Author Topic: Crank trigger from Midwest  (Read 11607 times)

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Crank trigger from Midwest
« on: March 21, 2011, 07:23:31 pm »
This isnt a post for reviews but just so you the reader have a comparison on what I have seen.

I just got done installing the crank trigger from midwest on our open vtwin pulling engine. I can honestly say just from the sound of the engine and the way it runs now compared to the way it ran with stock coils there is a night and day difference. It starts better, throttle response is crisper. Engine is just plain louder in the exhaust note than ever before. It hurts my ears and never did before. We used the complete kit from midwest with the flywheel and bosch blue coils. Its a little tricky to time. The magnet ring has no forgivenness when adjusting it while using a timing light with the engine off. Its kind of a painn to get just right. Other than that if the mower racer guys could hide the dyna coils under the flywheel tin and you could hide the crank trigger plate under the engine pulley on a vertical kohler I would highly recommend it. Last year when starting the pull it would free rev 75-7700 before letting the clutch out. With the crank trigger and a test sled it will rev 84-8600rpm before letting the clutch out. It picked up an honest 800rpm just by changing the ign. I knew it would make a difference but not like that. All in all a good improvement. The timing stays steady as well when watching with a timing light.

Dennis
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline GRUBDIGGER

• Custom Gear Picker
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Crank trigger from Midwest
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 07:52:29 pm »
under arma rules,ok to use. no hiding required.
JOHN HERRING
ARMA TECH
TRI-STATE RACING MOWER ASSC.
http://wwwtsrm.smfforfree.com/

Offline Huffy044

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 09:42:44 pm »
Dennis, how about a company so I can check them out, all I am seeing is "Midwest"
VLMRA Singles Points Champion 2006
VLMRA Mini Champion 2007
VLMRA Sportsman Champion 2007
VLMRA Pro-X Champion 2008, 2009
ARMA Sportsman of the Year 2008
ARMA South East Region Mini 2009, 2010, 2011,2012
ARMA National Champion Mini 2009, 2010, 2011,2012, 2013
Maxton NC Model A Record Holder 118.54
VGMR 1932 Model A roadster world record 165.8

Offline Toadworks

• HEYMOW Welcome Wagon
  • Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 09:46:50 pm »

Offline tsmith1499

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 09:48:29 pm »
When it comes to pulling I am pretty sure he is talking about Midwest Super Cub. www.midwestsupercub.net
Tom Smith
Mount Airy, MD.
L130 Work In Progress

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 10:25:10 pm »
Yes midwest super cub.
The reason that lead us to try the crank trigger was the fouling of plugs. We installed a new set of plugs every pull. The engine started hard, liked spark plugs and would flatten out at the top of the rpm band. We thought 7500 is all it would turn. We were suprised when we picked up the rpm we did on the top end. The engine had new stock coils when it was assembled. The stock coils throw a very wirey spark. The bosch coils are HOT. Really nice blue spark now. I talked with Julian at midwest and gave him the combination of parts and head flow numbers. Its is over 12-1 compression and has a 600 lift cam. Really good flowing heads and big 1.200 carb from midwest. He said with the stock coils we were short changing the engine. Sure enough with the crank trigger its a whole new animal.
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline scoot8801

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 10:40:15 pm »
just wondering what if any real difference there is between their billet flywheel and the one arc sells or if it can even legally be used?

Offline Burton for Certain

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 11:29:59 pm »
the midwest billet steel flywheel is designed for pulling and will help with torque.  Theres no acceleration in tractor pulling other than the "recovery" from taking off and generally the tracks are long enough that it isn't an issue. 
Drew Burton #19 FXS/FXT
Midwest Super Cub Racing

Nichols Performance Inc. For the tractor pulling
"Bad Company" PS/SS
"Triple Play" Open Super Stock Diesel

Small Engines Of Seymour High Performance Camshafts (Greg Hackman) 8125225577

Offline Toadworks

• HEYMOW Welcome Wagon
  • Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 08:41:52 am »
He meant the aluminum Lawn Mower Racing flywheel. You wouldn't want a 20 lbs steel flywheel on a circle track engine, you'd NEVER slow down to make a turn. But to answer the questions, legal? Pretty sure it would be. Difference? I dunno, the SFI rated design? Maybe? My buddy Case Racer has a Midwest Super Cub circle track racing mower, maybe he knows the difference?

Offline Caseracer

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 09:26:22 am »
As far as I know, ARC doesn't make a Kohler Command Flywheel.  Midwest makes two different Aluminum wheels for racing.  One has no cooling fins and the other has slots machined in it to provide cooling.  They also make a billet magnet for them that is supposed to make a hotter spark.  I have the Midwest wheel with the billet magnet and the old style "non-Smart Spark" coils.  I have a big inch motor and don't try to spin it anymore than 8000.

Jack Jones
Hard Case Racing
Shakin' by a Roller Kohler

Offline royalblu68f100

• Mow-Forum Junkie
  • Cartwheels are a helluva ride if you can hold on!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 12:34:48 pm »
Don't try to spin it more than 8000!!!!!?????  Maybe one day I too will be able to do this!!!!
You never win a race by focusing on one aspect of the race!  Motor isn't everything, but you better have a good one!  Chassis too!  But remember, a driver can take a slow machine and make it faster!  I may not have/be the best of any of these but I'm trying!
Chris Cox- CP/Mod X, AP
2016 ALL AMERICAN CP/Mod X Champion
2015 USLMRA AP Champion
2014 USLMRA AP Runner Up
2013 USLMRA AP Champion
2012 SRUSAAO ModX/CP Champion
2012 USLMRA CP Champion
2012 US Open AP Champion
2011 SRUSAAO MOD-X/CP Champion
2011 USLMRA FX Points Runner up
2011 GALMRA CP Points Champion

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 01:50:22 pm »
Nothin sounds better then a big cid vtwin kohler singing 8500rpm.
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline Caseracer

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 03:06:36 pm »
The factory heads are the issue.  There is a difference in making rpm's for power vs making rpm's for noise.  IF we were allowed to use the aftermarket heads we could turn alot higher but the factory heads were not meant to feed 52 inches at 10,000.    :woo:

Jack Jones
Hard Case Racing

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 05:06:16 pm »
Ours runs good at 8000rpm. Likes to pull there while hooked to the sled. Has a good power band as well. Lots of torque when the rpms drop but we have never been on a track where we have lost more then 12-1500rpm. But the way a pulling engine is used compared to a racer engine is different. We are running the stock heads Jack but they have been highly worked over. Ports are in stock locations per the rules. They flow very well. Ours is 45cid. We have a 375R 260 vogel roller cam. It works very well.

How does your kohler run Jack? Have you been able to race it much. Probably has more torque than you can put down.
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline Caseracer

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 06:01:16 pm »
I haven't got to race it as much as I would like.  I have a bad lower back and my Doctor is worried about doing more damage.  I spent alot time on the heads too.  I'm running the Midwest Pro Alt roller cam.  It is about a .590 lift but I don't have the duration numbers with me.  It has the 3.307 bore with a 3" billet stroker crank.  I pulls very strong from about 3500 thru 8000.  It is a torque monster so on a nice sticky red clay track it is a blast off the corners.  If the bite's not there,  it will spin the tires off all the way down the straight.

Jack Jones
Hard Case Racing