Author Topic: Peerless transmission  (Read 21581 times)

Offline element10554

• View Profile
Peerless transmission
« on: April 18, 2011, 09:57:54 pm »
Hey guys I am new to the forum and I have read through a couple of these threads pertaining to this topic as well as skimmed the manual. I am wondering how much power these transmissions hold up to? I have a gokart I would like to put this on, and I was wondering also how durable they are. Ive seen a lot about the 700 series which appears to be getting good reviews from you guys.

The numbers on my transmission come as followed: MOD 797   PEERLESS       0040 1034

This leads me to believe I have the 700 series. I obtained this transmission from craigslist for 20$. I have never worked with a transmission before and I am assuming I should inspect it before fabricating it onto my kart. I saw there was a thread for opening it up and cleaning the inside but because my knowledge on these is so minuscule I am afraid I wont be able to put it back together correctly. Should I attempt opening it up and cleaning it or should I just see how it works? Also if I were looking for an engine what shaft should the engine have that would mate up with this transmission?

I was also reading about taking out the reverse gear because it could fall apart and damage the transmission. I mainly want this on my go kart to have alot of torque for offroad and have a decent topend. I will not be slamming through gears or anything of that. Should I still take out my reverse chain? It would be great if I could keep it in there as reverse would be a great feature to have. Anyway to reinforce the chain?

Thanks for the help in advance guys.

Mike

Offline BigChuck

• Turf Warrior
  • Big Idea Racing
    • View Profile
Re: Peerless transmission
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 10:04:49 pm »
So many questions>>>>>>>>>>>>  For starters, 20 bucks isn't a bad price in my book... Next, all the information you seek is in the threads  here somewhere. Happy hunting..
Big Chuck

Offline Tony Loveless

• Turf Warrior
  • Tony Loveless Racing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 10:22:25 pm »
We are putting 60hp and over to these things but they are race prepped with steel gears.  They will hold up pretty decent but they have their limits and will break.  You are going to need to pull the top of the case off and clean all the gunk out of the inside and give it a good looking over.  There are threads on here that tell you exactly what all to do.  After you get that done you are going to want to fill it with a good heavy gear oil.  Put around 8 oz. in it.  And on the subject of your engine shaft,  I would say that it doesn't matter.  Just get a pulley or sprocket (depending on what you are planning on using) to match the engine shaft.  Maybe I answered some of your questions lol.
B/p #33t
L & M Racing
Loveless Racing Engines
Domownator Chassis
2009 ARLMRA B/P Champion
2009 ARLMRA A/P Champion
2010 ARLMRA B/P Champion
2012 ARLMRA B/P Champion
WWW.Facebook.com/tonyloveless33t
http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/arlmra/

Offline element10554

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 10:50:00 pm »
We are putting 60hp and over to these things but they are race prepped with steel gears.  They will hold up pretty decent but they have their limits and will break.  You are going to need to pull the top of the case off and clean all the gunk out of the inside and give it a good looking over.  There are threads on here that tell you exactly what all to do.  After you get that done you are going to want to fill it with a good heavy gear oil.  Put around 8 oz. in it.  And on the subject of your engine shaft,  I would say that it doesn't matter.  Just get a pulley or sprocket (depending on what you are planning on using) to match the engine shaft.  Maybe I answered some of your questions lol.

Oh sweet thats alot of power I guess if I run a 15hp or so engine then it should last a pretty long time. Yea I wasnt sure if I should open it up or not being as I am extremely new at this. My understanding of the transmission was that the engine shaft went into the transmission and spun a drive. ( I thought this because I have never seen one even hooked up) You say to get a pully or a sprocket to match my engine shaft? I am not quite sure what you mean by that. I believe I have to go take a closer look and properly figure out how this transmission works.

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Winning is always fair!!
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 03:59:00 am »
The 700 will not hold up to off road applications. The jarring from jumps and bumps will kill it!
You need a 350 or 400 if you want to use a lawn mower tranny, I would look for a m/c tranny , even better.
Bert stole my cookies!!
 I think he used them to bribe Ed into something naughty?

http://www.cutlooseracing.com

Offline element10554

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 05:08:40 pm »
Is there anyway to make it hold up to off road? What are the issues it will run into?

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 05:09:40 pm »
It will break
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 05:27:00 pm »
Is there anyway to make it hold up to off road?

The 700 will not hold up to off road applications.

What are the issues it will run into?

The jarring from jumps and bumps will kill it!

you will have a pile of broken gears.
Bert stole my cookies!!

Offline element10554

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 07:16:19 pm »
So basically I should make this as a flat surface asphalt and grassy areas only. Or should I just get rid of it?

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 08:03:59 pm »
Asphalt will hurt them too, lol! not saying an occaisional trip on the asphalt would definitely destroy them...but it can!
With what you have planned, my advice would be to sell it and try to find something different.
For our specific use they work pretty well, but we pretty much take them to their max, much more than what we do and they don't fare well. Sometimes they don't even fare well for us! I ran all last season, 30+ races, without a single tranny problem. This year I built more engine and I have destroyed 3 of them!
You are stepping into seldom tread territory. Their are some all terrain guys out their, but that is not what this site is about so you won't get much advice here on that. Not because we are snuffing you, simply because we do not have the advice to give!

There are some Transaxles that put up to more abuse than the 700 will, I couldn't tell you which ones exactly. The 350 & 400 transmissions are quite a bit beefier as well.

Bert stole my cookies!!

Offline element10554

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 09:18:12 pm »
Its not that I dont believe you guys Its just that I belong to diygokarts and they have this write up specifically saying to use a 700series peerless and in no part of it does it say it wont last.http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4766&highlight=peerless+transmission
 :confused:

Offline birdman_express

• I'm not fast...but man I can eat! INTEKS RULE THE PITS!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 09:24:14 pm »
Why are you here, if the kart site has what you need?
Marc Baker

ARC Dealer

Marc from ARC.... "Billet Billet"