Author Topic: Mig Welder  (Read 9572 times)

Offline Huffy044

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Mig Welder
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2011, 08:30:07 pm »
If some of you want to increase your duty cycle, here's what i did. I cut a 4" hole over top of the main body on my Daytona Pocket mig and installed a fan out of a motor control center (most any fan will work). I went from a 10 minute duty cycle to now 45 minutes later the handle is so hot I have to put it down. Easy fix, I just wired the fan with a toggle switch to the 110 input.
VLMRA Singles Points Champion 2006
VLMRA Mini Champion 2007
VLMRA Sportsman Champion 2007
VLMRA Pro-X Champion 2008, 2009
ARMA Sportsman of the Year 2008
ARMA South East Region Mini 2009, 2010, 2011,2012
ARMA National Champion Mini 2009, 2010, 2011,2012, 2013
Maxton NC Model A Record Holder 118.54
VGMR 1932 Model A roadster world record 165.8

Offline Tony Loveless

• Turf Warrior
  • Tony Loveless Racing
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2011, 08:44:29 pm »
I have a Clarke 110v.  Don't have any complaints out of it.  I use gas though as I did not like the fluxcore. Does great for everything I use it for and the team also uses it and let me tell you it gets a workout.
B/p #33t
L & M Racing
Loveless Racing Engines
Domownator Chassis
2009 ARLMRA B/P Champion
2009 ARLMRA A/P Champion
2010 ARLMRA B/P Champion
2012 ARLMRA B/P Champion
WWW.Facebook.com/tonyloveless33t
http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/arlmra/

Offline racingjohndeere55

• Assistant Pot Stirrer
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
  • I thought it was funny
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 09:27:53 pm »
My Millermatic 250 works just fine. Cource not everyone can shell out the $4000 for this fine piece of equipment. But if you can it is certainly the way to go  :D

Offline Burwell555

• Hot Rod Hitman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2011, 09:51:11 pm »
Howie I agree totally. A big blue box is the only way to fly!
Zach Burwell
#555 of Triple Nickel Racing

Wanna know a quick way to lose 8 pounds?!

Offline pepper

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2011, 10:03:08 pm »
I am a professional welder and have had many brands thru the years.Don't worry about brand worry about duty cycle and amps of out put.I currently have a harbour freight that is 220 volt and 250amp out put.It will weld heads up with anthing.I use it all the time in my business and it gets a real work out and keeps up.I use gas even when i use flux wire.You need all the cleaning you can get when you are welding dirty ,painted,oil soaked,things together.Keep your tip clean and free of splatter.Use splatter spray in the nozzle.spray splater spray on areas around weld that you don't want splatter to stick to.I wrap electric tape around important things that you can't get splatter on.Like bearing journals.With mig your wire must touch both pieces of metal that you are putting together.You can not just drag it down the middle like you do stick.You have to use a back and forth motion.If you don't you welds will look good but will be weak and not pentrated.
Dan Forgue

Offline dicky43d

• Turf Warrior
  • Tumbleweed Racing
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2011, 10:26:53 pm »
Hobart 140 thumbs up ! 

go to www.NorthernTool.com Hobart 140 $499.99 free shipping

Offline wulfy01

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2011, 07:38:57 am »

I agree with Howie. Ya can't beat the power of blue.  I got my 250x for under 2 grand when somebody traded up at my local welders supply.  In my professional opinion, if your worried about duty cycle being to low, the welder is probably to small.  If the Millers are to expensive, my next cheaper option would be the hobarts.  Pepper, you may have forgot to mention that the wire is called dual shield (type not brand) and that it is different from regular flux core wire.  I don't want an argument but I will also say that I do not agree with your welding technique advice.  But that is a subject that nobody ever agrees on so we will leave it at that.
Justin Wulf
SP #w01

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2011, 11:27:09 am »
 I used Kevin's Welder ( our group organizer) and its I believe a 60's or 70's era Miller 220 Volt unit with gas. I am accustomed to my 110 flux core welder. After using Kevin's machine I am extremely tempted to get the gas attachment for my welder and go with non flux core wire because the welding was so much cleaner and easier. Not near the splatter.
Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing