLMR

Offline cycloneracer

• Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 08:52:10 am »
Take a 1/2" or larger nut, maybe even a 5/8" one if you have it. Center it over the broken bolt/hole, and weld it to the broken bolt through the inside of the nut. I do this all the time on the gen III GM engines that like to break manifold bolts, and of course it's always at the #7 cylinder, where you could not drill if you wanted too. Let it cool until the nut you welded on is no longer red, and then slowly try to turn it out. You may need to weld to it a few times before you get it to stick. If the broken bolt is recessed, weld that up first, so that it slightly extends beyond the hole. Obviously you need a wire feed to do this.

We do this all the time when we break something off on our machinery.  Works so well we have quit the drilling and using an easy out.  Just be paitinet as you may need to weld it a few times before it comes out.

Paul

Paul Krueger

****2017 USLMRA FXT points Champion****

#150 Worlds First "sidewinder" FX (now dismantled)

#150 FXT  Sponsored by Zach Kerber Machine. http://zkbrmachine.com/

Easy Parcheesy Racing

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 08:54:15 am »

ditto
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline TomL

• Mr. Modest
  • Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 05:39:22 pm »
Weld a washer to the broken stud/bolt then weld the nut to the washer.

Way easier to weld and much stronger.

Tom
Tom Lavalette
Ask me about the PA MiniPro Racing Mowers
toms580@yahoo.com
Columbia, PA

Offline Jay19LM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 09:00:15 pm »
Your local muffler shop could probably remove it. They deal with that problem. A friend of mine owned a muffler shop and he showed me how they do it. If its a cast iron head, you heat the bolt up and blow it out with a oxy/actelyene torch. He made it look easy. I never tried it though   

Offline TeamScoot

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 11:25:01 pm »
take it to a muffler shop... HA.

all 6 bolts broke off. I ended up making an alignment plate out of half inch steel and bolting it to the head using some other tapped holes on the top of it. started with 1/8 inch and moved up to 5/16, and then tapped em all 3/8, modifying the drill jig each time to ensure straightness. worked perfect.

thanks all for the suggestions, there was no way these were coming out with just welding a nut on tho.
67 huffy
MHLMR