Author Topic: I need some clarification on rules.  (Read 3639 times)

Offline tsmith1499

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
I need some clarification on rules.
« on: March 16, 2011, 10:59:33 pm »
I am looking at building my first lawnmower racer and I plan on doing the whole kart axle setup with brake and 700 trans. My questions are more about the rules about wheelbase and mower decks.  I am planning on building for the super stock class to start. Since I work at a John Deere dealer I was looking at using one of the L series as a starting point. 2 questions
1) Rule says full size lawnmower with 39" wheelbase. Does this mean I can use a mower that has a longer wheelbase?  The way I read it it does. I just want to be sure before I start.

2) Rule says mower must have steel factory deck. I have seen a lot of SS mowers that look as though they have used the outside radius of the deck and not the whole deck. Am I correct in thinking I do NOT need the entire deck under the mower?   

I am just trying to get an idea BEFORE i spend time and money just to find out what I interpreted was wrong.   Trying to get to the race at Budds Creek the first of April.    Thanks, Tom
Tom Smith
Mount Airy, MD.
L130 Work In Progress

Offline Huffy044

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: I need some clarification on rules.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 11:03:48 pm »
Tom, yes to the wheelbase, to the deck question, I'm not sure, why not go to the web site for Us or ARMA? Super Stock is a little different than a prepared machine.
VLMRA Singles Points Champion 2006
VLMRA Mini Champion 2007
VLMRA Sportsman Champion 2007
VLMRA Pro-X Champion 2008, 2009
ARMA Sportsman of the Year 2008
ARMA South East Region Mini 2009, 2010, 2011,2012
ARMA National Champion Mini 2009, 2010, 2011,2012, 2013
Maxton NC Model A Record Holder 118.54
VGMR 1932 Model A roadster world record 165.8

Offline tsmith1499

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 11:13:57 pm »
I have the rules printed out and have read them over 3-4 times and all it says is "mowers must have steel factory decks".
I did a search to find others nuilds on SS and they all "appear" to have what I would call a simulated deck on them. Although I could be wrong, I often am.  Thanks for the reply.   Tom
Tom Smith
Mount Airy, MD.
L130 Work In Progress

Offline Huffy044

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 11:35:51 pm »
I went to the ARMA site and looked also, the only class that really holds to stock outward appearence is Stock. The SS class was suposed to be a class where where you got your feet wet, learned how to drive and then you could replace the engine with one "Built Up", change the ratio and move up in classes. I would say a partical deck would be ok. I'm sure our tech inspect will chime in when he wakes up.

I'm on night shift.
VLMRA Singles Points Champion 2006
VLMRA Mini Champion 2007
VLMRA Sportsman Champion 2007
VLMRA Pro-X Champion 2008, 2009
ARMA Sportsman of the Year 2008
ARMA South East Region Mini 2009, 2010, 2011,2012
ARMA National Champion Mini 2009, 2010, 2011,2012, 2013
Maxton NC Model A Record Holder 118.54
VGMR 1932 Model A roadster world record 165.8

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 12:48:59 am »
Yes you can only use a part of the actaul deck the chassis build is no different than any other prepared chassis build. Look in the build section under the one for my sons with a 820 build it gives a great example of how to do the deck or even my 07 build.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline tsmith1499

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 08:36:43 am »
Thanks everyone.  I also saw a section in the "General" rules.

7. General Mower Specifications- Modified Classes (All classes except Stock)

b. Cutting decks must be securely mounted in near stock location. Only Pro-X and Super Modified mowers may simulate a cutting deck. Decks may extend beyond the tire sidewalls a maximum of 2”. Decks must be as wide as the body edge or running boards whichever is wider

After looking at a bunch of mower builds I guess I considered what some people use as a "mowing deck" is actually "simulated", at least in my eyes.  Because it's not the entire deck, but 2 pieces attached on each side of the fenderdecks.  That's where my confusion came in.   The rules "appear" to contradict each other.    Thanks, Tom
Tom Smith
Mount Airy, MD.
L130 Work In Progress

Offline royalblu68f100

• Mow-Forum Junkie
  • Cartwheels are a helluva ride if you can hold on!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 09:15:18 am »
Just cut the deck into two smaller pieces.  There will be very few groups to ever give you an issue.  If you plan to lower your mower you will need to remove the deck anyway to get the required ground clearance on the deck and the frame.
You never win a race by focusing on one aspect of the race!  Motor isn't everything, but you better have a good one!  Chassis too!  But remember, a driver can take a slow machine and make it faster!  I may not have/be the best of any of these but I'm trying!
Chris Cox- CP/Mod X, AP
2016 ALL AMERICAN CP/Mod X Champion
2015 USLMRA AP Champion
2014 USLMRA AP Runner Up
2013 USLMRA AP Champion
2012 SRUSAAO ModX/CP Champion
2012 USLMRA CP Champion
2012 US Open AP Champion
2011 SRUSAAO MOD-X/CP Champion
2011 USLMRA FX Points Runner up
2011 GALMRA CP Points Champion

Offline Toadworks

• HEYMOW Welcome Wagon
  • Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 09:46:46 am »
Actually both major groups have similar wording for mowing decks. I think the rules should be re-written to reflect the "accepted norm". If you read the words as written every class except the FX and Super Mods should have a full, complete factory deck, but it is widely accepted to use portions of the deck and simulate the appearance. I too had difficulty understanding what was written and what was accepted when I started out. So ARMA, USLMRA next time you are editing your rulebooks, take a look at the deck section.
Thanks.

Offline tsmith1499

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 10:52:28 am »
That was exactly my thought. One section says one thing and another section says something else.  That is one of the reasons I copied and pasted the general rule for decks directly out of the ARMA rulebook for 2011.  If you want to get confused on rules, try reading the NHRA rulebook for class racing one time. THAT will make your head spin.
Tom Smith
Mount Airy, MD.
L130 Work In Progress

Offline 2budzracing

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 11:28:33 am »
funny you mentioned NHRA they used to come to my shop when it was time to try and change the rules for more safety,and yes there are vague also.Take a good look at other mowers that compete on the national level and that will give you a good idea.sure am glad I don't build pro-street cars anymore....:)
President of the Anza Mowtivated Hillbillys
President of the PCLMRA (Pacific Coast Lawn Mower Racing Association)
Owner 2 BUDZ RACING #16 #26 #36 #46
West Coast Regional Director USLMRA

anything